ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #76
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
great, another parallel
I'm good with that......so how about this:

Ethics, you either have them or you don't.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #77
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
I'm good with that......so how about this:

Ethics, you either have them or you don't.....
Brain, you either have one or you don't.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #78
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
The laws aren't generally written in stone in plain sight all around us yet the judgment of our peers is ever apparent. Sadly I bet he didn't think he was "acting out" because society hasn't instilled in him (or the majority of our populace) the values that deem these actions as inappropriate. When a majority doesn't care about certain values, a majority doesn't teach their children about those values. He doesn't seem like the habitual offender type, the kind that wanted to act out to get the sort of response he is now getting. I'd view this a lot differently if he was a true deviant. But he's an average joe, a full-fledged member of our society and that's what's sad for everyone else.

Someone here posted that a Boy Scouts one night stay at a campground was apparent 5 years after the fact (presumably no practice of Leave No Trace)...what's that say? Fatty-pushed-rock didn't just pop out of the ground. Similarly, the kinds of riders who ride off the trail and roost unnecessarily have more in common with him than not, full-fledged members of our society who don't believe they're doing anything wrong until they have a few people bearing down on them with values more principled than they've ever experienced in their lives. I believe riding off the trail and unnecessarily wearing on any trail is almost the severity of crime that the rock-pusher committed, the only real difference is that what he did affected the enjoyment of more people than when an off-trail rider gets a trail closed, presumably. The reason I brought up the comparison w/ trail abusers is that this forum is probably full of people who abuse trails and IMO there's not much difference between that and what this guy did.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #79
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat734 View Post
Stone Fat Chance now

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #80
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Speaking of big heavy things falling and hurting children, this guy should not be around kids in case he trips.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #81
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,137
Leave him alone already. He just proved he likes to get his rocks off around little boys!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #82
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,986
Someone FB'ed me this petition...LOL

https://www.change.org/petitions/boy...ley-state-park
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #83
Tfogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Another way to look at this:

We mostly all own dirtbikes. Sooner or later, pretty much all of them are going to end up on their sides. Would it be ok, then, for someone to assume that if they came across one parked outside a restaurant, that they should be able to kick it over(to prevent harm to children, of course!)?
www.tfogwheelsports.com
85 XT350,04 WR250,87 VFR700 (75k miles and counting),01 FZ1 (54K miles and RIP )
Tfogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #84
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,986
I see a new news story says they have received death threats...wishing the boulder falls on you is not a threat.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/t...reats-20623696
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #85
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Leave him alone already. He just proved he likes to get his rocks off around little boys!
booooooo hisssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfogger View Post
Another way to look at this:

We mostly all own dirtbikes. Sooner or later, pretty much all of them are going to end up on their sides. Would it be ok, then, for someone to assume that if they came across one parked outside a restaurant, that they should be able to kick it over(to prevent harm to children, of course!)?
Wait, isn't that how it is now?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #86
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I see a new news story says they have received death threats...wishing the boulder falls on you is not a threat.

1) we already know the outcome, so 'wishing it fell the other way" is an empty threat.

2) the way the guy positioned himself was NOT smart. and I see no prob with pointing that out too. That rock would have cut the guy in half at the thigh.

3) C'mon death threats? From some tree hugging hippy eco activists I'm sure. The guy is already caught, he most definitely already knows he F'd up. And the State is going to HAVE to prosecute him now because of public pressure and to set an example.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #87
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post

Just moronic, at what point does a rock outweigh a human life? Anyone who wishes another person harm over a rock, or worse thinks their life is valued less than that stone is far worse a person than this guy is.

I'm not saying what he did is right, but it is just a rock after all, a rock 99.8% of us never knew existed. Wishing for bodily harm or death is vengeance, not justice.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #88
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I lived in Utah for about five years and only managed to make it down to some of these parks a few times, Goblin being one of them. Here is how I look at it:

It's a national park and it is a national park because of the unique formations, period. If it wasn't for those formations, it probably wouldn't have been singled out for that status. Defacing those formations is a crime, period. The guy obviously knew what he was doing and should face the consequences. It's not up to him to make a judgement call as to the safety of a national park. If he thought there was a hazard, he should have reported it and gone about his business.

I don't care about what people do on off road trails, it's irregardless of the fact and unrelated to this guy defacing a national park. If someone happens to be engaged in a lawful activity and happens to dislodge a rock or something, so be it, it's an accident. There is a difference between accidentally doing something and intentionally destroying a structure.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #89
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Not that it really matters, but It's a state park isn't it?

This reminds me of the case where some ancient art was actually sawed out of a rock formation in CA and stolen. I don't see much difference. It ruins it for everyone else. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...phs-recovered/

That was on BLM land, but it was still a valuable artifact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
I lived in Utah for about five years and only managed to make it down to some of these parks a few times, Goblin being one of them. Here is how I look at it:

It's a national park and it is a national park because of the unique formations, period. If it wasn't for those formations, it probably wouldn't have been singled out for that status. Defacing those formations is a crime, period. The guy obviously knew what he was doing and should face the consequences. It's not up to him to make a judgement call as to the safety of a national park. If he thought there was a hazard, he should have reported it and gone about his business.

I don't care about what people do on off road trails, it's irregardless of the fact and unrelated to this guy defacing a national park. If someone happens to be engaged in a lawful activity and happens to dislodge a rock or something, so be it, it's an accident. There is a difference between accidentally doing something and intentionally destroying a structure.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #90
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman002 View Post
Just moronic, at what point does a rock outweigh a human life? Anyone who wishes another person harm over a rock, or worse thinks their life is valued less than that stone is far worse a person than this guy is.

I'm not saying what he did is right, but it is just a rock after all, a rock 99.8% of us never knew existed. Wishing for bodily harm or death is vengeance, not justice.
Are you surprised by the death threats? The world is full of wackos and extremists who've discovered that with internet access and social media they can hide in the ether and say what ever they want w/o consequences. Probably some POS somewhere who play too many video games and has a badass complex.

I see this heading to the basement where there's already a lively discussion going on.

RideFreak screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 04:15 PM
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote