Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
So how about a WRR or DRZ and $250 in aftermarket parts.
Truthfully, I'd probably be happy with either one. Thanks for the suggestions. Yamaha had a prototype a few years back that I found intriguing, not so much as a back road burner but more along the lines of my current scooter but much more capable when the road got rough. Just something to meander down an easy trail on.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #47
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Looks a little like a TW200.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #48
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,371
It is/was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
Looks a little like a TW200.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #49
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
I think we looked into those once... If I recall it was like a TW350 or TW400.

MV
Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #50
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
No, but I can read.
Some are better, but most seem to have a problem doing 2000 miles on an oil change and last for 80,000 miles without motor work.
I think I'll stick with my "real world" experience over your "I read it on the interwebz" experience, thanks.

Where do the interwebz rules state that an engine has to go 80,000 miles to be considered "sturdy"?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #51
Wop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
To repeat the theme, no bike is really perfect for anybody, ever, but it is almost as though they intentionally put a deal breaker in there somewhere.
XR4 and drz are fantastic accept you have to wring the nuts of them on the hiway or carry extra sprockets when you go on a trip.
Isn't a DRZ close to 40 horses? but for some reason it can't handle a reasonable gear spread.
I know, not what it was designed for.
Sub frames that don't carry some luggage, really how bloody hard is it to not make it out cheese cake!
Never seen a cb500x till just now....road bike!
Mag wheels, pipes under the chassis bla bla bla.
WRR seemed like the answer to our prays for a while but most people still complain you have to rev the hell out of them.(cmon the 500)
Would it really break the bank for Suzuki to put a few clickers on the shocks and forks (DR's). Cartridge forks have been here since the late 80's.
The only bike that try's to deliver what at least a lot of people really wanted is a Husky TE.
Light weight, spokes, good suspension, wide range 6 speed and big service intervals.
Lets see some more competition and better build quality in that area.
For people who want larger touring adventure bikes how about a twin cylinder KLR (not a versys road bike!) or a Transalp with some attitude or a transalp donk in a modern version of the Dominator.
The big bike market seems well catered for these days compared to the mid size let alone small market.
They should build a twin with 80 horses 200kg wet weight, long service intervals 21 inch spoked front wheel, at least 8 inches of adjustable suspension and good for 200,000k's...oohh wait that's would an Aftrica Twin should have been by now if it had the same development as a CRF.
I know I know KTM 990.
Wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #52
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,318
I hear a lot about the DRZ being slow and needing a sixth gear. While I admit to not doing much freeway, my little DRZ will happily take my 275lb. ass faster than the law allows on any street around here. The reason I finally decided upon a DRZ and not a 690 or 990 was reliability. I'm happy to give up horsepower if it means ill be able to ride every day, and that's not to mention getting a brand new DRZ for $4,500 less OTD than a 690. I think for most people, any true need is met by a current offering in the market.... It's just too much fun to think 'what if' (they built a reliable, 60hp sub 300 lb twin with 12" of travel and a fairing?". For far less than $4,500, the DRZ can be built faster and more comfortable.

I'm the same way, as you can tell by my obnoxious signature.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #53
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Truthfully, I'd probably be happy with either one. Thanks for the suggestions. Yamaha had a prototype a few years back that I found intriguing, not so much as a back road burner but more along the lines of my current scooter but much more capable when the road got rough. Just something to meander down an easy trail on.
Put a 400cc motor with a 6th gear in it and ditch all the heavy shit (rack, front low fender, crash bars, weird mid muffler), swap the shitty TW200 suspension for something modern and I would sell my DRZ and TW200 to buy one tomorrow..
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #54
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
Put a 400cc motor with a 6th gear in it and ditch all the heavy shit (rack, front low fender, crash bars, weird mid muffler), swap the shitty TW200 suspension for something modern and I would sell my DRZ and TW200 to buy one tomorrow..
We had I fella ride his tw200 from Mobile to Birmingham, then trail ride 120+ miles, camp, and ride home on one of those. I hope no one will discount the bike for lack of power or gearing. It is a fantastic machine.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #55
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
We had I fella ride his tw200 from Mobile to Birmingham, then trail ride 120+ miles, camp, and ride home on one of those. I hope no one will discount the bike for lack of power or gearing. It is a fantastic machine.
The real problem with the TW200 imo is the 1980s suspension. I have one and have put lots of miles on in between bouts of it being broken due to having a hard life from previous owners
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #56
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
That's a CB500X. Honda's new 500cc adventure bike. We've got to drop by the local dealer today anyway, maybe I'll see if they have one.

MV
I looked one of those over pretty close at my local dealer, looks like a pretty good little travel/adventure/commuter bike. Last week I passed one on the highway between Flagstaff and Page AZ, It was a younger looking guy and his wife/gf riding two up. That was the first one I've seen on the road.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #57
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,434
While I still would love to see a revamped DRZ (450cc, FI, 6 spd or wider 5), I would consider that more of a 50-50 type bike. It sounds more like the OP is looking for a lighter Wee/Versys. As others have said, for truly 80-20 that CB500X comes pretty darn close - 430 lbs and carries it's weight low due to the tank location and engine orientation. Sure, not much suspension, but what kind of trails are you really going to take it on? I bet it will get you down a rutted up forest road just fine. The Husky Terra/Strada would also fit. It may be 650cc, but it weighs in at 400 lbs and apparently is shockingly smooth for a singe.

I could see a 400cc twin being a hit if they could somehow get the weight to 400lbs or less. But the new Honda isn't too far off that mark.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #58
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
... another plea for for the mythic WR450R...

NFE
amen
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #59
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
... another plea for for the mythic WR450R...

NFE
amen

so the wr450 was only sold in the uk as road legal?? and not the usa
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote