Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #1021
big_sur
Tarded

Oddometer: 418
Got some track time in yesterday and the bike is epic, as predicted. The torque is awesome on track as it makes overtaking incredibly easy. It's amazing how easy it is to place it where you want it when you have so much power on demand and just stream roll out of corners. I was lapping with a guy on an R1 for a while and the SD pulled his bike hard on the straight. It seemed on par in terms of outright power with some of the RSV4 and S1000s there, but obviously a lot more torque. Towards the end of the back straight I actually did finally find a use for 6th gear, albeit not for long. I think I was shifting out of 5th at an indicated ~150ish which I imagine is probably closer to 130ish given the inaccuracy of these speedos.

There are really only two things that I'll do before I go back. First, it needs rear sets pretty bad. The stock pegs are just too low for track duty. I have pretty normal size feet and I wasn't happy with the positioning at all, though I will say I didn't have any problems with the slippery-ness in the dry with my track boots. The way the shift lever sticks out is also kind of awkward.

Second, I'm buying the track dongle to lock in the settings. The ABS is a hazard on track, make sure you turn it off or to Sumo mode. I had to use runoff several times because of the retarded ABS and I'm lucky it didn't happen coming up the inside. It's seriously dangerous to use the road ABS setting on track. I cannot stress that enough and it's pretty fcked up the setting resets every time you turn the bike off. Ready to Race my ballsack. Forget to change that setting when you go out and you can pretty much bet money that you'll be taking a trip off track.

In terms of suspension, I just adjusted it to use the sport settings and I was reasonably happy with it. Don't try to go out with the street settings. I weigh 155 and it was way too soft and exacerbates the low peg problem. I've still got some fiddling to do, but for the first day out and getting used to everything else on the bike, along with a new track, it was pretty good on sport. It could use a little better turn in up front, but the back felt really nice on the power and was pretty stable under braking.

I don't know if it's the tires, the slipper clutch or a combination of the two, but the back screeches when it lightens up on braking. I had one person come up to me and tell me it scared the shit out of them because it sounded like a wreck. I can see shenanigans coming from this.

Speaking of tires, they did well. I set them to 30\28 cold at the start of the day and got good, even wear throughout the day. Probably should have checked to see what that equates to hot off the track, but I didn't have any issues with them so I just left it alone and got my ride on. I think the high was about 76, though the track probably gets a little hotter here at 76 than other places since the sun is more intense at elevation (less atmosphere between you and the sun). I was getting used to the bike and the new track in the morning, but by afternoon the track was hot and sticky and I was painting it up. While hugely entertaining, the right side of the tire (HPR is run clockwise and has more hard right turns) is down to the wear bar so I wouldn't count on getting more than one track day out of a rear if you're running a decent pace. The center still has a ton of life left so I'll probably just keep it on until the next track day. As a point of reference, the sides looked pretty good before I went and I only have ~1400 miles on it; it's just got a ton of power and lays down a lot of rubber at the track.

Speaking of tires, what is a sportsmart 2? I think my KTM dealer said they can get them, but it seems like it's a euro tire and not that common here. Given that it would seem that I'm going to use a lot of them, I'm wondering if a Q3 is a better (cheaper) option. I've had really good luck with Q2's in the past, but my only hesitation before making that switch is how clever the traction control is. For example, if the friction coefficient changes with a different tire, is that going to screw things up? Also, the front tire is kind of oddly shaped and I'm wondering if that profile is hard coded into the system. I know in the past, KTM has published an "Approved tire" list, but I haven't seen that updated to include the SD. Has anybody put on different tires?
big_sur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #1022
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Great report, sounds like you had a big time. The KTM factory rider, that helped during the SDs development, said on more than one occasion that they tried many tires & the OEM was the best. I wish he'd went on and at least mentioned what else was tried & how they stacked up. The front is strange in its design. I'm trying my best not to flat spot my rear on the street.....hard to do w/all the TQ. Friend of mine who rides hard on the street has stayed off the power when not in a corner has 3200 miles. Says tire is about done though. If I get 3k I'll jump for joy!
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #1023
big_sur
Tarded

Yeah, I've read a few things like this:
Quote:
According to KTM, the Super Duke R was specifically designed with Dunlop for the new SportSmart2 tire to work with the electronic package.
That said, could be complete marketing BS. It's a shame it's so hard to tell these days.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #1024
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Yeah, I've read a few things like this:

That said, could be complete marketing BS. It's a shame it's so hard to tell these days.
The guy was Jeremy McWilliams I think...who I heard say those words. Of course, if he's getting his pockets lined to make those claims, it's meaningless!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #1025
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Is he their test rider? Do all the manufacturer have such capable test riders?
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #1026
big_sur
Tarded

Got my answer just now on the tires. $295 for a rear SportSmart2....which means Q3's will be going on before the next track day.

Also, apparently they have slicks on them at all the press track events and those work fine with the electronics. Given that a slick has more traction than a street tire when hot and a lot less when cold, I think it'll be just fine. Hell, I think a Q3 is probably stickier anyways, so maybe it'll even do a little better on track (likely at the expense of mileage).
Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #1027
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
...Also, apparently they have slicks on them at all the press track events and those work fine with the electronics....
I would expect that any bikes running the slicks would be set to run with all the electronics OFF anyways.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #1028
big_sur
Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
I would expect that any bikes running the slicks would be set to run with all the electronics OFF anyways.
Nope, they're on by default at press events....helps with the crashing.

Plus, at some point I should probably just stop being a pussy and go with it off. It definitely cut in a few times in the morning, as I was getting used to the torque and figuring out where the lean angle\power balance is, but I don't think it was doing much in the afternoon and I was lapping relatively quickly. Maybe I'll throw a go-pro on the gauge cluster next time and see what's going on. On my S1k, it really only cut in for wheelies once I had some time on it, and honestly, I could use a little more wheelie in my life these days.

big_sur screwed with this post 06-24-2014 at 04:45 PM
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #1029
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,004
Great track report. Will save us all a lot of figuring stuff out. Did you end up running mostly in sumo or with the abs off?
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #1030
big_sur
Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Great track report. Will save us all a lot of figuring stuff out. Did you end up running mostly in sumo or with the abs off?
Sumo, I don't think you can turn it completely off without the dongle because of the new EU regulations requiring ABS on bikes.

I'm reading the manual now though, and apparently "The ABS lamp may also light up if the rotating speeds of the front and rear wheels differ greatly under extreme riding conditions, for example when making wheelies or if the rear wheel spins. This causes the ABS to switch off."

So you can either buy the dongle, do a burnout, or do a long enough wheelie and it will turn off.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #1031
big_sur
Tarded

Also, as an aside, I mounted up the small KTM PP tail bag today. Good fit and finish, but it has this weird helmet thing going on where it has a giant expansion capacity so you can fold it up and put your helmet in it. Not sure how I feel about that yet as it's a little weird, but it's nice having a little storage on the bike again.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #1032
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Sumo, I don't think you can turn it completely off without the dongle because of the new EU regulations requiring ABS on bikes.
You can switch the ABS and the MTC off completely. The only thing the dongle does is to keep your chosen setting even when you switch off the ignition.
Without the dongle it goes back into Street mode with ABS and MTC on.

In Germany they have a race series (Superduke Battle) as it is sponsored by Continental they use either their slicks or the SportAttack
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #1033
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

On a somewhat related note, my friend after his first service, dealer downloaded latest software (2/20) & now his bike will not stay in sport mode....always defaults back to street mode when you use the key....a work around,he says, is to use the kill switch first....and the sport mode remains...my bike is still on original 2/15 version and I plan to leave it that way unless I'm forced or discover something desirable from the change, which seems unlikely.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #1034
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Also, as an aside, I mounted up the small KTM PP tail bag today. Good fit and finish, but it has this weird helmet thing going on where it has a giant expansion capacity so you can fold it up and put your helmet in it. Not sure how I feel about that yet as it's a little weird, but it's nice having a little storage on the bike again.
Yes, I bought I was really smart to figure that out on my own....I at first thought it was just a huge expandable bag....it has to be to tuck your helmet into while at Starbucks ...I guess it's a good feature, although I bet mines never deployed..

Maybe we could use it as an air brake!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #1035
big_sur
Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
You can switch the ABS and the MTC off completely. The only thing the dongle does is to keep your chosen setting even when you switch off the ignition.
Without the dongle it goes back into Street mode with ABS and MTC on.

In Germany they have a race series (Superduke Battle) as it is sponsored by Continental they use either their slicks or the SportAttack
How do you turn it off? If go to the ABS setting in the menu it only toggles back and forth between road and sumo.