Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Or, for that matter, the climb out of Villargondran just south of St. Jean.

The little Col de Mollard, another gem, you're right. Only north to south though. Had it planned for the return loop but spent too much time on the Col de Sarenne out of Alpe d'Huez. There's always more...

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg View Post
this is a keeper pic Pete.. nice!
Thanks....love the area, too. Views are always grande, being so close to the main ridge.

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #32
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
That is the beauty of the Alps, you can ride it year after year and never see all of it!

I rode many of those places last year, seems longer than that now. Great roads, and although it was France, I was not impressed with the food, prefer the Bavarian and N Italian meals better.

Will follow you on the other site!

True...it'd take endless lifetimes to see it all.
As for food....well, as Colonials we're used to mutton + boiled potatoes with Fish+Chips on Sundays....which makes everything else look pretty damn good
Thanks for looking in here...and welcome on the other site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Halooo Glitch,
Yeah I'm reading!! And going crazy with the idea of getting into this same terrain one day! Fabulous report! The tone of the writing really keeps the story moving and adeptly shifts from humor to seriousness. Well done. Really, really well done. And you know when to let the fine photos do the talking, too. Excellent all around. I've got some catching up to do but when I get to the proverbial "fork in the road" I'll swerve over onto your website and pick up the tale there. Thanks for taking all the time and effort into putting this report up here. Alps reports are a real fan favorite and while plain pass-bagging trips are fine and usually have a lot of info, but yours goes beyond and that, to me, makes it special. Thanks again!

Hi
Thanks for having a peek in and posting up, too
Can only write it up the way I've seen it and felt about it at the time...or in hindsight. The "pass-bagging"/competitive angle is certainly the more usual style, perhaps the lack of which making this yarn fall over here.

Whatever, it's written up primarily for those who were there, enjoyed the places for a little more than a cursory glance or ticking off a sheet, were happy enough with 120mi days and enjoyed the towns, people, exceptional lunch-stops/ locations/ vistas and scenery and the whole palette of differences at least as much as I did.
They also saw the small stuff, details, similarities to our own life DownUnder etc...we just didn't have enough time at the dinner-table to bring it all out and talk/ laugh about the day's happenings.

Which made for great company without friction and laughs from morning till night. Perhaps not everyone's idea of a good time, but to me it's LIFE.

www.AusTouring.com
Old 11-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #33
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
.. and you never did finish that ride report...
I was thinking about that the other day, some free time coming soon, maybe a revisit is in order.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #34
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was thinking about that the other day, some free time coming soon, maybe a revisit is in order.
Would be great.
Just had a good look at your yarn..which started as a quick look about an hour ago .
You seemed to have enjoyed the Assietta and Finestre, too...got them coming up in the next day, just upping the pics for that at the moment.

btw...the 28 hairpins in 5km are the Colle delle Finestre into Susa

www.AusTouring.com

glitch_oz screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 01:59 AM
Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Great report about a great area for touring! I've been there several times & agree about the inability to adequately describe (or photograph) the Chamonix/Mt. Blanc/ Aiguille du Midi/ St Bernard (great & small) region. Thanks for sharing it so well.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #36
BSTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
That's the way I like it ...

hi Pete and the rest of the gang.
I just finished page 3 of the thread and I must tell you, you find the good roads, mate! I also like the small roads, where you mostly find only the locals, leave the big roads for the trucks and the amatuer racers.
Where you drive you find the interesting side of the country.
By the way, very nice pics.
Ciao Gero
BSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #37
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
Great report about a great area for touring! I've been there several times & agree about the inability to adequately describe (or photograph) the Chamonix/Mt. Blanc/ Aiguille du Midi/ St Bernard (great & small) region. Thanks for sharing it so well.

Thanks...and thanks for looking in, too. As mentioned a few posts earlier, the story continues for another close to 2 weeks towards Sospel, the Maira-Stura area, the Vercors near Grenoble and back through the Bernese High Country. JUst follow the links for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTT View Post
hi Pete and the rest of the gang.
I just finished page 3 of the thread and I must tell you, you find the good roads, mate! I also like the small roads, where you mostly find only the locals, leave the big roads for the trucks and the amatuer racers.
Where you drive you find the interesting side of the country.
By the way, very nice pics.
Ciao Gero

Hi
thanks for the reply
Thought the thread was pretty much dead and just clicked into it by chance.
As for the small roads...it's the same we try to do over here, but the Alps have got that much more to offer in a pretty small area and you're right...pick the right time and the right roads and you can be pretty much on your own all day long.
What a fantastic place to guys have to play with.

Gruesse in den Harz

www.AusTouring.com
Old 11-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post

As for the small roads...it's the same we try to do over here, but the Alps have got that much more to offer in a pretty small area and you're right...pick the right time and the right roads and you can be pretty much on your own all day long.
What a fantastic place to guys have to play with.

Gruesse in den Harz
Most people do not realize the entire Alps area is about 1/2 the size of Colorado, but packed into that area is THOUSANDS of roads better than anything CO can offer for a small road junkie. That is why I sit here with the furnace off in 20 degree temps, just so I can pay for my 9th return next year!
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #39
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Most people do not realize the entire Alps area is about 1/2 the size of Colorado, but packed into that area is THOUSANDS of roads better than anything CO can offer for a small road junkie. That is why I sit here with the furnace off in 20 degree temps, just so I can pay for my 9th return next year!
Agreed. Unlike US/CN/AUS and similar sized countries, the density of population/ development/roads/infrastructure/traveller-offerings etc etc is that much greater, it's hard to get a handle on all the possibilities and routes one can take. Mind-boggling stuff.
There's easily 3 weeks of concentrated riding possible within a 60-100mi radius of any given location in the Alps.

www.AusTouring.com
Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #40
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Of course, they've been building roads for a few more millenia than we have, too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Of course, they've been building roads for a few more millenia than we have, too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Also , they have to build roads in impossible places for military needs since the romans…

I still haven't rode them all .

(and began in 1978…)
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #42
BSTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Gruesse in den Harz
[/QUOTE]

Hej Pete,
seems you know my area quite well, keep on rollin' .
Ciao Gero
BSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #43
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
Also , they have to build roads in impossible places for military needs since the romans…

True...and some of those aren incredible pieces of road-construction.
Thinking of Castasegna-Soglio and the Septimer Pass for one...and there are many more liek it.

www.AusTouring.com
Old 11-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #44
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTT View Post
Gruesse in den Harz
Hej Pete,
seems you know my area quite well, keep on rollin' .
Ciao Gero[/QUOTE]

Yo, rode the Harz for a week on an ST50 Honda Dax in '71, tent and all, great memories.

www.AusTouring.com