ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #106
bmwgo
I love moto's

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
The BLM was formed in 1946. If you were riding then, you must be pretty long in the tooth.

No, these are adults in a position of leadership who should know better farting around with a significant and unique natural area.

If I spray-bombed Mt. Rushmore, would I be "farting around" with it?
Im 53. Rode Mojave and So Cal desert for years without a uniform officer bitching me out for tiki torches in my camp or shooting guns. Defacing a monument and pushing over a couple rocks are hardly comparable. Give it a rest Mr Ranger.

Those kids must have been on the POT!
bmwgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #107
bmwgo
I love moto's

Quote:
I was never a Ranger. As a matter of fact, I have a deep antipathy toward the US Park service because several officers of that organization held me and my brother (eight and nine years old, respectively) at gun point because we came upon them looting a summer house. I did spend six years working for a private organization that worked closely with the Forest Service, who I found to be generally good guys back then. Unfortunately, the USFS has in many ways gone in wrong directions. My boss was a four-wheel enthusiast, a local boy, and worked hard to insure access to the back country for a wide range of activities, not just the greenies or the motorheads. I'm sure that I have as much or more interest in open access as you do.

As a matter of fact, I can go out and bush camp and have a fire or tiki torches here, as long as I'm a specified distance from the road. I've never been hassled. My state actually provides quite a number of designated campsites back in the woods for free. I've used them frequently and have never even SEEN a ranger at a campsite. The last time I saw a ranger, I was headed up into the woods on my dual-sport. He gave me a friendly wave. That was two years ago. Since the places are generally treated with respect, we're able to use them without hassle.

I still don't think you've grasped the point here. These were NOT KIDS that did this. They were adults who should have known better, and this sort of crap hurts everyone's freedom of access.

I'm sorry you live in California. From the time I've spent there, I found it was one of the most over-policed and restrictive states I've ever been. You certainly have some lovely landscape there, but if I never set foot within your state again, I'll be well satisfied.
Less government, fences and rangers. That's what I like. Yet some of you still bitching about rocks. Closet Sierra club maybe?

Your opinion of my state is pointless. Now off yer soap box and put on your "Proud to be a Cali-hater" T.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #108
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillet knife View Post
Less government, fences and rangers. That's what I like. Yet some of you still bitching about rocks. Closet Sierra club maybe?

Your opinion of my state is pointless. Now off yer soap box and put on your "Proud to be a Cali-hater" T.
In Death valley, there's a tiny pool of water with a unique species of fish. It'd be no big deal to poison them, there's just insignificant fish.

Someone took a concrete saw and chisled out a petroglyph in The Mojave. No big deal, it was just a drawing on a rock.

You say "it's just a rock" And then with a straight face you wonder why there are more fences and restrictions? That rock, and all the others is the EXACT reason that park exists, and the reason people go there. It's not 'just a rock' It is part of something really rare, really beautiful and unique. At least it was until some asshat turned it into a boulder on the ground.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #109
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
In Death valley, there's a tiny pool of water with a unique species of fish. It'd be no big deal to poison them, there's just insignificant fish.

Someone took a concrete saw and chisled out a petroglyph in The Mojave. No big deal, it was just a drawing on a rock.

You say "it's just a rock" And then with a straight face you wonder why there are more fences and restrictions? That rock, and all the others is the EXACT reason that park exists, and the reason people go there. It's not 'just a rock' It is part of something really rare, really beautiful and unique. At least it was until some asshat turned it into a boulder on the ground.
Yessir, that is what most of our protected areas are all about. Well said.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #110
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,702
Man Who Toppled Ancient Rock Suing for Disability

http://news.yahoo.com/man-toppled-an...opstories.html
Old 10-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #111
Lovin' it Strom
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post

AFTER all the hoopla and a video....whadda genius!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #112
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,618
Quote:

Unfreakin' believable! I'd almost believe that someone made up that law suit story after all that's happened up to this point. The sh!t just keeps getting deeper with this guy.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #113
bmwgo
I love moto's

Quote:
No, I'm not Sierra Club. Your state sucks because everything that is not prohibited is compulsory. You have too many rules and insufficient responsibility.

California has to be the worst state for liberty I've seen, and for that I sincerely apologize. The way you started out, it should have been otherwise. I hoped you'd have it sorted out by now. I've never been any place nor experienced any environment worse for my soul, and I shit you not. I'd like to enjoy the country, but it's impossible. As I said, it's pleasant to look at, but I can't go anywhere in California without a sign prohibiting something or some dumb strung-out bastard pointing a gun at me. You've got it mixed up. I lived up in the Redwoods near Mendocino/Fort Bragg for a year. Although it's great hiking, you can't hike there. You may stumble across a dope farm and get shot. Happens all the time.

I'm sad for that, as I know a lot of good people there.

I went over to Maine last weekend on the KLR. I'd rented a cabin by the shore of a nice little lake. We New Englanders don't try to yell at one another much. I've been looking toward Canada as a model of how folks should get along. I happened to park in the Californian lot rather than the New England lot. I got confused between "Sunset Cabins" and "Sunset Lodge". Let me tell you, I had a good time in Maine, but it wasn't much pleasant with the Californians. My few inches of rear tire on their patch of land apparently upset them beyond distraction. It would be much better if we got along Ace, and your folk wouldn't get so hot on a small topic. I won't step on your turf unless invited. I'd expect the same from you. Deal?

Greetings From The First Republic. We top you anyway in natural rights, latecomer.

Go and ride Canada. You'll find how a proper society works. No one points a gun at you there. They shake your hand and invite you into their homes, no matter how far off they are. You've lost your way. I think we all may have.

You don't ride over, pitch over or break and ancient rock formations. Simple truth.

y
That was a waste of your time. Do you really think I'd waste my time reading your lengthy dribble? Hell no man. Go hug a tree Ethug. *giggle*
Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #114
bmwgo
I love moto's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post

You're right. I regress. Sorry bout your rock. And I promise to stay on the trail when I'm on the 250F.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #115
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Unfreakin' believable! I'd almost believe that someone made up that law suit story after all that's happened up to this point. The sh!t just keeps getting deeper with this guy.

The story said he started the suit like 9 months ago.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #116
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
The story said he started the suit like 9 months ago.
Yep, old suit from a car crash. The man whose daughter crashed into Mr. Rocky just got a free pass on the lawsuit with that video. If I am his attorney, I would be asking for full dismissal and counter suing
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #117
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
No offense taken. Your type of troll is usually barely literate, and there weren't any pictures. Maybe an adult will read it to you sometime. Glad you're in Cali where "the authorities" can keep tabs on you for the rest of us.
Why dont you go F@@$ 'yer self and go back Canada if it's so great there. I've been there and I thought it sucked.
BTW this is the Rocky Mountain forum, not the liberal North East anti gun forum. To the basement with you!
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #118
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Nope! It was on the national news this AM, along with the girl he is suing for disability payments in a civil lawsuit he filed just last month claiming "serious, permanent and debilitating injuries" from a car accident 4 years ago.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #119
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Nope! It was on the national news this AM, along with the girl he is suing for disability payments in a civil lawsuit he filed just last month claiming "serious, permanent and debilitating injuries" from a car accident 4 years ago.

Sometimes a rock is just a rock. This particular rock has ruined his life pretty thoroughly.

If only he had belonged to some sort of organization as a boy that could have taught him to leave no trace when he was in the wilderness
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #120
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Well it's international news now.
On our local news sites too.

Did anyone sse how deep that rock dropped?
Three feet?
Save kids? Yeah right.

I see clear intent to damage the rock itself, and some serious effort put into it too.
That quite sets it apart from uprooting rocks when passing by in my book.
Not that I would ever go dirtbiking in a closed national park anyway.

I don't think he should hang for it, but a suitable punishment (a fine? Community service?) and a public apology (instead of fabricating some lame excuse) would be in place I think.

But really, some of you guys (on both sides)?
Schussboelie is online now   Reply With Quote