Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #931
big_sur
Tarded

Oddometer: 701
The traction control on the bmw is not as good as we have on the ktm. Not nearly as smooth.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #932
lentuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
[QUOTE=Velociraptor;24381647]The evotech one uses stock stuff. I just installed it. Quality piece, but the turn signal wires were just barely long enough. Installation instructions are online and very good. Pricey but well made.

+1 on everything here, those wires had me worried but they made it.
lentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #933
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I haven't even ventured into supermoto mode. Thinking it's next since I've decided TC is a must stay on for me. ABS is a gametime decision.
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #934
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
I haven't even ventured into supermoto mode. Thinking it's next since I've decided TC is a must stay on for me. ABS is a gametime decision.
Don't be a pussy.

Mine is set Smoto with the TC ...ususally, mainly because it kills the ABS's tenancy to feather the front when I unload the tail. That and there are three sets of light rail and regular rail line that I have to turn on in the morning. Any sort of dew and the ABS goes nuts and I effectively have no brakes ......for a 90* off camber slippery as snot corner.

So what I usually do is drift it, hit the corner already sideways and let the TC catch it

Turning off the TC is fun....bad for your license (and I have a ton of points already) but a hell of a lot of fun.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #935
mcskeeto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Day ride with an old and new Superduke

Went for the first real ride today on the 1290. I still have my 2007 Superduke that my girlfriend wanted to try out (her usual ride is a Ducati 696). Thought I'd post some thoughts about the difference between the two. It had less than 100 miles on it this morning when we started, so had to keep it below 6500 RPM.
1. Engine- What can you say? The 1290 is monster- even below 6500. I initially didn't feel the power hit, but now that I've had some time on it in many riding situations, I can say that this thing just flies. Below 6500, it is a little deceptive in that there isn't a fire breathing growl type of speed, more like an invisible hand pushing you forward. Really is a great feeling. I like the step in the seat between the rider and pillion. The power pushes my butt firmly against it and stabilizes my body so I don't inadvertently brace myself with the handlebars. Can't wait to get done with the break in and get the full Akro system on it.
2. Handling- I am really impressed with the handling on this bike. I haven't set the sag for my weight yet, but it really is telepathic the way it turns in and the speed you can pour on mid corner. I think that the mid corner stability is better than the old model. I think turn in is similar to the the 07 I have.
3. Brakes- So good, I think I went 5-10 MPH slower than usual around familiar corners as it bleed so much sped off at my usual braking points. It really is amazing how these brakes just bleed speed off like anchors. I have to convince my brain that I really can brake this deep into the corner.
4. Low speed maneuvering- I have to give this to the old one.
5. Great gas mileage. I was getting 42-45 MPG. Of course, this likely is at least partly due to the <6500 RPM way I've been riding.

Overall, I am very impressed with this bike and so happy I purchased it. Few negatives- The service light came on at 72 miles. I just ignored it and didn't notice any difference in performance.

I was actually very impressed with how good my old Superduke is. It is a 7 year old bike, and still is a great performer and so much fun. My girlfriend was commenting on how much better it handles than her Monster. Didn't plan on getting rid of it anyway.
Attached Images

2007 KTM SUPERDUKE-ROAD/2008 YAMAHA R6-TRACK
2012 KTM 350 EXC/2013 Honda CRF 250R
mcskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #936
mcskeeto
Adventurer

More pics.....
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #937
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcskeeto View Post
2. Handling- I am really impressed with the handling on this bike. I haven't set the sag for my weight yet, but it really is telepathic the way it turns in and the speed you can pour on mid corner. I think that the mid corner stability is better than the old model. I think turn in is similar to the the 07 I have.
Good luck setting the sag, if you can find the preload adjustment you are ahead of the rest of us. Going through the shop manual it looks like old school spacers on top of spring....
Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #938
mcskeeto
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Good luck setting the sag, if you can find the preload adjustment you are ahead of the rest of us. Going through the shop manual it looks like old school spacers on top of spring....
Huh, didn't realize.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #939
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Don't you simply loosen the set screw, get a spanner and crank down a few threads on the shock? Snug up the locking rings, tighten the set screw and ride... I'm talking about the rear shock of course. No choice on the front.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #940
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerone View Post
Don't you simply loosen the set screw, get a spanner and crank down a few threads on the shock? Snug up the locking rings, tighten the set screw and ride... I'm talking about the rear shock of course. No choice on the front.
The shock yes.

The fork is another matter, there is no way to change the preload without tearing apart the fork.........so you may as well just change the springs if you need to.

I haven't measured mine up yet, I'm not sure I want to know.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #941
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
The shock yes.

The fork is another matter, there is no way to change the preload without tearing apart the fork.........so you may as well just change the springs if you need to.

I haven't measured mine up yet, I'm not sure I want to know.
I'm still not sure what KTM was thinking when they omitted the fork preload adjustment on this bike? My 2008 allows you to adjust the fork preload so I have no idea why the 2014 model wouldn't?
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #942
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
I'm still not sure what KTM was thinking when they omitted the fork preload adjustment on this bike? My 2008 allows you to adjust the fork preload so I have no idea why the 2014 model wouldn't?
I was sort of floored by that one myself.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #943
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I'm around 200 lbs in full gear. I set everything a couple of clicks shy of sport and the sag seems to be about right. The only other bike I have that came with one leg doing one thing and the other something else is my 88GS. I put a 950SM front end on it and solved that. Now, my new bike has it. I'm still not complaining, it's a great bike. At 17k it should give you a blow job every time you walk up to it though.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #944
mcskeeto
Adventurer

They have "competition" forks in the power parts catalog that I guess have all the adjustments.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #945
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Thought I'd share this ....might save someone else some time & $. The new LED H4 bulbs that are sold through a couple vendors here on adv rider DO NOT WORK on the 1290. I've tried 2 total, from different sellers. Seems the 1290 doesn't like the low draw and gives a bulb out message.

I might be able to deal with that, but the lights also blink on/off on about 1-2 second intervals. Until someone comes up with a work around, buyer beware. Shame too, as it's a clean install, with nice white light. No need for a bulky ballast either, just a bigger bulb that runs off less juice.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote