Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Mudfrog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ride Must Go On

Hi,

I have started my RTW five months ago from Istanbul and the Asia part was completed in Magadan. I am in the US for a while, riding the Backcountry Dirt Roads around Utah. Although I prepped a 690 Enduro for my trip, KTM Turkey somehow provided me an 1190 Adventure R and now I am waiting for it to arrive Vancouver from Magadan. Meanwhile I bought a 640 in LA and riding the BDR up to Seattle. I will put together a ride report when I have more comfortable time but here are some photos for the upcoming report.

www.ridemustgoon.com

Russia

Altai Republic

Mongolia

Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,669
Epic adventure!! So you're on a borrowed bike? Even better . Why did KTM want you to take their bike over your 690?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Looks great,bring it on
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,493
I've been following your ride on FB for awhile now since I saw a picture of you on another RR. I'm very interested to hear a non-biased impression of just how suitable the big 1190R is to RTW riding.

Good to see you here.

DW
Old 10-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
NKOrange
Puny homer

Oddometer: 164
Great stuff!

Looking forward to more

7 times down, 8 times up. Such is life.
NKOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
Mudfrog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Epic adventure!! So you're on a borrowed bike? Even better . Why did KTM want you to take their bike over your 690?

Well, I had a Rally Raid Evo2 kit on the bike so that was not a good marketing material for them. I said yes to the offer mainly in a financial way `free bike`.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Mudfrog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
I've been following your ride on FB for awhile now since I saw a picture of you on another RR. I'm very interested to hear a non-biased impression of just how suitable the big 1190R is to RTW riding.

Good to see you here.

DW
There were some sections that I really missed my 690. Northern Mongolia and in some parts of Far East Russia to be honest. But other than that I was able to ride really fast like 160-170 km/h on the Vilyusiky Trakt (dirt route from Mirny to Yakutsk). I was more comfortable on some tarmac sections as well. But I changed the rims and put tubes inside. Disabled all MTS, ABS crap with the dongle. I did not have a major problem with the bike till Magadan but I would love it more it it was 50kg. lighter.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Far East Russia

I can't find a write-up of Lensk to Magadan on "Ride Must Go On." I'd be very interested in that coverage, since I rode London to Magadan this Summer. I see you were ahead of me since your photo of the gas station covered in stickers does not show my sticker.
I think you're in Vancouver? Enjoy! That's a wonderful city. I know people there.

My Suzuki DR 650 just arrived Seattle, Washington, and I need to ride it across the USA to complete my rtw trip, but I don't know about this weather now. I hope your KTM passes Canadian customs easier than my bike did US customs. Otherwise I may have been able to complete my trip before the "polar vortex." Ha!

EDIT 11/23/14. Ah! I see you've updated "Ride Must Go On." Some about the heavy mining in Siberia. Very good. I like to read other riders opinions on areas I've been in. Here's a picture of the heavy mining equipment I saw around Neryungri. Scroll about 1/3 down. It reminded me of the mining equipment around my home town in Pennsylvania.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...978907&page=17

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 11-23-2014 at 03:50 PM
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
_serhan_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
No pictures while in turkey?
_serhan_ is offline   Reply With Quote