User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
1190 vs GS- Comfort Touring

I've got a 690 to ride the rugged off road (at least as rugged as I get..) and I just sold my 990 S Adventure. So looking for another big bike.

I know the 1190 will be better is the nasties/off road, but I have the 690 for that. So, I don't even want to hear how much better the KTM is on the trail. I want a bike I can load up the wifey plus all her stuff and travel. Possibly a 800 or 1000 mile trip to Colorado or Big Bend and then hit some gravel or NF roads for a few days and then ride home. Nothing wild. Or when I camp n ride, I tend to take the kitchen sink.

Since I just came from a 990 and have a 690, I'm kind of partial to KTM. But the Beemer has cruise control, which would be nice. Even tho I loved the 990, it was not an all day, day after day, bike for 2up, it wore us out. (I know, we're weinnies)

So, anyone got any loaded, 2up experience on both bikes?? I'm not sure a 30 min. test ride on either bike will tell me what I want to know.

What it amounts to is: I know the GS will do it (had a 07 GSA once), but I really want the 1190 to do it. But if the 1190 is just a souped up 990, I'm not sure it will work.

So, chime in and blast away.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 114
Either will do

Disclaimer--1190 is not yet available in USA, but has gotten really good reviews (as you know). For your application, I'd say you have a ton of choices:
  1. KTM 1190
  2. BMW R12XXGS
  3. Yamaha Super Tenere
  4. Triumph Explorer (either version)
  5. Vstrom 1000 (new in 2014)
  6. Ducati Multistrada
From what you described the Triumph sounds like it fits the bill. Cruise, shaft drive, plenty of aux power.

Happy shopping.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I guess I would have to ask what you are going to do with the bike other than 2 up long distance. If you are a KTM hooligan type rider when going solo and attacking twisties and such I would think the 1190 is the best choice from what I have seen.
01 KLR 650 ( sold )
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I guess I would have to ask what you are going to do with the bike other than 2 up long distance. If you are a KTM hooligan type rider when going solo and attacking twisties and such I would think the 1190 is the best choice from what I have seen.
Thanks for the reply, but for other than 2 up & long distance riding will most likely be done on my 690.

All I really need is a 2up, long distance & camp n ride bike. I could set the 690 up for camp n riding, but would rather keep it light wt and lean.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Beemer versus ktm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Thanks for the reply, but for other than 2 up & long distance riding will most likely be done on my 690.

All I really need is a 2up, long distance & camp n ride bike. I could set the 690 up for camp n riding, but would rather keep it light wt and lean.
I also have a ktm 690 and although i have only test ridden the 1190 i did place an order for one and hopefully it will be here before too much longer. In my short test ride i had thechance to ride it solo and two up. I am 5'10"and my girlfriend is 5' 6 " together with atgatt we weigh close 330 . Plenty of room . Comfort? 30 minutes. Is not enough time to find pressure points but the seats are firm. I also have a BMW F650 with a very cushy seat and it is very uncomfortable after three hundred miles so there is no telling how that will work out. Transmission shifted better than any Bmw I have ever ridden and ive owned and ridden many. Seating posistion fit me great .31 inch inseam and could get both feet almost flat on the ground. Reach to bars almost perfect for me . I didn't try any kind of panic stops to test ABS or traction control . Mountain motorsorts has two r's coming with two orange and two grey ones coming soon . No firm date. My dealer gave me a very nice pamphlet with lots of info to take home. Normally KTM ships not long after the literature appears. I have not ridden the GSW but I ridden several R1200 gs 's. The ktm feels more planted than I recall gs being. Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 378
gone done a few rides on 1190 with g/freind onboard, with the ktm panniers - its probably the best 'all roads' bike for 2-up touring..

thinking about trading for the 'r' model though.....
Old 11-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster View Post
gone done a few rides on 1190 with g/freind onboard, with the ktm panniers - its probably the best 'all roads' bike for 2-up touring..

thinking about trading for the 'r' model though.....
If the standard is so good Nd you already own it...why get the "r"? The standard is still a very capable bike off road
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster View Post

Can you define "few rides" a little more?? Miles or hours spent in the saddle??

A lot of difference between a short, half day ride and a 2500 mile trip out west and back over 4 or 5 days.