ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
Homey
Studly Adventurer
 
Homey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: California Central Coast
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Excuse me, you said the"2 1/2 miles of dirt road I ride".
Dirt road is a road according to you.
Well...it is dirt! Don't pester me with logic.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #17
Eddie G
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 38
This is an interesting question. I feel like I'm 80% off road with my DR650 but that may be too high. If I figure hours spent on the bike in a given day, and miles driven in the same day, 80% seems close. I also figure I average around 20 mph for all the miles driven on the bike.
I have been wanting to install an hour meter and do my oil changes based on hours instead of just miles. I change oil and filter every 1000 miles.
__________________
Be the bullet...
Eddie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 537
This thread has inspired me to do the math because I've been curious, so here are two maps of the trip I did last summer:





The plan was to ride as much dirt (counting dirt roads as dirt)as I could, and by the end it felt like I had ridden a lot of freakin dirt.
The first map is of the plan, and it came out pretty close to what happened. The green line which I rode is mostly dirt, the red and black lines are truck by highway.
The second map I just made, represents the paved roads that I rode on. It really doesn't look like much. Visually, maybe 10% of the trip was pavement, and that's what I felt like by the end. It was like a 99% dirt ride!

The second map adds up to 600 miles of pavement.
The total ride was 2350 miles.
25% on paved roads

I conclude that to get 90% off road, a few things need to happen:
1: Have an awesome plan, and not much can go wrong. Four of those long sections above could have been planned away better, the rest are from things going wrong (forest fires) or not following the original plan (got tired and hungry)
2: Live or ride somewhere that has a lot of dirt roads that go somewhere
3: Count it by time rather than distance. I can go 100 miles on road without a pee break. 100 miles off road will probably include a lunch stop.
4: Your bike is going to spend some miles in a truck. The good news is that those miles don't count toward tires or oil changes.
5: Don't ever tally up your mileage breakdown unless you're ready for it
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Does not matter what you are on, riding on a dirt road is not off road.
So a Ducati 1098 would be a good choice for those who live 30 miles out on Forest Service roads?

I think the subject of percentage off road vs. on road is most often brought up in the context of tires. A pure street tire will not be suitable for dirt roads, and a full knobbie will not be good for track days at Laguna Seca. So, we (I) make a wild guess at what percentages of different terrain I will ride. While I probably over-estimate the amount of dirt I will see, it is easier for me to adjust my speed on pavement with a dual sport tire, than climb a dirt hill on a street tire, so I am fine with it.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
IrishCatholic
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 72
Regarding the OP's question - I think that if you're interested in the motorcycle, then the answer is measured in miles. If you're interested in the rider, then the answer is measured in hours. I pay more attention to hours than miles because I adhere to the idea that it's the archer, not the arrow that makes the difference.
__________________
'Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.'
- Charles Kuralt, On the Road
IrishCatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCatholic View Post
Regarding the OP's question - I think that if you're interested in the motorcycle, then the answer is measured in miles. If you're interested in the rider, then the answer is measured in hours. I pay more attention to hours than miles because I adhere to the idea that it's the archer, not the arrow that makes the difference.
So if we both head out for a dual sport ride together, both ride the road for 1/2 hr at 60mph, both hit the trail head for a 10 mile loop, and it takes you 1.5 hrs off road while I complete the same loop in a 1/2 hr...you did a 75%dirt-25% road day while I did a 50%dirt-50%road day...?

Yeah...I'm not really buying it
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
00 KTM 640 ADV
01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
kwisn
One Happy Dog
 
kwisn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Griffonderosa Dog Ranch
Oddometer: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
So if we both head out for a dual sport ride together, both ride the road for 1/2 hr at 60mph, both hit the trail head for a 10 mile loop, and it takes you 1.5 hrs off road while I complete the same loop in a 1/2 hr...you did a 75%dirt-25% road day while I did a 50%dirt-50%road day...?

Yeah...I'm not really buying it
What if we ride different loops but similar miles. Mine takes 3 hrs. to go 10 miles. How does that figure into your argument?


(and no, it's not because I keep falling down.)
__________________
kwisn

Yes, well, Im polymerised tree sap, and youre an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory, and adheres to you. SC
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #23
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
What if we ride different loops but similar miles. Mine takes 3 hrs. to go 10 miles. How does that figure into your argument?


(and no, it's not because I keep falling down.)
Time is irrelevant...distance is distance, and the only part of the equation that makes a difference. Time is a variable that is deeply influenced by rider ability and bike ability.

If we do as you think, and base % on time in woods vs. time on road, I could ride 90 road miles and 10 dirt miles and still have a 10% road/90% dirt day just because I never took my bike out of 1st gear, and rode the dirt with my feet paddling all day.

Or I could ride with a buddy all day...same roads and trails...I finish quicker, so his % of dirt riding is higher?? Nope, he just rode slower...but the amount of dirt/road was the same for both of us.
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
00 KTM 640 ADV
01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,988
Should probably just go by post count...I mean..if we're having a dick measuring contest anyway...


















__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Newt Jersey
Oddometer: 73


I didn't know John Galt rode a motorcycle.

Does this new equation factor in gearing ratios, oil viscosity and testicular fortitude? Do I need a power commander to get these stats?

Based on the fact that I ride off-road alone, in the sand, with incredibly little skill and even less talent, I am going to factor that my off-road time is about 99% according to your equation, once you factor in risk and pure awesome.

The rest of the time on the street is downgraded because it is shared with the same space as SUVs and minivans.

The time you spent in your example, riding with your buddy or with monolithic levels of self-described ability actually factor less than my time, because riding with a safety buddy is for wimps and the chances of me breaking my appendix in a fiery crash are exponentially higher and therefore more worthy of attracting chicks.

Where do chicks factor into your equation?
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 3,534
I consider off road the same as off pavement. I just sold a very nice sport tourer in a CBF1000 because I took it camping many times and went down several kms of dirt roads that I wish the bike had not seen.

So, I'm thinking of a more off road capable bike will be my next. By the way, I ride about 300kms to get to a campsite thats on 5 kms of dirt road.

So thats about 1.3% off road.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #27
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wraith Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 1,258
Inflicted wear instead of miles or time. Dirt worth of 1 service + pavement worth of 1 service means 50% OffRoad riding.
__________________
"Why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else."
"Because we shouldn't have to."
Wraith Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #28
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,984
IMO,

If the "road" requires 4wd I consider it "off-road".

The off-road riding that I prefer often requires a saw, and new knobbies.

If you're "unsure" whether what you are riding should be considered "off-road" or not, it's Not.

I generally consider "logging roads" to be off-road, especially after a season or two of erosion.

There are a few un-maintained state roads around here, which are on maps, that are 4wd roads and do require a chainsaw at times. One that comes to mind is "White Oak Rd" near Watauga Lake, just off Hwy 321 in TN.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
"off road" = a route that requires additional traction and/or clearance than a normal street vehicle possess?
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
Bad_Weather
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 36
Only two places the %'s matter:

1. Bike setup -- where do you want it to perform.

2. Trying to let everyone on the thread know how "Hard Core" you are.

I just picked up a 990R that I'm setting up to be a big dirt bike, but..... I'll be lucky to get 50/50 for mileage. It's 70 miles to get to good dirt local or 130+ for Baja

.02
Bad_Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014