User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,521
Installing a Rowe Electronics PDM60 on a R1200GSW

I installed a PDM60 fuseblock on my 2014 liquid-cooled R1200GS today. A few notes so you guys don't have to recreate the wheel.

1) I installed the PDM60 under the seat. It is pretty simple to install in this location. There was room to spare in the high-high seat configuration; it was a little tighter in the high(front)-low(rear) seat configuration, but still works. I did not try the low-low configuration. I used 3M dual-lock to hold the module in place.

2) I programmed the device so that all the circuits are triggered off the ignition. I pulled the switched 12V signal for the ignition trigger from the small fusebox at the rear of the tank cover -- I used the red wire with a brown stripe. (This wire is associated with the 7.5 amp fuse described at p.137 of the U.S. user manual.)

I connected the grey wire (ignition trigger) from the PDM60 to this wire using a POSI-TAP connector. I peeled back the tape midway down the wiring harness and tapped into the circuit there to avoid crowding things at the small fusebox.

3) It is also easy to connect the positive and negative cables. For the positive cable, I ran it under the tank cover to the jump start terminal on the right side of the bike. (Ignore the red wire on the right -- that is connected to my Stebel horn. After installing the PDM60, I disconnected it from the battery and connected it directly to one of the circuits of the PDM60, which I programmed for 20 Amps.)

4) The negative cable followed the same route, and I connected it directly to the battery. (It is easier to access the channel I used for wiring if you remove the front seat support.) I used the Rocketmoto wiring kit, which has a neat ground block for terminating the negative/grounds from the devices you connect to the PDM60.

I then connected the negative wire from the PDM60 to the ground block.

Overall a nice, neat solution to wiring.

Jarvis screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 03:19 PM
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Excellent post! Nice job.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 388
Very slick..U can come to my house..
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
Very slick..U can come to my house..
Ha. I am a wrenching idiot. If I can do this, anyone can.

Jarvis screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 07:39 PM
Old 10-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
BruceWA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Very nice work and well thought out!! My concern is I need the seat in the low position, so that sounds like it will really require more thought to locate the PDM60. But as I said on another post I've so far decided I have no need for the PDM 60 on this bike, had installed one on my previous FRJ1300. So far.....
Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
My concern is I need the seat in the low position, so that sounds like it will really require more thought to locate the PDM60.
Lots of room under the rear deck back by the tail light. That's where I put the controller for my P3 lights.

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Lots of room under the rear deck back by the tail light. That's where I put the controller for my P3 lights.

Did you have to remove bodywork on the rear? I'm wondering whether I can be lazy and connect the P3 wires directly to those under the pillion seat if I can figure out which is which.
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Can you connect a battery charger to the PDM60 (e.g. by a Powerlet) ?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolderboulder View Post
Did you have to remove bodywork on the rear? I'm wondering whether I can be lazy and connect the P3 wires directly to those under the pillion seat if I can figure out which is which.
If you want to get all the way back toward the tail light then yes, you'll need to remove about 6 screws to remove the luggage rack/grab rail and the top deck. It's a very quick and easy job. Also, you need to remove the top deck to get to one of the E-clips that holds the tail light. See http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0702-p3-lights/
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
BruceWA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Yes, well at least I did on my former FJR1300. Bear in mind there is no canbus on the Yamaha though.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Absolutely nothing to do with "canbus" of even the ZFE that most people actually refer to when incorrectly talking about canbus.

But the answer is no, it's not possible any longer to connect a battery charger through the PDM60. Theorethically you might be able to do it by configuring one of the circuits to be "always on" but such circuit draws a continuous 50mA from the battery and would kill a typical motorcycle battery quite quickly.

Quote from a PDM60 support page:

What's the two-pin SAE connector for?
The SAE connector is for connecting a battery tender to keeo the bike's battery topped up during storage. This connection is only suitable for a standard-type battery charger to be utilized with a sealed lead acid, gel or AGM battery. It is not to be used if a Shorai, Ballistic or other Lithium Iron (LiFePo4) battery is installed in the vehicle; these batteries require special chargers. **Update January 2013: The SAE battery tender connector has been discontinued. All PDM60's from this date forward, will not include the 2pin SAE battery tender connector.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

Let me answer a little differently.... you can connect a battery tender through a connection (SAE plug, power port, etc.) wired through the PDM60, assuming you program that port to be always on. However, there is a small parasitic drain making this only an option if you plan on regularly riding the bike or charging the battery.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Let me answer a little differently.... you can connect a battery tender through a connection (SAE plug, power port, etc.) wired through the PDM60, assuming you program that port to be always on. However, there is a small parasitic drain making this only an option if you plan on regularly riding the bike or charging the battery.
Is it that for any always-on port (battery tender or not, in use or not) there is a constant parasitic drain?

Altrider makes a Fuse Block:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/power...or-motorcycles

And they said:
Quote:
Can I hook up a battery charger to my motorcycle via the Power Hub 2? YES. Just be certain you place the fuse in the position for continuous power.
I know nothing about electronics stuff. I guess maybe this is because for a fuse block, the always-on connection is a physical connection selected by a fuse connection, whereas for PDM60 it's programmed and thus needs power to be maintained that way.

If I have a fuse block or similar, in my opinion it defeats the purpose of the whole thing if I still have to connect my Powerlet (or anything always-on) to the battery directly.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
If you want to get all the way back toward the tail light then yes, you'll need to remove about 6 screws to remove the luggage rack/grab rail and the top deck. It's a very quick and easy job. Also, you need to remove the top deck to get to one of the E-clips that holds the tail light. See http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0702-p3-lights/
You don't have to pull the back end all apart to get to the tail light plug. you only have to take of the blinker bracket plate 2 screws then you can get at the plug from underneath the tail light, there is a tab on the side of the plug ,prise it out a bit and pull the plug out from in the cavity behind the tail light may be a bit hard if you have big hands, plugging back in will be tricky if you have big hands also.

Now I have an led light with my top box wired to the tail light wire works ok till the stop light is applied then no more tail light and an error on dash.
Would an IQ-160 work for me or is there some other way to make stop light work.

Thanks
Bill
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

I connected my Clearwater lights through the PDM-60.

Clearwater now has a solution that allows its lights to interface with GSWs with LED headlights. Called the "CAN-opener," when installed this device toggles the Clearwater lights to their maximum power when the high beams on the bike are selected, and also when the horn button is pressed. It is a very simply install... just plug the provided pigtail of the CAN-opener into the stock alarm connection and connect a couple of wires.

If you are using the PDM-60, you do not need to connect the red (power) wire from the CAN-opener. Just the white (signal) wire. The red wire can be taped off. If you connect the red wire, the PDM60 (and the lights) do not turn off!

Jarvis screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 08:51 AM