User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
theworldallover OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Checkin out Italy April 2014

Im looking to tour Italy in April 2014. Im planing about 3 to 4 weeks and the rough idea is to go around the ol boot. Down the west up the east or vice versa or anything in between worth checking out. The ride IS the destination so the more twisted and remote the roads the better. Ill be starting form around Zurich Switzerland and riding an F800GS. Back roads are a favourite and will be camping most of the trip. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
theworldallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Tomy1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Just two question upfront. Are you Swiss? I ask this because if so there is no need to tell you anything about the alps.
And name 3 things that you would like to do/visit and 3 things that you would like to avoid - (Museums, old buildings, hiking, vulcanos, beach, big cities, lakes, whatever). I ask this because there are plenty of oportunities and it very much depends on what you are interested in. For example I liked Cinque Terre and I spent 4 or 5 hours walking along the coast and afterwards enjoyed a meal in one of the bistros, or the quarries of Carrara impressing yes/no? Or is the aim 4 weeks twisted roads without anything else?
Tomy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
theworldallover OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy1971 View Post
Just two question upfront. Are you Swiss? I ask this because if so there is no need to tell you anything about the alps.
And name 3 things that you would like to do/visit and 3 things that you would like to avoid - (Museums, old buildings, hiking, vulcanos, beach, big cities, lakes, whatever). I ask this because there are plenty of oportunities and it very much depends on what you are interested in. For example I liked Cinque Terre and I spent 4 or 5 hours walking along the coast and afterwards enjoyed a meal in one of the bistros, or the quarries of Carrara impressing yes/no? Or is the aim 4 weeks twisted roads without anything else?
Hey Thanks for the reply,
I am Canadian, but born in Swiss and have the bike in Swiss and spent 3 weeks last summer touring around switzerland and a bit of northern Italy.

I know a bit about the alps and I choose italy and april because that my slow month and italy may be warmer in april then the alps and i have an uncle with family near Potenza and would probably make a stop there.

3 thing I would like to see is old buildings, small rural towns and beach/coast line and a 4th just beautiful roads, scenery, people, culture.

3 things I would like to avoid, big cites, touristy things, and crowds.

Cinque Terre sounds good, good food is also appealing.
Carrara quarries looks super neat will definitely check that out.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldallover View Post
3 things I would like to avoid, big cites, touristy things, and crowds.

Cinque Terre sounds good, good food is also appealing.
The Cinque Terre are lovely, but you get "touristy things and crowds"

Good food is ALWAYS appealing
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,606
Maybe you already know the lakes north of Milano, if not they are well worth at least a few days (Lago di Como, Lago Maggiore and a few others).

And for me, the west coast of Italy is generally more scenic than east. Even if it is not “off the beaten track”. Cinque Terre was already mentioned, and that whole part of coastline is really nice, down to Isola di Elba and Orbetello. But in that region you΄ll want to make some detours inland to Toscana, some really nice roads and beautiful old cities, like Volterra and San Cimignano. Naturally Florence and also Siena are worth checking out along the way.

Rome, “la citta eternita”, is truly a magical place, contrary to my plans, I ended up staying there for several weeks – and I usually do not like big cities at all. So this was an exception. It is a bit tough to do all the sights on a bike, though (and you can΄t see them all on one trip, even if you stayed a month!)

South of Naples you΄ve got the magnificent Costa Amalfi and Isola di Capri, well worth a visit, even if can be crowded with tourists sometimes. I would also head to Sicily, a charming place in its own, and the route there along the south coast is very pretty.

In fact to make a “loop” of Italy, and if I had several weeks, I΄d consider to get a boat from Genoa to Sardinia, then another one to Sicily, and then going up the “boot” following mostly the western coastline. I did this back in 1997, and it was really a great trip. (nothing wrong with the east coast, though, and for example the strange “trulli” houses near Bari (Alberobello) were a great little sidetrip).

I used to go there on a bike 1-2 times each year, but these days it has become a bit expensive for my taste.
But Italy is still a great love of mine, it is a country that has.. well, pretty much everything, and its food is the best in the world! Enjoy.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Tomy1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Pecha72 hit the nail very well. I would agree to everything he wrote.

In April most of the passes will be closed and there will be snow in the higher regions. Therefore I would head directly southwards. If you have not seen the lakes they are worth a visit. If you choose Lago die Como or Lago Maggiore does not matter much. I also like Lugano and the Lago Lugano but it is considerably smaller and there are houses everywhere near the shore so it is maybe not the best choice. From the lakes you may ride further south and try to pass Milano in the west and hit the cost east of Genoa. If you follow the coast or use one of the small roads upcountry depends on you. The five villages of Cinque Terre are worth a visit and the area should not be to crowded in April. La Specia is one of the harbours of the italian Navy. The harbour could be worth a picture or you can use one of the twisted roads upcontry to avoid the city. Carrara could be next. And I fully agree to what Pecha wrote about Tuscany. I only would additionally name Lucca. I can tell you, the area is simply beautifull and it does not matter which city you visit or which road you take everything is simply beautiful. Next target could be Lake Trasimeno north of Rome. Well Rome stay there for at least 5 days or pass it. From my point of view the coast between Rome and Naples is not that special therefore the roads upcountry might be the better choice. Even if you do not like too touristy things visit Pompeii or Herculaneum (both near Naples). The Amalfi-Coast south of Naples is a absolut must. Further south it is you to decide if you want to take the road near the coast or if prefer a road upcountry. Maybe Tropea and Diamante are worth a visit but you have to be aware that both are bathing resorts. I have never been to Sicily but it should also be beautiful. As Pecha indicated the western coast is not that picturesque. From my point of view a road upcountry is the better choice most of the time.

What else? How about a trip to Sardina? The Island is a dream for biker. Oh yes, I would say that the suggestion from Peacha
Quote:
In fact to make a “loop” of Italy, and if I had several weeks, I΄d consider to get a boat from Genoa to Sardinia, then another one to Sicily, and then going up the “boot” following mostly the western coastline.
is really worth to think about but I would change the order. First ride down the mainland and then take a ferry to Sicily then one to Sardinia and finally one from Sardina to Genoa or if there is time left to Livorno.
Tomy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The national park area N of Genoa was very nice, we snaked through there on the way to the Ferry to Corsica......nice small roads, no traffic

Also might want to consider Corsica if you have that much time.....we only had three days on the island and had a blast.....great riding, awesome scenery, definitely go inland some......very cool small villages all over the place.......

.fuel when you can, we had the forced opportunity to do some coasting races when we both ran low inland.
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Hello,

to get some ideas you can have a look on my website here

http://francescomartini2010.wordpress.com/

not all posts are in english but some of them are (see "english" under the categories column). As you want to stop in Potenza have a look at the "Basilicata" category. Basilicata is the region where Potenza is located (http://francescomartini2010.wordpres...ry/basilicata/), I drive there very offen and is a lovely district.

Amalfi cost here on adv rider

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=amalfi

Contact me for any question or for a beer once you get here.

Ciao
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Sfcootz
Banjoboy is my guru.

Oddometer: 2,956
I urge you to ride the road to Salsello. OMG, it was sooo gorgeous, so curvy and so fun. You will not regret it!

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Italy in April may be quite wet, especially the north.
ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm View Post
Italy in April may be quite wet, especially the north.
Give some thought to a few days on Corisca, very nice riding on the west coast and the central mountain. It was formally Italian, now French, two great European cultures merge on Corsica.

I've taken the ferry from Livorno It. to Bastia Corsica, booked a cabin and spend the night on board in Livorno before sailing early the next morning.

Plan to spend a day or two in the small port village of St-Florent. It charming and has many nice restaurants at harbor side. My favorite diner spot was in town at the juncture of road that leads up to the old fortification that overlooks the harbor.

The road from Calvin to Piana is spectacular, don't miss it!

Paul
Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
theworldallover OP
n00b

Thanks all you guys for the great suggestions, some excellent advice. Im not one to plan specific routs but with all the places you have suggested a rout forms all on its own. Excellent can't wait!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Veneto

Well I don't have much to add as far as where to ride because I am just getting around myself, but if you need a place to rack out or are swinging by the Vicenza/Padova area hit me up.
I just moved here, but have a decent garage unit, food, wine and always welcome new friends.
PM if you need any info.

Z
Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
soises
Cityboy

Oddometer: 14
A friend and me went to northern Italy and southern France this year in May. Some of the passes were stil closed and as we passed the gates and bars none the less there was enough snow and ice that we had to turn around (near Lake Garda).

One of my all time favourites on this tour was the road (E74) between Limone Piemonte and Ventimiglia. At the Tunnel du Col de Tende, you start in the first row with the local bike heros and from there on it`s 55 km of pure bliss. :)

soises screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 09:09 AM
soises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #15
MisterMike24
Legal Alien

Oddometer: 23
Hi theworldallover,

I'm planning on heading that way in late March/early April for a round trip of the boot. We might bump into each other! (Hopefully not literally!)

I join the others in recommending Sardinia, I lived there for a year and it is really breathtaking. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out!

MisterMike24 is offline   Reply With Quote