User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
My Sister-in-Law was NOT Amused

Our 15 year old niece has taken a liking to the old Honda Fat Cat-- honestly, I think she'd prefer a track day on a Ducati; she likes to go FAST. Which, naturally, the Fat Cat does NOT do-- but she'll take what she can get.

We've been promising to trailer the Fat Cat up to the hills and let her loose on the trails one more time before the snow shuts us down for the winter. So that's what we did this last weekend.

The Boyfriend ("Hesaid" here on ADV) got a sinister notion in his head which involved an elaborate photo shoot with this result in mind:

(Yeah, I know, she didn't put her gloves back on for the photos, but she has her elbow pads on under her sweatshirt.)

I was particularly fond of this photo:

Ride with Savannah 11-01-13

But it just wasn't convincing in the gif.

We sent my sister-in-law (the neice's step mom) this shot as soon as we were back in cell range on our way home:

131102-savannahride-crash

When we returned our neice in perfect condition, we were informed that we are dangerously close to not being allowed to play with her unsupervised anymore.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,585
Good for you taking her riding.! More Kids need exposed to the sport.

But please get her a full face helmet.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
But with a full face helmet, who would see her best "Duckface" pics?

We let her pick her own helmet, and did our best to explain the +/- on all the various types. I hope we can talk her into another one, but...

MV
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 197
Good for you. I understand protecting kids... to a degree. We wrap kids in bubble wrap too much then we berate them when they waste their lives in front of video games or with their face glued to any glowing screen they can find instead of out experiencing life and accomplishing things. Without failures and pain, we never learn to grow and overcome obstacles in life. Getting hurt is part of the experience of life and part of growing up. Not that this applies to your niece, but certainly needs to be said to many people. I love the following phrase:
Sweat dries,
Blood clots,
Bones heal,
Suck it up Princess!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post

She wiped out in a turn on a forestry road back in June. Bruised a bone in her foot (so she finally agreed to let us get her BOOTS) and came back to camp with her braces full of dirt. I thought for sure she would embrace a full face helmet after that! I even have one that would fit. But no luck.

What she REALLY needs is a cute boy to tell her that ATTGATT girls are HAWT.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
But with a full face helmet, who would see her best "Duckface" pics?

We let her pick her own helmet, and did our best to explain the +/- on all the various types. I hope we can talk her into another one, but...

MV
Yes, +1 on taking the time to get to know your niece (teen-age girls can be hard to get along with!) and teaching her how to ride! Very cool. And good luck with the gear - it's like the old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Funny, we want kids to think for themselves and then when they do we are surprised they don't think just like we do. I learned to ride 50 years ago (no shit!) and the equipment we had then was incredibly crappy, but I survived some horrific wrecks and still absolutely love the sport. She'll be fine so long as you control what you can of the hazards (keep her out of traffic, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMedic View Post
We wrap kids in bubble wrap too much then we berate them when they waste their lives in front of video games or with their face glued to any glowing screen they can find instead of out experiencing life and accomplishing things. Without failures and pain, we never learn to grow and overcome obstacles in life. Getting hurt is part of the experience of life and part of growing up.
Yup, I see it everywhere, kids so glued to their "glowing screens" they are barely aware of the world turning around them. Leaves more room out in the boonies for the rest of us, I suppose.

Doug
Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,679
Quote:
Good for you. I understand protecting kids... to a degree. We wrap kids in bubble wrap too much then we berate them when they waste their lives in front of video games or with their face glued to any glowing screen they can find instead of out experiencing life and accomplishing things. Without failures and pain, we never learn to grow and overcome obstacles in life. Getting hurt is part of the experience of life and part of growing up. Not that this applies to your niece, but certainly needs to be said to many people. I love the following phrase:
Sweat dries,
Blood clots,
Bones heal,
Suck it up Princess!
My two daughters are either tom-boys or princesses depending on their moods....I need to remember that phase...
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Some people just have no sence of humor.
Looks like a fun day.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
Very cool.

Your sister-in-law will get over it.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Very cool.

Your sister-in-law will get over it.
Would not have been "very cool" if she would have cracked some teeth or worse.
Take risks with your own children if you want but not with someone else's child.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Would not have been "very cool" if she would have cracked some teeth or worse.
Take risks with your own children if you want but not with someone else's child.
Ummm... you do understand that she staged those pictures with his niece, right? There was no crash, only the illusion of one. Lighten up Francis.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 197
Cracked tooth? So what. Broken arms? So what. What is really so bad about getting hurt? Why must children go into adulthood never understanding pain? These same children who never take risks won't do so as adults either. They end up living boring, unfulfilled lives. Teach your children to understand risk, mitigate risk, but more importantly how to recover from failure when they misjudge the risk. Failure hurts. As long as they learn from it, grow from it, and learn how to succeed, that is the important lesson.

Before you go off on me about injuries, I am a paramedic. I have seen almost every injury man is capable of inflicting on himself or others. Injury is not the end of life. It can be a valuable tool for teaching. My motto has always been, "if you aren't bleeding, you aren't having fun". I have done some amazing things in my life that I am thankful to have had the opportunities to do. Have I gotten hurt? Absolutely. I am home right now with a broken ankle taking a time out from life. In another month I will be right back at it.

To the OP, keep giving the kids in your family experiences like these. The sister in law needs to lighten up. When your niece bashes her face in from the open face helmet, she will learn to take the advice of others. "See I told you so" isn't a phrase to shy away from. It embarrasses her and holds her accountable to her own lack of judgement and informs her that someone else had better judgement than she did. It is all part of growing up living a life well lived.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Cracked tooth? So what. Broken arms? So what. What is really so bad about getting hurt? Why must children go into adulthood never understanding pain? These same children who never take risks won't do so as adults either. They end up living boring, unfulfilled lives. Teach your children to understand risk, mitigate risk, but more importantly how to recover from failure when they misjudge the risk. Failure hurts. As long as they learn from it, grow from it, and learn how to succeed, that is the important lesson.

Before you go off on me about injuries, I am a paramedic. I have seen almost every injury man is capable of inflicting on himself or others. Injury is not the end of life. It can be a valuable tool for teaching. My motto has always been, "if you aren't bleeding, you aren't having fun". I have done some amazing things in my life that I am thankful to have had the opportunities to do. Have I gotten hurt? Absolutely. I am home right now with a broken ankle taking a time out from life. In another month I will be right back at it.

To the OP, keep giving the kids in your family experiences like these. The sister in law needs to lighten up. When your niece bashes her face in from the open face helmet, she will learn to take the advice of others. "See I told you so" isn't a phrase to shy away from. It embarrasses her and holds her accountable to her own lack of judgement and informs her that someone else had better judgement than she did. It is all part of growing up living a life well lived.
Bravo! Well said! You can't live an adventurous life hiding under your bed watching YouTube videos. I read your post on another thread asking for input for a class project on the value of safety gear - if you're still riding after being involved in all that you must truly love the sport.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post22738486

I've been doing it for a very long time and it still brings a huge smile to my face every time I throw a leg over a bike. I love it that Auntie is teaching this girl to ride. Light the fire!

Doug
Old 11-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Cracked tooth? So what. Broken arms? So what. What is really so bad about getting hurt? Why must children go into adulthood never understanding pain? These same children who never take risks won't do so as adults either. They end up living boring, unfulfilled lives.
Or, having never been hurt as a child, take stupid risks as an adult.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
She wiped out in a turn on a forestry road back in June. Bruised a bone in her foot (so she finally agreed to let us get her BOOTS) and came back to camp with her braces full of dirt. I thought for sure she would embrace a full face helmet after that! I even have one that would fit. But no luck.
I'm sorry, I guess I'm missing something here.

As the adults, you are responsible for the gear she wears. It seems prudent- especially engaging in activities the child's mom doesn't particularly like- to take reasoanble precautions to reduce risk of injury.

When child-shaped people ride with me, the do so with as much gear as I wear; when they turn 18, they get to make their own choices. (I'm not above cherry picking threads out of Face Plant to show what can happen w/o proper gear.)

So let her brag to her friends that she crashed so bad, shed have a mouth full of broken teeth if her awesome auntie hadn't hooked her up with a good helmet.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote