Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,410
Anybody get a ride on the new Vulcan 650S yet?

I've never owned a cruiser, but the littlelest Vulcan has really piqued my interest. Think it looks awesome in white (without the stupid green wheel stripes). I haven't found much in the way of (good, professional) reviews on it. May toodle over to the dealer soon to sit on one. The ergo-fit thing is pretty cool too, and makes you wonder why more manufacturers didn't do that sooner. Anybody manage to get a ride on one or own one yet?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,095
I haven't as of yet, however there is a very positive review by Bruce Steever in the April 2015 MCN.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Looked at one.
Was more impressed with the CTX 700 naked.
Better handling, better mileage
Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Many cruisers look great but, the weight has always kept me away from them. I sat on a Vulcan 650S at the dealer expecting it to be another block of lead & was pleasantly surprised when it popped up off the stand feeling not much heavier than the CB 500F I rode in on. It must carry it's weight down low as it has a claimed weight of 498lbs.

It was the white one & I thought it looked GREAT, much better in person than in pictures. Fit & finish all seem to be of quality but, I wasn't looking too seriously at the bike. I just found myself thinking about it more & more as I rode home. I'd love to get a test ride on one myself as I'm far more impressed with the Vulcan S than any other cruiser I've seen. I like the idea of it being a P-twin which breaks the image of it being a "Harley clone".

I'm thinking it will be a big seller for Kawasaki & hopefully it will inspire an 800-1000cc (as long as the weight stays down) "big brother". The Vulcan S has the best chance of putting me on a cruiser of anything available so far.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
Looked at one.
Was more impressed with the CTX 700 naked.
Better handling, better mileage
Did you come to this conclusion from an actual ride or did you figure it out from a simple "look"? Nothing wrong with liking what you like but, a test ride can often change your mind.

I do like the look of the CTX but, I didn't see any claim of wet weight on the Honda web site.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Did you come to this conclusion from an actual ride or did you figure it out from a simple "look"? Nothing wrong with liking what you like but, a test ride can often change your mind.

I do like the look of the CTX but, I didn't see any claim of wet weight on the Honda web site.
A ride on each.
The CTX was more responsive through the gears in my opinion.
It's almost 500 lbs. but felt a lot lighter to me. Stopped well and shifted real nice. The forward pegs were different from my V Strom, but not a deal killer.
As a result of the rides, I sold my '08 DL 1000 and got a naked CTX (red).
I will be adding a windshield, no bags (I used to carry too much crap), have small tail bag. Doesn't need much else for me. Didn't buy it for mpg but it's been 65 or so on the first 4 tanks. Not as soft a ride as the Strom(or previous bikes-better than my Triumph America though) but it is what it is. 6400 rev line takes getting used to-so you work the gears 2500 - 5500 instead of 3500 - 7500(or more). Does it for me.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Many cruisers look great but, the weight has always kept me away from them. I sat on a Vulcan 650S at the dealer expecting it to be another block of lead & was pleasantly surprised when it popped up off the stand feeling not much heavier than the CB 500F I rode in on. It must carry it's weight down low as it has a claimed weight of 498lbs.

It was the white one & I thought it looked GREAT, much better in person than in pictures. Fit & finish all seem to be of quality but, I wasn't looking too seriously at the bike. I just found myself thinking about it more & more as I rode home. I'd love to get a test ride on one myself as I'm far more impressed with the Vulcan S than any other cruiser I've seen. I like the idea of it being a P-twin which breaks the image of it being a "Harley clone".

I'm thinking it will be a big seller for Kawasaki & hopefully it will inspire an 800-1000cc (as long as the weight stays down) "big brother". The Vulcan S has the best chance of putting me on a cruiser of anything available so far.
Ditto....I've never owned a cruiser, but the new Vulcan has me questioning my "cycle orientation..."

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
jwoods986
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Ditto....I've never owned a cruiser, but the new Vulcan has me questioning my "cycle orientation..."
I've never owned a cruiser either, but would consider one now since I rode my first one last Fall. The Vulcan S is interesting, and worth a look, but if you're looking for something that is not a Harley clone, don't forget about the Triumph cruisers, they have parallel twins too.

I was expecting this S to sell well, and hope it does, but I was at an Open House on Sat and they had demo rides going with 4 bikes to choose from - an 1190 adv, super duke, CB1100, and the new Vulcan S. By the time I got there, the rides were over, but I was looking at the sign-up sheets, and ONE person had ridden the S all day! Not good. Of course, the 2 KTMs had pretty full sheets, but even the CB (which isn't exactly selling like hotcakes) had about 4 names on it.
jwoods986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsdave View Post
A ride on each.
The CTX was more responsive through the gears in my opinion.
It's almost 500 lbs. but felt a lot lighter to me. Stopped well and shifted real nice. The forward pegs were different from my V Strom, but not a deal killer.
As a result of the rides, I sold my '08 DL 1000 and got a naked CTX (red).
I will be adding a windshield, no bags (I used to carry too much crap), have small tail bag. Doesn't need much else for me. Didn't buy it for mpg but it's been 65 or so on the first 4 tanks. Not as soft a ride as the Strom(or previous bikes-better than my Triumph America though) but it is what it is. 6400 rev line takes getting used to-so you work the gears 2500 - 5500 instead of 3500 - 7500(or more). Does it for me.
Does it have the "frunk" like the NC700X? The frunk is an awesome bonus compared to any machine. Weight wise they are about the same & C.O.G. could easily be lower on the CTX.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,858
The 600S is included in a small cruiser comparo in the June issue of Motorcyclist. It came in second behind the Bolt, and ahead of,(from 3rd to 6th), the Triumph America, Honda CTX700N, Suzuki Blvd M50, Harley Street 750. Comments were generally positive. The biggest negative was limited rear suspension travel(kinda normal for cruisers, it seems). They really liked the adjustable ergos.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Does it have the "frunk" like the NC700X? The frunk is an awesome bonus compared to any machine. Weight wise they are about the same & C.O.G. could easily be lower on the CTX.
no frunk
a small cubby in front of the tank fill (which is not under the rear seat) but is under a lift up access cover and a little room under the seat
it handles surprisingly well once you get used to the feet forward position
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
tradmark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Yup, just picked up my wifes in grapevine texas this weekend. The custom fitting they did allowed it to fit her perfectly. My summation is that its a little
Light cruiser that will do highway speeds easily, its very stable. I was able to overtake on the highway easily in top gear at 80 and the lil thing shot up to 90 pretty quick. It handles very well, enough so that she can have some fun at trackdays with us. This with me being 290lbs with riding gear on. She rode
It today and loved it. She rode for 3 hrs tonight and quite frankly couldnt think of a more perfect bike for her and ill admit, it doesnt trip the trigger for me like the vmax or my ninja 1000 but its a fun fun bike to ride and id have no qualms about taking it as far as i wanted to go.
tradmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #13
quasigentrified
Ape Trumpet

Oddometer: 865
brother picked his green one up last week. gonna see if he'll let me ride it this weekend...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
LuciferMutt OP
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradmark View Post
Yup, just picked up my wifes in grapevine texas this weekend. The custom fitting they did allowed it to fit her perfectly. My summation is that its a little
Light cruiser that will do highway speeds easily, its very stable. I was able to overtake on the highway easily in top gear at 80 and the lil thing shot up to 90 pretty quick. It handles very well, enough so that she can have some fun at trackdays with us. This with me being 290lbs with riding gear on. She rode
It today and loved it. She rode for 3 hrs tonight and quite frankly couldnt think of a more perfect bike for her and ill admit, it doesnt trip the trigger for me like the vmax or my ninja 1000 but its a fun fun bike to ride and id have no qualms about taking it as far as i wanted to go.
Great input, thanks!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 6,183
Quote:

Test ride a Bolt too if you can. It's 540lbs same as a Honda CB1100, but the weight is carried low.

They handle great and have a neutral seating position.
Naturally, the common people don't want war; ... the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country - Hermann Goring
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote