Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
4 Aussie Mates, 13 Days, 4800Kms, Newcastle to Flinders Ranges loop.

So on returning from our last big mission from Newcastle to Birdsville in 2011 for Rod & Dans 40th’s,( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742567) We all had the adventure riding bug big time & we decided to make plans to do another similar ride in 3 years time for My 40th.
Fast Forward to 20th September 2014 & 4 Mates from the Hunter headed off for 13 Days of Dirt Bike goodness from Newcastle to Flinders Ranges & back.

Big Bore weapons of choice:I was taking A KTM 690 Enduro that I bought new in 2012, specifically with this trip in mind as the last trip I rode an XR400 for the 4500KM trip & while it was fun, I wanted something with a bit more balls so the 690 was perfect. I fitted a heap of goodies over the years including Our new RallyFly Fairing, tuned suspension & Renazco Seat to turn the 690 Enduro into an adventure/Rally machine.
(More info HERE http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=982080 )
Rodney stuck with his same trusty steed from the last trip, an XR650, with a heap of go-fast goodies on board. This time Rod had Nick Dole at Teknik work his magic, fitting a cam, Hi comp piston & Vortex ignition, turning the XR into an absolute torque monster.
Yatesy Left the KTM 450EXC at home, bought a DR560 & fitted a Safari Tank & Fairing combo along with suspension tuned by Suzuki’s Jay Foreman.
& Muz rode his highly modified TT600 Belgarda. This thing was fitted with an unobtainium “Dakar Cam” amongst other goodies & was mighty impressive for an old girl.

Day 1: Newcastle to Macquarie River crossing 420Kms
We met up at 6:00 AM ( much to Muz’s disgust at the early start) at Greenhills Macca’s for breaky before we paired up the Bluetooth headsets & headed off. Up through Singleton, Bylong Valley Way, Rylstone then Kandos for our 1st Beer & lunch at the Pub. While We were waiting, we heard someone doing a filthy burnout, followed by another.. then another, so we headed toward the noise & were surprised to see a proper Burnout Pad with a heap of tough cars lined up to destroy some tires. So we watched a few bogans shred some rubber & headed off on our merry way. We hit the dirt & passed through Hill end on our way to the 1st challenge of the trip, the Macquarie river crossing at Dixons Long Point. The crossing was a heap of fun with plenty of big nasty, slippery rocks to send you spearing off course & in My case, into deep water. I was the guinnea pig so I went 1st so I could set up the camera’s to catch any carnage but the fella’s had pretty un-eventful crossings, the only victim being Muz’s thongs that floated away down the river.

We then found a spot just down river from the crossing & set up camp by the river & built the all-important fire to dry our wet gear.
After Dinner We prayed for beer & it seems the bike Gods were smiling that night as they delivered an Angel in the form of Rods old friend Mick who rocked up from nearby Orange with a cold case of neck oil in the car. HAPPY DAYS!! Awesome start to the trip.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2: Macquarie River crossing to West Wyalong 352Kms
Fairly short Day as we were staying at Rods Parents place for the night. After a quick stop in Orange we headed to Parkes through the massive fields of yellow flowers, then took the back roads all the way to West Wyalong. Not much else to report other than good times.

Muz'z TT600

Creedy's RallyFly 690

Safety stop

Creedy.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3: West Wyalong to Menindee 613Kms
Up early as We planned a big Day’s riding ahead & by now We are just starting to get into the groove & upping the pace on the big open dirt roads. We rode into Hillston to fill up & We got chatting to a guy filling up his truck at the servo. He took a look at the 690 & said “Nice 690, what kit is that?” I Told him we made it ourselves & said” You’re the guys from Newcastle”. It was a bizzare moment as here we were far from home & this guy new all about our kit. Turns out he is a fellow inmate with a 690 fitted with a Mecca Systems kit. Cant remember his name but he gave us some directions for our next leg to avoid the Tar so we followed his advice & blasted off following the train lines to Ivenhoe. The tracks were awesome high speed, fast flowing trails & we made great time, & a few times I saw 170KPH on the 690’s speedo. Definitely gets the heart pumping.

We caught up with Old Mate at Ivenhoe a little while later & I think he was surprised to see us there so quick. We pulled into Menindee with the intension of camping but after a quick search on Google, Muz had found us the perfect place to stay for the night.

The good people at the Maidens Hotel made us feel welcome & let us park our bikes in the beer garden, right in front of our rooms. This place was great with Beer, Pub Grub, & warm showers.

Dirty buggers

We had a Bizarre moment at the end of the night with a short rotund guy in the room next door who asked us if we like to party before playing the Dr Who theme song on his laptop that he carried around in his hand but that’s another story.

Creedy
Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4: Menindee to Hawker 575Kms
One of My favourite Days of the trip started off with a bit of uncertainty as the locals were all predicting a storm & we were not sure how far We would get. We could either stay at Yunta or push through to Hawker.

