User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,359
My CRC lanocote experiment

Hi there. I have been trying to locate some protective application to preserve the aluminium parts of my bikes after they have either been polished or wire wheeled to death.
I have researched thru the web & have only unearthed a few solutions which don't seem to be worth it.
The one I thought would be the best was a product by POR15 called 'Glisten'. Unfortunately I haven't found any reviews of it that would corroborate its benefit.
Most of the others were either wax polishes that needed to be reapplied or plain fish oil.

I came across this product CRC Lanocoat that is a mixture of lanolin & fish oil. I thought it may be interesting having an ongoing experiment to see how it lasts.

I live approx 300m away from the sea so everything around here corrodes. that is the main reaso I don't bother maintaining a polished anything ( that & laziness I guess)

So I got a old piece of flat bar, gave it a good buffing with the wire wheel & sprayed a portion with the Lanocote. the rest I left as is.
This was done approx the start of Oct 2013. I left it outside & here is the results from today.

Quite a difference so far.
I think alloy will age differently so will spray some parts of the bike & record the changes too.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Pouakai
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I too wanted something to protect the surfaces on my dirt bike and preferred the idea of some 'natural' lubricant. After a good wash I applied lanocoate to the whole bike - it smelt real nice and at first had an oily surface that seemed would prevent dirt from sticking so much but by the time the first outing came along it had dried off and effectively became a glue and glued a dirty surface over the entire bike ! It even resisted a pressure wash ! I had to resort kerosine or 556 or something to get it off. Bit of a disaster unfortunately. The lanocoate is now reserved for my leather hat. The bikes all get 556 or Wd40(smells sweeter!) now.
P
Pouakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
rustveto
All we use to use at the salt works in blenheim....
nuts/bolts submeged in 26% salt brine for 12 months
as long as you could get a pair of vice grips on what
was left of the nut it would undo...

Now a little story about lanocote...
One of the harvest conveyors motors need the bearing changed
it had a fluid coupling on it so couldn't heat it.. had been put on
5 year earlyer with rustveto took a couple hours to get it off...
we were running out of rustveto... so we used lanocote to put
it back on as a trial 12 months later we striped all the harvest
converyors for a sand blast & paint... that same coupleing put on with
lanocote took 2 days to get off..in the end we had to drain the coupleing
heat it... then replace all the seals in the coupling...

wonder what DSL are useing now... we had less than half a 44g drum left
when I left.... Horton chemicals stoped makeing rustveto 20 odd years ago..

Lanocote also comes in a thick paste... "like butter" .. what we used...
Infact thats the first time I have seen a spray version of it..
lanocate paste is good on nuts/bolts on the bike/car etc... & it also stops
the reaction between diffrent metals... stainless/alloy or steel/alloy...

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 01:17 AM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
Pretty sure 'Pontypool' (Barrie) put Lanocote over his R100GS. It already had some corrosion issues & he lives nr the sea too. You could send him a PM & find out how he got on.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouakai View Post
I too wanted something to protect the surfaces on my dirt bike and preferred the idea of some 'natural' lubricant. After a good wash I applied lanocoate to the whole bike - it smelt real nice and at first had an oily surface that seemed would prevent dirt from sticking so much but by the time the first outing came along it had dried off and effectively became a glue and glued a dirty surface over the entire bike ! It even resisted a pressure wash ! I had to resort kerosine or 556 or something to get it off. Bit of a disaster unfortunately. The lanocoate is now reserved for my leather hat. The bikes all get 556 or Wd40(smells sweeter!) now.
P
exactly my experience, except I couldn't be assed cleaning it off.

It is good at what it is designed for though.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouakai View Post
P
What he said ....
I've had it on a couple of outboards and it works great, under the cover though so you cant see it It's kinda messy
I'd go for the por15 A quick google and I came up with this... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=17769.0
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
What he said ....
I've had it on a couple of outboards and it works great, under the cover though so you cant see it It's kinda messy
I'd go for the por15 A quick google and I came up with this... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=17769.0
From the 1st post on that thread

I started stripping my frame to bare metal and kinda like the look. I was wondering if anyone has ever used Por 15 Glisten PC and the AP120 on bare metal?

If it works I am going to leave my frame and tank bare...

I found out that this will not work.

OK looks like nothing will actually work for what I want & lanocote will make things worse.

I might look into sacrificial annodes now. I'll post up what I find.... unless you guys have already tried that & can save me trying it.....
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 817
I have heard of guys just using car wax, or magwheel cleaners. Trust me, there are a shitload of products out their.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
guzzitony
Guzton

Oddometer: 157
black paint?

SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
From the 1st post on that thread

I started stripping my frame to bare metal and kinda like the look. I was wondering if anyone has ever used Por 15 Glisten PC and the AP120 on bare metal?

If it works I am going to leave my frame and tank bare...

I found out that this will not work.

OK looks like nothing will actually work for what I want & lanocote will make things worse.

I might look into sacrificial annodes now. I'll post up what I find.... unless you guys have already tried that & can save me trying it.....
Oooops..... My bad
Have you looked into the cost of powder coating ? Or just use a hard as fcuk 2 pot paint

sent from my tiny phone while out on the ocean
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
ahebron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Having never seen a Sheep or Fish that has gone rusty I reckon this stuff must work.

Adrian
ahebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #12
marlboroughlad
sent home

Oddometer: 1,149
gday guys

i use a few things for anti corrosion, but not one probably for the application wanted by the op. i swear by acf 50 and corrosion block. both avail in nz. lanolin is ok, keeps the oxygen out but can trap moisture in. theres one in oz called lanox which i use on the bike trailer etc

theres an inmate in the oz vendors forum peddling stuff called sharkhide which might suit the op's application. his thread is here and he provides some links you can read up on it. one of the links is to the same experiment with some sheet ally left out in a marine environment
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,338
I smothered my exhaust in Lanocote once - ah, the smell brought back memories of desperate times....

When on Waiheke Island we used Rescue Steel by the bucket load, we used to slather it on anything for a marine environment. We still use Rescue Steel on farm equipment where I am now - you have to work on the assumption that you'll be the next person to pull it apart. But it's red, and not something to use on stuff people will look at while you are still near enough to be obvious you are the owner of the bike.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
rxkea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Using it too

have used it for a couple of years on and off with some spokes on a bike that without polish start rusting. Being a lazy bugger and not so concerned with the shine CRC Lanolin seem to be a good looking option. So far worked well and I also now spray rims of my Triumph Scrambler, with it too. Triumph being too tight to put some alloys on these like the Thruxton and their chrome having a not so good rep either.
rxkea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
marlboroughlad
sent home

Oddometer: 1,149
hows progress padmei?
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote