ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #91
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Are you surprised by the death threats? The world is full of wackos and extremists who've discovered that with internet access and social media they can hide in the ether and say what ever they want w/o consequences. Probably some POS somewhere who play too many video games and has a badass complex.
The keyboard is often an empowering device....

sorta like riding around in a cage, a false sense of power and entitlement.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #92
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Even if the Felony charges are light...still having that on your record F's you for the rest of your life, not to mention a video out there showing what you did for as long as the internet is around.

Like Trevor this just pisses me off.

I'm guessing these are the types that go into caves and touch everything and steal shit. Let me guess they are ATV'ers and ride anywhere they want because their fat fucking bodies can not go more then 20 feet.

Can you tell I'm pissed....

I shared this story on my FB page, I recommend everyone share it the more public out cry the more likely the max time they get. Maybe Sierra club is good for something let them mobilize their forces on these people.
This incident has gotten about as much coverage as the Land Rover/moto encounter in New York. Now if we could just find someway to combine the two.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #93
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Not that it really matters, but It's a state park isn't it?

This reminds me of the case where some ancient art was actually sawed out of a rock formation in CA and stolen. I don't see much difference. It ruins it for everyone else. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...phs-recovered/

That was on BLM land, but it was still a valuable artifact.
State, national, same difference - you know what I mean
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #94
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
This incident has gotten about as much coverage as the Land Rover/moto encounter in New York. Now if we could just find someway to combine the two.
You know what, why shouldn't it get that amount of attention? There seems to be a general lack of people in our society anymore for taking accountability for their own actions. You've got jackasses out there robbing and killing people, filming it in its entirety, and then posting it up on Facebook, Myspace, whatever. This guy seems to be taking accountability and I'll give him props for that, but now he needs to pay the price for it. There doesn't seem to be much deterrence anymore for people, let them start seeing people get felony charges for knocking over a rock - maybe they will think about it next time.

I also think these incidents are wake up calls for all you (I mean the population as a whole, not one person specifically) morons out there that think you need to film every waking moment of your life on your phones or GoPro cameras. While video can help you, I think more often than not it does just the opposite And if you do, quit posting it up on the internet for the entire world to see.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #95
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
And if you do, quit posting it up on the internet for the entire world to see.
And now the Mom of the girl that bullied a girl to death in FL has had that lesson too.

She claimed her daughter doesn't bully, claimed she monitored her daughter's online activities and so when police looked into the death of the first girl they found a video of the mom beating the crap out of another kid, posted online by yet another kid.

SO I guess the question I have is WHERE THE HELL were everyone else on facebook that didn't report that abuse and maybe could have saved a tiny amount of torment for the innocent and beautiful little girl that killed herself because this family of losers thought they were better than her?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #96
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman View Post
State, national, same difference - you know what I mean
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #97
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434

wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #98
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Yeah, but did the rock fall down?

Not to worry. I understand that rock is located on private property...a little place that sells gas and the occasional hamburger...cooked by a friendly lady...somewhere south of Moab.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #99
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Leave him alone already. He just proved he likes to get his rocks off around little boys!
Where is the like button

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #100
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Thumbs down New "Rock Star"

Utah will fine him, give him community service & he'll have to put the rock back & super glue it back in place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I think the thing that rubs most people wrong is the lie...it took fatty a lot to push the rock over.

He did not just walk up to it and touch it, and it for sure did not wiggle, and if it did they should of filmed it as proof.

The statement that some poor kid could of been killed sounded more like what you say jokingly to justify your actions. We all have mad dumb statements after doing something.

Dave Hall is a good speaker, he surely could of did a better job explaining why they wanted to do what they did before they did it on video. I think they did it just for shits & giggles and if you look at all the comments on many news sites the majority of the people seem to say the same thing that he is guilty and the felony fits (every once in a blue moon someone says "it's just a rock". ....after all its laid out in UT's law what they did is a felony *shrug* That is not my law, that is not opinion that is fact. Also criminal trespassing fits because they went on land that is not their own to do harm to that property. I guess we will see what he is charged with...and then what he ends up getting. One thing is for sure at least they all will be out of time and money to defend themselves....although they seem like they have done good in life no one wants to drops $10,000 - $20,000 on lawyer fees....and a lawyer is going to charge a lot if a felony charge is mentioned.

I'm still with Glenn getting the max, Dave just filmed, and Dylan was just a stupid young adult.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #101
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymcgee View Post
As much as this sucks, I'll play devil's advocate for a minute.

Is it possible they are just ignorant and didn't realize what they were doing or the significance of it? When I was younger, I used to go play in the woods and push boulders down hills and try to break logs and other dumb stuff. I don't do that now because frankly what's the point.

I realize ignorance is no defense, and they should be punished, but I'm doubting they did anything with malice. I think they truly didn't realize what they were doing.
The Boy Scouts have a policy of leave no trace. These guys were not well trained or ignored their training. Did you push boulders down the hill in a NP? I agree, maybe not malice. But it was destructive to a NP.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #102
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
What fat ignorant pigs. Lying fat sloths that call themselves boy scout leaders and religious leaders, typical hypocritical slobs.
mrphotoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #103
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
I say fine them all, whatever amount it costs to get a crane to lift the rock back up and put it back where it was. Mortar, rebar, whatever it takes. Community service, however long it takes to replace the rock, and to make it safe for all the little kids they were so worried about. Make them give a public apology, again on Youtube. Then take them out and shoot them for being such idiots.

And just think of all the free advertising the park gets.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #104
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
The laws aren't generally written in stone in plain sight all around us yet the judgment of our peers is ever apparent. Sadly I bet he didn't think he was "acting out" because society hasn't instilled in him (or the majority of our populace) the values that deem these actions as inappropriate. When a majority doesn't care about certain values, a majority doesn't teach their children about those values. He doesn't seem like the habitual offender type, the kind that wanted to act out to get the sort of response he is now getting. I'd view this a lot differently if he was a true deviant. But he's an average joe, a full-fledged member of our society and that's what's sad for everyone else.

Someone here posted that a Boy Scouts one night stay at a campground was apparent 5 years after the fact (presumably no practice of Leave No Trace)...what's that say? Fatty-pushed-rock didn't just pop out of the ground. Similarly, the kinds of riders who ride off the trail and roost unnecessarily have more in common with him than not, full-fledged members of our society who don't believe they're doing anything wrong until they have a few people bearing down on them with values more principled than they've ever experienced in their lives. I believe riding off the trail and unnecessarily wearing on any trail is almost the severity of crime that the rock-pusher committed, the only real difference is that what he did affected the enjoyment of more people than when an off-trail rider gets a trail closed, presumably. The reason I brought up the comparison w/ trail abusers is that this forum is probably full of people who abuse trails and IMO there's not much difference between that and what this guy did.
+1 on this! One of the many things that makes OUR country great is the abundance of public land. When Stupid and inconsiderate Mother-truckers willfully destroy them then the agencies that are hired to manage them are left with few choices ie closed trails and campgrounds.

The video is as disgusting as anything I've ever seen. I've done my share of "rock rolling" But when I was a teenager I was all about the Sierra Club and Green Peace. I knew not to destroy shit in protected areas, no one had to tell me it was wrong I just knew it had been there for a long time and it was not mine to F with. It saddens me to go to Arches and other remote places in the desert southwest to find restrictive signs and I am not able to hike the same places with my kids that we hiked freely when we were young, and this is because of shitheads like these.
Rant off.

Ps. If Obama had a rock it would look like that rock, sad
delta21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #105
bmwgo
I love moto's

Oddometer: 183
I liked it better when there was no BLM, fewer park rangers and no fences. Everywhere I go in Nor Cal there are fences. It's just silly revenue gathering politicians. To much government. California off-road riding absolutely kicked ass in the 70's.

These are just kids farting around with rocks. And people a pissed?

In five minutes the Monster energy rerun of last nights race is on, the rock sits quietly enjoying its new spot on earth. It's a nice day.
bmwgo is offline   Reply With Quote