These strange hieroglyphics seemed to pop up throughout the trip!

The Doctor at the lakes

We headed off around the ‘lakes’ (I use that term loosely as there was not a lot of water to be seen), & turned left for a short stint along the Silver City Hwy during which Yatesy copped a Wasp sting to the side of the head when it jammed itself between his goggles & helmet. Hilarity ensued for the next 3 Days as one side of his face swelled up leaving him looking like he had gone a few rounds with Iron Mike!

I got My eye on you!

We took the turn off to Loch Lilly & crossed the State boarder into South Australia & after a few Hrs of awesome, we arrived in the thrilling town of Yunta. Even though the weather to the north was looking shithouse, there was no way we were staying at Yunta & the looming storm put a stop to any plans to set up camp at the Ruins so after a servo pie & the obligatory beers at the Pub, we set off for Hawker.

South Aus boarder

Happy Rodney

Yunta Pub

We made it about 2/3 of the way there before we got pissed on & it certainly made for interesting riding. Man that red dirt gets slick real fast. These tracks were not very well worn & made a nice change from the fast open roads of the last few Days. The scenery was drastically changing & we were now surrounded with a heap more greenery & huge mountains on either side.

We pulled into Hawker & scored some comfy rooms at the local Hotel/Pub & after another great feed & beers, we hit the sack early (We must be getting old as there seems to be a trend of early nights going on) as we were all pretty knackered.
To Be continued...........
Creedy.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
bikeroz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Where is the like button?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
BSSD
Swollen Sack

Oddometer: 22

Great report.... I'll be in Canberra next month. Wish I had my bike there....
Old 10-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSD View Post

Great report.... I'll be in Canberra next month. Wish I had my bike there....
Nice report - and a great job with that Rally Fly fairing
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5: Hawker to Angorichina XXXKms
A quick check over the bike’s revealed Rod’s exhaust was melting its way through the XR’s side plate & My numberplate was cracked & on its way to being lost so we headed off to look for a workshop for some running repairs. We found an engineering mob that happened to have some truck exhaust wrap & these champs helped us out with the parts & tools we needed to make the repairs. Gotta love the Outback hospitality.
With the bad weather behind us it was a short run to Angorichina Village where we had booked 3 nights in one of their most awesome Heysen Cabins. The scenery along the way just got more epic as the day went on & we were soon surrounded by huge mountain ranges on either side of us.

Plenty of Emu’s with their Chick’s darting around with the occasional Goats & Kangaroo’s thrown in just to keep us on our toes & it was one of those Emu’s that came close to ending my trip. These big bastards have to be one of the stupidest animals in Aus! This one came at me from nowhere & I didn’t have much time to react. Running at me from the left, I locked eyes with this thing as I prepared to be T-boned by this freaky bird. I braced for impact, yelled FAAAARRK & then.......nothing... It missed me by pulling its silly looking head back just enough to clear me as I flew by at 100Kph. The boys behind me thought I was gone for all money & got a good laugh at the little dance it did at the last second as I brushed passed it. I will never forget the look on that Emu’s head as it passed within centimetres of mine. Turns out some poor bloke was killed after hitting an Emu just a few days earlier so it pays to be on guard for Stupid Emu’s doing stupid things because they are stupid.
We had a ball on the Tar sections & the smooth undulating roads & long sweepers made for a nice change from the dusty trails of the last few days & for a while we could relax & enjoy the views instead of the 110% concentration needed when flying across the dirt trails at warp speed.

We arrived in Blinman for lunch & beers before heading off to Ango to check out our accommodation for the next 3 days. On arrival, we were greeted by Dave & Caroline & shown to our new digs. I was blown away. You couldn’t wipe the smiles off our dials when we saw our cabin. Nice modern rooms with a full kitchen, Bathroom, lounge & TV with a view that would be hard to beat. Plenty of undercover parking for the bikes & a BBQ with a view. Happy Dayz indeed. The Village shop was stocked with all the essentials from Beer to meat packs so we were never going to go without.

We did some exploring, cooked up a feed & did some bike prepping for the next few days riding while looking forward to the next few days riding without the additional weight of our luggage.
The following days certainly didn’t disappoint..........
Creedy.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some more pics from the hill next to our cabin.

Creedy.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,823
nice RR

love the Ride report mate and the 690 Flyer is a treat. well done.

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
Jaybee750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Congratulations Guys, nice job, very envious.

fantastic photography in there as well....

Cheers
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
splinters
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
looks like you had an awesome trip mate glad I could help cheers phill
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,081
Brilliant shots mate, subscribed.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 880
Nice!

Can you show it on the map?

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
creedyflyr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
Nice!

Can you show it on the map?

Nic
Yep,

Thanks for all the positive comments. much appreciated. Ive still got a heap of pics & hrs of footage to go through as all 4 of us used Gopro's.

Here's a sneak peak..

More to come.
Creedy.