User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #91
Tiffany
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 993
Thumb

Wow - more great pictures, and I know Antonio's pain. It always seems to be at the end of the day when I'm getting tired that I have a fall.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #92
macera
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!
macera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #93
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
DAY 11: Ananalava - Ankify

Day 11 started with the warm bright sun shining morning we currently miss so much in north Europe.

We took a generous breakfast at the nice hotel of Bruno, the former pilot and adventurer, always very nice and cool His mother, who went retiring at his place, chatted a bit with us.

We then jumped on our saddles. Last full day of our trip, so watch out not to

After a few km of sandy track along the sea, first thing we needed to do was to pass the La Loza river delta straight. One option was:

(with pic of president candidate number xxx)
But on that day the wind was so strong and the water stream, the entire bay emptying through this stay, so powerful, that the real solution to avoid pirogues and bikes to be swallowed by the ocean, was a motorised boat, organised by Jean-Pierre:
Franck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #94
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

headings

on the other side of the straight there used to be a road. Now more than 50 years later, only dust, not even a trail.
Only a tiny pedestrian path vanishing into vague crossings.

N/NW heading, we were often stopping at the top of a hill to understand how to catch the trail running 20km away.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #95
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Awesome! Thank you for sharing your adventures!!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #96
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

mango trees, hanging well over the path, were almost the only shadow... energy food ration inclusive... and at times trouble maker for our Go-Pro carrying stunt man. For all of us bongo our our helmets passing through.
Time for a break.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #97
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After some times we approached areas with more vegetation... and the first village. Back on track. And what a trail ! 40km of fluid trails going through forest, sand, rocks, dust, up, down, jumping gaps, full amusement program .
No navigation required so I couldn´t help let the fire out of my tires... I´ll having plenty of time to have conservative sofa sessions during the cold European winter.

It was the last full day of our adventure. On that evening we would be back to known land, where we started from on the main Island the second day. Loop complete.

Heading for the road, I made a break to wait for my fellows to catch up. At that place a tornado passed, lifting all kinds of branches. As if the elements we rode our way through were telling us goodbye
Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #98
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On the last stretch of road, I noticed how familiar the landscape, people, villages and towns, and life seemed already familiar to me. I could recall my first feelings on our first stretch on the main Island, this feeling I travel through the intimacy of a different, unfamiliar, world. I realised how much I had adapted to my traveller condition, my soul and body were ready to go on and on absorbing every bits of track and daily show. But it was the last day, it made me wish for more.

Franck B screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:26 AM
Old 11-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #99
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the afternoon we arrived in the town of Ambanja. Thierry checked at a Telma shop for getting a new SIM card cause he dropped his phone from his pocket two days before... no way... he would have had to go first to a police station, make a declaration there, etc.. welcome back to civilisation.

On our way to Ankify then, we went across the cyclists that deliver fish to Ambanja.. they go full speed the 18km from Ankify harbour to city center to be the first to sell their fish to restaurants and to evening market fishmongers
Old 11-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #100
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On the road to Ankify, we crossed the cocoa plantations and reached our destination around 4pm

Hotel on the main square of Ankify, right on the beach; time for a few team shots

Remember Leo, with the Chinese bike, who hunted the wild duck on the second day ? It is his brother´s hotel.

We then shared a few beers with Thierry and Leo´s brother, waiting for Souadry, the school teacher we met at the school on second day, Frederic and Veronique, from the Madilo association supporting the school, to arrive from Diego by car
Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #101
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It was 6PM and black dark when they arrived. They invited us all to an excellent gastronomic dinner. We were not the only guest, also eye doctors brining thousands of pairs of glasses and who measured vision of kids around the region joined us.
Very interesting evening and animated discussions, exchanging respective experiences and points of view, all united by the magics of discovering Madagascar. Souadry was the chef cook, one of his numerous excellent talents Veronique (left on the pic) said, but he his so happy to be a teacher, he wouldn´t give it up for any other activity.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #102
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAY 12: Ankify - Nosy Be

We left in the morning to catch the ferry to Nosy Be. The main ferry was delayed, so we took a smaller one with poum-poum engine, us 5, one car, and a few passengers on board.

The single off-road program of the day was testing the motocross track of Nosy Be.

The track was extended from 2km to 5km by an off-road track in the view of the upcoming competition (check https://fr-fr.facebook.com/MotoClubDeNosyBe) in the week-end.
When we arrived at Dar es Salam, Mauro and Andrea were boiling for training for the competition, they went training with Thierry on their EXC. A few other expatriate riders from Madagascar were preparing their bikes as well.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #103
Franck B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We had an additional day at Nosy Be, bathing, snorkelling, rowing leaky pirogues and walking through the national park to see lemurs, boas, camouflage lizards.

It was our cool down session after the adventure, transition to normal life.

A last dinner, all together also with Andrea, Mauro, Thierry and family, at the honours table of the excellent BaTuMoCh restaurant, to recall all the memories

The next morning Andrea drove us to the airport. Flight back.
2 days later it snowed in Munich, Germany; We were sitting in our offices, working on computers, still lots of images and wind between the ears

Franck B screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:47 PM
Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #104
SunnyJH
iADV

Oddometer: 21
Thank you

Great report - thank you for taking me out of the cold european winter and into the unknown and exciting world of Madagascar!

I enjoyed it very much!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #105
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,027
Yes, excellent report, Thanks!