ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,917
Wanted: Chrysler/Diesel techs in the PNW

Posted by kind permission of DantesDame.

I thought it was worth seeing if any ADVrs are interested. We could really use more techs, and aren't finding them through 'normal' channels.

I work for a Chrysler dealer in the Pacific Northwest, and we need another certified tech. Maybe a couple-three, but at least one with diesel qualifications.

Where I live, we get 300+ days of sunshine a year, the cheapest electricity in the nation, and recreation from great skiing to mountain biking and spectacular singletrack. We've got deer, elk, bears, the Columbia River and lakes aplenty. A 600 yard range is 15 minutes away.

Competitive pay and benefits. Moving allowance negotiable.

PM me.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,471
down here there are a lot of independent shops specializing in diesel trucks. seems the dealers don't want to pay the mechanics a decent wage. most of these shops are full of broken down rams.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Where's "down here"? We'll help with moving expenses.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Off Limits
Thread killer

So cal.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Where's "down here"? We'll help with moving expenses.

1911fan

Moving expenses!

how about a decent wage

50% of labor rate

what is ur labor rate up there, and what could a good tech expect to make????

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
Those were the good old days
I remember many a job I had paying
50-52% of labor rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
Moving expenses!

how about a decent wage

50% of labor rate

what is ur labor rate up there, and what could a good tech expect to make????
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Off Limits
Thread killer

a lot of my friends went to UTI in Arizona and took the diesel course. most all are working in so cal making 50 bucks an hour. they aren't working at a dealership. can you beat that kind of money? what kind of health insurance coverage? to you cover chiropractic? 401k? retirement?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Well, $50/hour must be nice. Cost of living is a bunch lower here though. We have health insurance, 401k, and so on. Far fewer people and way better scenery.

1911fan

Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
Off Limits
Thread killer

Quote:
Well, $50/hour must be nice. Cost of living is a bunch lower here though. We have health insurance, 401k, and so on. Far fewer people and way better scenery.

1911fan
What kind of hourly wage are you offering? And are this going to be flat rate or book rated? Basically could a mechanic move up there and live in a middle class neighborhood and support his family and still ride on weekeńds?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Limits View Post
What kind of hourly wage are you offering? And are this going to be flat rate or book rated? Basically could a mechanic move up there and live in a middle class neighborhood and support his family and still ride on weekeńds?
Where 1911 is you could probably do all that on 40k a year and live pretty well. It's not Downtown Seattle :)

And the riding is... um... epic.

And if you're real lucky maybe 1911fan will come out at midnight & drag your ass up the mountain when you have a boo-boo
(thanks again bud!!!)
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

All true.... Good schools, too, and Rover31 and I will wake you up at 1:30 AM after arguing with the sheriff about you. Hi Aaron!! Gotta tell you, getting up at 5AM made the day we rescued you, and the next, real long....

For wages etc PM me please, I'm not comfortable discussing them on an open forum. Obviously, DOE and training. Moving expenses likewise.

Check out www.wenatcheeworld.com for info on local living, and I'll answer any of those questions in this thread. As Aaron says, the riding here is indeed epic, thousands of miles of gravel FS roads, and singletrack you'll never ride all of. We grow apples, cherries, pears, corn, and wheat, we make aluminum, we have world-class downhill skiiing, the Columbia River and a lot of lakes for water sports, fish/hunt/ride, microbreweries... and four seasons. We get some snow in town in the winter, not much accumulation most years and they plow. Spring is pretty, summers are usually long and hot. Temps in Wenatchee will get up over 100 midsummer, not much worse than 20 in midwinter. We also get epic lightning displays in the spring. Anybody at the Wetfest a couple years ago can testify.

OffLimits, PM sent.

1911fan

1911fan screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 09:35 AM Reason: PM sent
Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:

1911fan
what that basically means is, we pay lower here even though we charge the customers the same as YOU do down south!

I found this out a few years back when we wanted to move out of cali to oregon!
I was offered 2-3 jobs, but at 1/2 of what i make here, and the same excuse was that it cost less to live there and we dont pay on the same scale as down south
WTF
milk, groceries, gas and cost of living are all the same in most aspects from where we live

ps
im not trying to still the pot, but it pisses me off when they wanna recruit us then offer us less, we are always supposed to be moving up in this world not going backwards!

I am in not associated with happy-trails.com
I am the original happytrails
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Off Limits
Thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
what that basically means is, we pay lower here even though we charge the customers the same as YOU do down south!

I found this out a few years back when we wanted to move out of cali to oregon!
I was offered 2-3 jobs, but at 1/2 of what i make here, and the same excuse was that it cost less to live there and we dont pay on the same scale as down south
WTF
milk, groceries, gas and cost of living are all the same in most aspects from where we live

ps
im not trying to still the pot, but it pisses me off when they wanna recruit us then offer us less, we are always supposed to be moving up in this world not going backwards!

Yes I agree, it's not healthy for our country to be in a race to the bottom.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Yeah, and.... Labor rates vary with location. Last I checked, import dealers in the San Francisco Bay area were well over $100/hour, one was $125. I'm sure a lot of that is eaten up with fixed-op expenses, and I'm also sure their techs make good money. And spend a lot of it on living expenses, steep mortgages, shitty commutes, parking fees in the metro area, stuff like that.
Several years later, and in a town of around 60,000 people in the middle of Washington state, we charge $92/hr and are about average for this area. Fixed ops expenses are lower, especially property/sales taxes and electricity. As noted above, it's about the cheapest in the country. You can buy a nice house in a good neighborhood and school district for at or under $200,000
SO: If you want to compare apples and oranges, fine by me. What we have to offer is not wealth beyond measure. What we DO have is a beautiful area to live, very short commutes (10-15 minutes is about average), solid schools, over 300 days of sunshine a year, all the outdoor recreation you can handle, a low crime rate, and so on. Moving here isn't a grab for the gold ring. If that's what you're after, stay where you are.

Also, please, if you're posting to crap on this thread, how 'bout not? I'm serious about this, we really need the techs and are not finding any through normal channels. Thought I'd offer you FF'rs the option. If you don't want it, that's fine. If you're even a little interested, PM me.

1911fan

Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
hbmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
And dont forget...

My new diesel (ford) doesnt produce the slightest bit of smoke but I hear the progressive state of Washington has legalized recreational use!
hbmichael is offline   Reply With Quote