Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #1021
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,122
Great track report. Will save us all a lot of figuring stuff out. Did you end up running mostly in sumo or with the abs off?
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #1022
big_sur
Tarded

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Great track report. Will save us all a lot of figuring stuff out. Did you end up running mostly in sumo or with the abs off?
Sumo, I don't think you can turn it completely off without the dongle because of the new EU regulations requiring ABS on bikes.

I'm reading the manual now though, and apparently "The ABS lamp may also light up if the rotating speeds of the front and rear wheels differ greatly under extreme riding conditions, for example when making wheelies or if the rear wheel spins. This causes the ABS to switch off."

So you can either buy the dongle, do a burnout, or do a long enough wheelie and it will turn off.
big_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #1023
big_sur
Tarded

Also, as an aside, I mounted up the small KTM PP tail bag today. Good fit and finish, but it has this weird helmet thing going on where it has a giant expansion capacity so you can fold it up and put your helmet in it. Not sure how I feel about that yet as it's a little weird, but it's nice having a little storage on the bike again.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #1024
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Sumo, I don't think you can turn it completely off without the dongle because of the new EU regulations requiring ABS on bikes.
You can switch the ABS and the MTC off completely. The only thing the dongle does is to keep your chosen setting even when you switch off the ignition.
Without the dongle it goes back into Street mode with ABS and MTC on.

In Germany they have a race series (Superduke Battle) as it is sponsored by Continental they use either their slicks or the SportAttack
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #1025
trapperj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
On a somewhat related note, my friend after his first service, dealer downloaded latest software (2/20) & now his bike will not stay in sport mode....always defaults back to street mode when you use the key....a work around,he says, is to use the kill switch first....and the sport mode remains...my bike is still on original 2/15 version and I plan to leave it that way unless I'm forced or discover something desirable from the change, which seems unlikely.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #1026
trapperj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Also, as an aside, I mounted up the small KTM PP tail bag today. Good fit and finish, but it has this weird helmet thing going on where it has a giant expansion capacity so you can fold it up and put your helmet in it. Not sure how I feel about that yet as it's a little weird, but it's nice having a little storage on the bike again.
Yes, I bought I was really smart to figure that out on my own....I at first thought it was just a huge expandable bag....it has to be to tuck your helmet into while at Starbucks ...I guess it's a good feature, although I bet mines never deployed..

Maybe we could use it as an air brake!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #1027
big_sur
Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
You can switch the ABS and the MTC off completely. The only thing the dongle does is to keep your chosen setting even when you switch off the ignition.
Without the dongle it goes back into Street mode with ABS and MTC on.

In Germany they have a race series (Superduke Battle) as it is sponsored by Continental they use either their slicks or the SportAttack
How do you turn it off? If go to the ABS setting in the menu it only toggles back and forth between road and sumo.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #1028
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Mine can be completely turned off via the two settings on the screen: MTC and ABS. The third line/option is ROAD or SUMO.

Quote:
How do you turn it off? If go to the ABS setting in the menu it only toggles back and forth between road and sumo.
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #1029
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Thanks! Just tried killing ignition via the switch and the SPORT mode stays on!!

Somewhat related: The ROAD & SuperMoto option defaults back to Road even with workaround; guess that's where the dongle would come in handy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
On a somewhat related note, my friend after his first service, dealer downloaded latest software (2/20) & now his bike will not stay in sport mode....always defaults back to street mode when you use the key....a work around,he says, is to use the kill switch first....and the sport mode remains...my bike is still on original 2/15 version and I plan to leave it that way unless I'm forced or discover something desirable from the change, which seems unlikely.
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #1030
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I got to ride the beast at the Ktm demo day at Hanover Powersports yesterday. I came away thoroughly impressed.
The fueling is amazing for a bike packing so much power. It's easier to ride smoothly than my fz-09 which shocked me. Stock suspension settings seemed about right for me at 165lbs. The seat looks like it locks you in to one position but I had enough room to move around to stay comfy. I only got to ride it for around 15 miles but comfort didn't seem to be an issue.
The riding modes are calibrated to be more agressive than on my 1190r. I was able to get the front wheel up a decent amount in both street and sport. Sport would let me carry it a little longer before cutting power.
The brakes were about what I expected from radial mono blocs on a 400lb bike. Real one finger stopping power.
I wish I had more to complain about because now I'm lusting after one. I didn't get any real highway riding in so I can't comment on airflow. Maybe it's crap and I should save my money but I doubt it.
I think Ktm knocked it out of the park with this one. I would love to get another ride with traction control off to see how she likes riding on one wheel.
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #1031
big_sur
Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Mine can be completely turned off via the two settings on the screen: MTC and ABS. The third line/option is ROAD or SUMO.
Ah, gotcha. I had the ABS option set to my favorites screen so I could change it easily, but you have to go to the other ABS option on the screen with MTC to turn it off. Good to know, thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #1032
RiderGary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Another exhaust option now from Competition Werkes:

I bet it's LOUD. They usually offer quiet inserts with their exhausts. Very nice welds with what look's like a proper cat delete pipe. This is on an available 1290 SDR at Power Motorsports in Oregon.
RiderGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #1033
big_sur
Tarded

How much and I wonder how loud with the inserts? I'm not a huge fan of the akra's style (or price) and I don't really want something loud, but the 14hp, 8lb-ft gains (at the wheel!) people are seeing with a full exhaust is pretty damn tempting.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #1034
Gil.caz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
werkes USA

Wow a USA made exhaust that has some amazing welds. I might be looking at these instead of the system from Akra now.

Any info if they are doing a full Ti system? im a sucker for those deep blue pipes.

edit: looks like they usually only offer stainless slip ons. what a bummer.

Gil.caz screwed with this post 06-25-2014 at 11:40 AM
Gil.caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #1035
trapperj
Studly Adventurer

Looks to me like several companies would jump at producing an exhaust for the SD w/ the prices Akro, & others are getting.....seems like a terrific exhaust could be made & sold for 1k. Maybe I'm so outa touch with what an exhaust should sell for...but $2100 with a discount is too damn much!

I even sent a email to the Zx14 guru....his name escapes me now, but he did reply....said he had no plans for a KTM exhaust.