ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Mojave Mutt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Mojave National Preserve Camp and Ride

Would like to put together a camp and ride trip. Likely stay at Mid Hills Campground because I like camping at elevation before winter hits. Trucking in staying 2-3 nights and riding out of camp on good day loops. I'm on a KTM EXC500, a very experienced and well prepared offroader. I live in SoCal High Desert so MNP not too far from me.

I'm off work 10/4/13 to 10/14/13, can do a couple night scouting trip during that time for a near future ride or a full tour.
I also have Friday thru Sunday of every week and a a 4 day weekend for November 8-11. November 11, is Veterans day

Anyone that would like to join or has experience riding camping in MNP please chime in.

Mojave Mutt screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 05:27 AM
Mojave Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,653
I'm going to watch this thread.

I have camped at Mid Hills. Pit toilets, tables and fire rings only. The non burned part is quite nice (I haven't been there for three years, there may be some regeneration)

I work the exact same schedule you do and may be interested, BUT off road I ride a Ural and no way will I be able to keep up with an experienced rider on a dirt bike. No single track for me either.

If there is some noob interest, I may be in.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
lightninquick
Hides from his wife.

Oddometer: 92
10/5-10/6 are no go's for me. The few days leading up to Halloween are also no go's. Nov 6th is my wife's birthday, so I need a few days notice to pull that day off.

All my girls have birthdays in that 30 day stretch, but I got to go on this ride!
lightninquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninquick View Post
Nov 6th is my wife's birthday
Funny... mine too.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,711
MNP in October is outstanding. Just finished rebuilding my 2T 250. I got a 3 gallon tank on it, but don't know (yet) if I got enough fuel range for that area.

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 458
MNP camp & ride

I would be in for Veteran's day weekend.
November 8-11

Thanks for putting this together MM.

I haven't been on a good ride/camp since before summer.
KTM 450 XC-W
Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Mojave Mutt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm in northern Nevada for my sons race tomorrow. More discussion when I return home Monday
Keep in mind park service has strict enforcement of street legal Bike set ups and ther will be no single track. Just road and maybe wash exploring
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Will there be a hill climbing contest?
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
Pics from Mid Hills campground about 2 years ago. The camp ground has water and outhouses. Better than Hole in the wall IMO.

Some camp sites are a little bare.

A few old videos from the area:

I would like to get back out there this year.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 458
Thumb Awesome videos

Looks like a great place to explore!!

Really looking forward to this now.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,653
Veterans day weekend is sounding pretty good.

I must have missed the water the couple of times I've camped there. Last time was with 3 teenage girls doing the Movave Road. They would probably still be pissed if I told them there was water there

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Mojave Mutt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, back from the enduro at Toulon Nevada. Long day yesterday, up at 5 am in Lovelock Nevada, pack up truck at motel, head to race site 15 miles west on HWY 80. Pretty killer 100 mile enduro, my son loved it. The route schedule allowed a early finish to the race, so we decided to tough it out and drove 500 miles home. Got home at 10 pm not so bad.

Right now looks like veterans weekend is probably a no go. In discussions with my son on the drive home yesterday he informed me that the last round of the WesChec Enduro series he's competing in is that weekend in Stoneyford, northern Calif. If he doesn't go with another group of racers, i'll be making the trip with him. I don't want to plan this ride then have to back out when I get the call to go to the enduro. Looks like an October MNP trip for me. I'll have to figure out a date that works in the next couple days.

Randy, thanks for the pics and vids, just the ride and scenery i'm looking for.

Mr G, be great to have you along but keep in mind I wont be planning routes or pace based on the capability of the Ural. Youre pretty much on your own in that department. My group will be 2 wheels only, smaller bikes.

All others, 100 mile fuel range is probably best. We can plan some routes around possible fuel stops at hwy 15 or 40, but not sure if thats going to be needed yet. I won't be doing any 200 mile days, want to keep it simple and be back to camp a couple hours before dark each day.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,195
Subscribed...a definite maybe. Awaiting date(s).

I've been wanting to explore the area, more interested in a camp and ride that a ride across the state and back. Just go see the best parts, eh?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
Mojave Mutt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I still want to do this trip but have to reschedule . I'll be traveling to Stoneyford Ca. for an enduro with my son Veterans day weekend so that date is out. Next available weekend for me would be weekend before Thanksgiving, Nov 21-24. After Thanksgiving I'm pretty open, and I also have two weeks off during Christmas holidays. Mid Hills will be pretty cold for tent camipng once winter hits but we can find plenty of other spots at lower elevation.

Any still interested please chime in and will work out a date and move this trip forward. Lots of great easy riding out there with spectacular views and exploration opportunities.

Glenn

Mojave Mutt screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 01:04 PM
Mojave Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
TemeculaTim
Timeteo Viejo

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Mutt View Post
I still want to do this trip but have to reschedule . I'll be traveling to Stoneyford Ca. for an enduro with my son Veterans day weekend so that date is out. Next available weend for me would be weekend before Thanksgiving, Nov 21-24. After Thanksgiving I'm pretty open, and I also have two weeks off during Christmas holidays. Mid Hills will be pretty cold for tent camipng once winter hits but we can find plenty of other spots at lower elevation.

Any still interested please chime in and will work out a date and move this trip forward. Lots of great easy riding out there with spectacular views and exploration opportunities.

Glenn
Im interested- I would be riding a plated CRF450. Camping at Mid-Hills as a base camp is a great idea. There is also Joshua Tree to the South , or the Calico Area to the North.
TemeculaTim is offline   Reply With Quote