Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb BMW K1600 GTL & HP4 Comp*All Our Love Stories*The Adventures of Baby G& Bit Girl &...

"All Our Love Stories" is an invitation from this thread FOR ALL OF YOU to share the special relationships you have to your bikes.

Here, everyone is encouraged to share your motorcycle stories. We love pictures, so please post as many as you can!

b201407030643 75f

BMW HP4 Competition Comp Motorcycle & BMW K1600 GTL

*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International

ClifNotes screwed with this post Yesterday at 08:10 AM
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

Attraction Capability Focus

My first bike was the BMW K1600 GTL. Despite her mechanical challenges, I decided to keep her because I had grown to love her.

Motorcycles are a curiosity and interest to me in the illogical behavior they seem to compel from their riders.

I named my K16 "Baby Girl."

My HP4 Competition will be called "Bit Girl." I named her that because she's "a bit" of the weight of her elder sis, the K16.

Initially, I thought Bit was only 250 pounds. But I'm also reading figures that place her around 400.

I don't know what the slipper clutch does, nor how to use it. I'm happy to learn if you want to teach me.

Rather recently, I went from having a slight aversion of bikes to a full out addiction. My family has attempted many "interventions," including yesterday where my dad instituted a very expensive "tax" or monthly charge for the expected arrival of Bit.

The addiction has been very costly. I now have two jobs (I had three, but I got fired from Subway). I'm also in training for a 3rd job that's motorcycle related.

The intensity of work and study has resulted in a brutal schedule. Most mornings (like today), I woke before 4 AM. Previously, the Subway schedule had kept me up at night until 11 PM or midnight. The first 6 weeks was literal torture. Now, I'm used to it.

I feel the "forced evolution" as a result to maintain my expensive habit offers a lot of life lessons.

First, and probably the most powerful, is the "Law of Attraction." Esther Hicks emphasizes the necessity of "feeling as if you already have it."

Even when I was struggling just to keep up with Baby G's payments, I had collected as many pictures of the HP4 as I could. I often went online to look for photos. I told everyone I had paid a deposit (even though it was really just a small amount to hold a place in the wait list).

The Second lesson I experienced was that we are capable of much more than we can imagine.

Several months ago, I received an email that my HP4 had gone into production. My first internal response was, "Oh no." I was sometimes sleeping in my car to avoid rent costs, because it was more important for me to keep Baby G rather than have a roof over my head (and heat!)

How was a guy that was basically homeless supposed to afford a brand new HP4?

Third lesson: Focus.

I applied everywhere for jobs. My 2nd and 3rd jobs hired me on the same day. I didn't have the time nor luxury to acclimate to the new demands.

No matter how much coffee or green tea I drank, I couldn't stay awake. Sometimes, I would catch myself at work falling asleep even while I was standing up.

All I could do was "focus."

Several days ago, I was at one of San Jose's most expensive hotels and I walked past a young couple taking a nap together under sun by the pool. At the risk of looking like I was checking the guy out, I backed up after walking past him to read his tattoo:

"You don't know how strong you are until all you have left is to be strong."

My next goal is not only to keep up with payments for BG (Baby Girl) and Bit, but also to purchase land and build my own house. Maybe the land can be big enough to have motorcycle classes on its parking lot.

I envision my house to have garage doors instead of normal ones. I want to ride the bikes straight into the house. And when I leave, ride out through the other garage door.

Hello, My name is Clif and I'm an Addict.

b201407030643 e201407030826 75f
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International

ClifNotes screwed with this post 07-03-2014 at 08:33 AM
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 811
Hey Clif,

Glad things are still moving forward on your new path of living with an addiction

The HP4 is an amazing piece of machinery and it would be really worth while to attend a track day school to learn about her capabilities in a controlled environment and pick up a few pointers to incorporate into your riding skill set.

It will be a whole new level of performance from the 1600 and it is not lacking in it's own right.

Take care and Cheers

bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

Cry Hi BobW

Bob!

Thanks for being the first to reply to our adventures.

I just took the BRC again, over the last few weeks. I'm also signed up for more advanced riding courses that will start in about a week.

Right now, I'm answering questions to a worksheet about motorcycles.

Sport bikes are a different breed from touring bikes, right?

I test rode the S1000RR about three times. The 2nd time, I was in 2nd gear and slowing down for a traffic light. I was riding with one hand. I tried to scoot up more in the seat and pulled back the throttle A LITTLE.

Man, that thing took off like a kid after an ice cream truck. I nearly became completely separated from the steed.

(The "happy one that's rolling around" and "the blue one" was placed here by request from Elsa. She's 4 years old).
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 577
Cliff, your story is... Interesting.

You certainly have great taste in bikes.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

Thanks!

Hi Stripple, thanks for your comment and stopping by!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

The Stork Flies Tonight

201407072131 fcn

(I named my BMW K1600 GTL Baby Girl. And the HP4 is named Bit Girl).

This entry is difficult for me to write because it flat out displays inconsistencies in my emotions and statements. But if my writing will have any value, I'd like honesty as much as possible.

The HP4 has been this... symbol or "thing" in my life that I've always swooned over. Every article I read about it, whether in a magazine or online, made me fall in love with it more. I irritated dealerships by taking extra brochures. Pictures of her are all over my room.

Esther Hicks would describe my feelings as "resistance." I am going to describe IT more before I let it go completely.

I think what occurred is that every single time I thought about the HP4 (which was a lot), it existed in this category in my mind of "the divine." It was just so, so far above and away from me.

From some perspectives, I'm an imperfect, dumb, and broken thing. But the HP4... I would never see it in real life, I would never be able to touch it. Riding it? "Yeah right!"

There was a mythological quality about the HP4. Most BMW dealerships didn't even have one I could look at.

One analogy I can think of is when I was in Manhattan (NY) and a lady said "hi" to me. I looked at her and instead of seeing the friendship and joy in her being, I was struck dumb and turned away, and kept walking as if it was my imagination.

It was Renée Zellweger. I've regretted my response ever since.

I'm really sensitive to energies, and I know she wanted to have a conversation, and for whatever reason, I wasn't ready.

I've realized now that through this entire process of chasing after the HP4, so much of my emotion was saying, "You'll never have her! Bit Girl is for adventurous billionaires! You're not good enough. You're not in her league!"

So when I didn't have money and could barely pay for Baby G (bmw k1600 gtl), I was thinking, "You don't have money to get Bit Girl!" (Though at that time she wasn't named yet).

When I got 3 jobs to prepare paying for Bit Girl, I thought, "You'll get fired and you still won't have money for Bit Girl."

When I didn't have time to line up insurance for Bit
--> "It's taking too long to get insurance. Bit Girl will go to another!"

When I was promised transportation that was being arranged for Bit (because there are no dealerships within a 350 mile radius that has an HP4)
--> "Transport? You already bought the bike! It'll take weeks or months to get her! In fact, you'll never get her!"

(I feel like I want to when I read this. I can't believe all this B*** Sh** is sloshing around in my head).

Then today, I got the email that said:
SHE WILL BE DELIVERED TOMORROW BEFORE NOON.

That's when my mixed feelings started. At first, I felt a tinge of unworthiness, like I didn't deserve to have the best sport bike in the world. Then after that, the feeling manifested itself in thoughts like, "I don't even want the HP4."

Well, I do want the HP4. The problem is not the HP4. The problem is I don't think I deserve her.

So... I said it.

Now, I'm going to work on letting go of my feelings of unworthiness. I'm going to work towards shaping myself as well as possible towards the perfection and intensity I see in Bit Girl.

While I was writing this, the question came, "Why didn't you have these feelings about the K16?"

When I bought that motorcycle, I didn't even have my M1 yet. I didn't know the difference between a sport or touring bike. I just knew that since Bill recommended it, I should get it. I didn't begin to realize how amazing the K16 was until on our Alaska tour, people would stop and take photos of it.

I was thinking, "Why are people taking pictures of it? Why are they posing in front of it?"

Later, I would come to learn what an amazing bike it is. (I guess kind of like if I had met Renée Zellweger without knowing she was a major movie star, I would have just stopped to chat with her).

The lesson?

Dreams come true as soon as you believe in them. You're allowed a slight "bit" of doubt (pun intended); but not too much.

Esther Hicks: "What's next?"

Anthony Robbins: "Raise your standards."

Today I was sitting on a dirty sidewalk in front of 7-11 reading motorcycle texts. The sky was a beautiful grey with clouds that flared with a pink-orange from the setting sun.

And somewhere above that, far away, is a stork flapping its monstrous wings. And in its beak (or correct or not, I see it in its belly), an HP4 by itself, soon to be let loose on the Bay Area traffic.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
judgebill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Riding a motorcycle is like falling in love

Clif's story about "Bit Girl" is like a movie; he sees a picture of a new girl, decides she's pretty and interesting and begins to look for her. He finds her in pictures, in stories, in books, in advertisements and falls more and more in love. He invests time and energy and money in her, buying magazines, reading artiles, visiting dealerships all in the hopes of seeing and spending more time with her. As his "date" approaches he is more and more excited. One can only hope the love affair continues.
I was present when he met and ultimately fell in love with Baby Girl, his K1600GTL. He was tentative at first, a bit scared and uncertain about the relationship. As the days went by and Baby Girl proved her true worth he became more and more infatuated with her. Ultimately, on our great Alaska adventure, he fell deeply in love with Baby Girl, talked about a lifetime of riding and enjoying her (and her sisters). Today, some 2 years after he was first introduced to motorcycle riding, Clif is, to use his own words, an addict. He has fullly converted to motorcycle mania, is an apostle, a disciple and an advocate. He reads, sleeps and dreams of Bit Girl and Baby Girl and writes about them and his adventures.
I sympathize with him. I too have become a convert, finding riding not merely a passion buta necessity. To ride is to live in a separate world that is of one's own making. Riding is a way of life, whether one rides dailly or monthly, whether it is to ride to the corner grocer for a box of crackers or to the other side of the continent just to see if it's still there. To ride is to be alive in a special way. Clif has found his special way and I love that he is sharing it here. Thanks, Clif, for expressing and exposing yourself this way. We who ride salute you for your openess.
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

Thank You Bill!

Bill, Thanks very much for joining us! I appreciate your time to provide the true context that I missed.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

Photo of Bit Girl & Baby G together

Old 07-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #11
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

201407082256 fcn

201407082256 fcn

I called home from my work at the gym and discovered Bit Girl had been dropped off. I asked my mom to tip the drivers $40, but they politely refused the tip.

I had less than one hour between my gym job and my work for the medical doctors. The problem was that Bit Girl was in another city - and pretty far.

The rational thing to do would be to eat some food and go to my next job. But love or whatever I was feeling wasn't rational and I sped home on Baby G. I looked for Bit Girl as I approached the house. I saw a little blue thing on the driveway and I heard myself say "H*** S***" in my helmet.

I parked Baby G and ran into the house with my helmet still on. "Mom, where's the key?"

I got the key, jumped on Bit Girl, and took off. I was late to my medical job. My mom said as I was leaving, "It's a new bike so be careful!" (She somehow knew that bikes take time to acclimate to).

I had imagined my first meeting with Bit Girl would be this really long, patient process of looking the bike over, checking the controls, making sure my feet were planted in the right place, figuring out what all the readouts were. Instead, I found myself riding to work on a bike that I didn't look over at all.

Then on the freeway, I got into a "tangle" with a teenager that probably got his brand new Tesla from his mommy and daddy. We went at it a bit. It was easy to out-accelerate him, but I let him take the lead when I realized the legal consequences it could cause. At least he led the way on the freeway and thereby got me to work on time.

When I had lunch time at my medical job, I had nothing to eat. Unlike Baby G, there was no cargo space in the HP4. I spent a great deal of time staring at Bit Girl, and was soon joined by security - who had lots of questions about the new bike.

After the medical job, I rode Bit Girl to the gym where I found my lunch in the locker. Then, I went home to dump papers out of the back of my shirt, where I stuffed papers I needed to carry. I went to Target to look for something to stabilize my glasses while I ride Bit Girl. I was directed by Seo to a Japanese Market, where I found eye-glass bands. On the way to the Japanese place, a teen passenger asked, "Is that an HP4?"
"Yes," I said.
"That's sick," he said.
"You can get one!" I told him. "My dealer can get you one!"

They followed me a while to stare at Bit Girl.

I went back to Target to get new shoes for my med job.

I went home and talked all through dinner and all through the night about Bit Girl.

My dad and brother don't like Bit Girl. My dad wouldn't even go outside to see her - he would only see her through the window of our house. My brother wouldn't go outside to see her - he still hasn't seen Bit Girl. He thinks I'll die on Bit Girl.

That hurts my feelings. But I don't care. I love Bit Girl and that's all that matters.

I still feel Bit Girl isn't my bike. I ride her to get places, but she still doesn't feel like mine. I think over time, we'll bond.

I'm so exhausted now. Last night I couldn't sleep because of anxiety over getting Bit Girl.

Tonight, I've delayed sleep to "process" (writing here) my mixed emotions about Bit Girl.

Oh… what is it like to ride her? It is… nice. But it can also quickly be terrifying. The HP4 technology doesn't just "move you." The HP4 makes you feel like you're being thrown.

The wind is so strong that it twists my helmet around my head a bit. I either need to slow down, or get a new helmet, or both - lol.

During my first ride on Bit, I was thinking, "It's not a bit GIRL at all! It's too powerful to be (what I associate) a girl." So I thought I misnamed her.

But then, it's not a girl or a man - it's a machine; a very, very powerful machine.

One characteristic I'm still surprised by is how small Bit is. Somehow, the photos and my worship of the bike made the HP4 seem GIANT in my imagination.

But she's so small!

How??? How can something that tiny produce that much power?

e201407082326
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

201407090731 75f

201407090731 75f

My first ride on BitGirl was in Rain Mode. I noticed the dealership had made that pre-setting before sending her out to me. By the time I rode her back home from the gym, she was in Sport mode. I do not intend to ever ride her in race mode, as I've heard that allows wheelies and I don't want to do that.

My right wrist is hurting pretty bad, especially when I bend it. (I'm icing it with frozen stringcheese sticks).That shows the ferocity of BitGirl, I think. She's simply configured for racing and on the bumpy Bay Area freeways, the impacts transfer straight into the hand and arms.

I went through some forums to check on BitG's normal running temps. It seems what I'm reading is in line with what others are posting.

BitG gets burning hot - I mean really to the point of pain, especially on my knees. Others posted about that too and they said they are getting heat guards etc.

This morning though, I was very grateful for how hot she gets. I rode out to the gym about 4 AM with only a short sleeve T-shirt on. Ever since I started riding her, I've been conscious of how much I take with me on our adventures. BabyG could carry anything - like a huge strong horse; but BitG just doesn't have cargo space.

Anyway, 4 AM was SOOO COLD. When we got to the stoplights, or riding on city streets, I found I could warm my hand by placing it over the "fins"... or whatever those are. (HP4s and S1000RRs look kind of like Sharks right? The "fins" part). I try not to take a hand off while on the freeway. (I had to yesterday stabilizing my glasses, but I got the glasses tighteners - or whatever - yesterday in the evening).

It's fascinating to me how the modern motorcycles so closely resemble horses, or animals that humans have been riding for millenniums. (Is "millennia" plural or only 1,000 years?)

A couple days ago, I was making a turn out of my neighborhood (obviously on BabyG, as BitG hadn't arrived yet) and this medium sized dog ... or pretty large dog was barking like he wanted to eat me! The owner was impressed by his dog's aggressiveness and smiled broadly as he stopped to watch his dog go crazy. At that time, I was thinking that maybe dogs are so aggressive to motorcycle riders because they resemble people on horses. It's interesting how memory can pass from generation to generation WITHOUT the individual animal or person actually experiencing something directly.

I'm so tired. I've slept very poorly for two nights in a row now - all over the intensity of BitG and I finding each other. Yesterday afternoon, I almost fell asleep standing up talking to my boss.

Which brings up this point:
If your surgeon or attorney ever buys an HP4, you should be well advised to postpone any surgeries or court appearances for at least 2-3 weeks, for the acclimation of the emotional and physical intensity caused by the proximity of "the machine."

e201407090804
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #13
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

201407100737 75f

201407100737 75f

Yesterday, I spent all my breaks from the doctors' work sitting on BitG. At lunchtime, I had my first lunch with her and had to figure out where to put everything. I found a place to put my cup. So now I have an HP4 cupholder - another feature of this crazy awesome. ("Awesome as a noun now. And speaking of grammar / vocab, I meant "gills" not "fins" regarding the s1000rr and hp4 design being like a shark).

Today, I still must be processing the excitement of having BitG. I feel so excited that I want to throw up.

I have a hard time calling it "my bike." I still call it "the HP4". When I see her, or the key - they both seem foreign.

Yesterday morning at the gym job, I was doing what I usually do on the computer: search for images of HP4s. I was looking at the second picture and thought, "Wait. I have an HP4 outside in the parking lot. Why am I even looking at these pictures? I should just go out and look at her!"

(BitG --> Bit Girl BMW HP4 Comp Competition)
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #14
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

BMW HP4 Comp Competition motorcycle cup holder

Fresh water from the nearby coffee place in the hp4 cup holder

BMW HP4 Comp Competition motorcycle cup holder
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM   #15
ClifNotes OP
Facebook Me!

Lunchdate with BitGirl

Lunchdate with BitGirl (see the lunchbox at the top?)