Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
stovepipe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I left my crashed my KLR in Cusco, Peru. Advice?

Hey gang,

I could use some advice. I'm from the States, and got hit in Peru. Here are the details.

I was heading out of Cusco when a car pulled out in front of me and took me out. It was entirely their fault. The front end of the bike (at least) is destroyed. The car was totalled. I got off light with a shattered ankle. I flew back to California for surgery and left my trusty 2001 KLR behind. It had been a wonderful 8 months ride.

So I got through surgery and all is going well with the recovery. The downside is, while doing that, my SUNAT temporary (Peruvian) title expired. So now I am facing some fees for that. I don't intend on going back to fix the bike. So here are the questions.... 1) has anyone just left a bike behind and not done any local Peruvian paperwork to clean things up?
2) If that is the route I take, do you think I would be able to ride into Peru in the future on another bike, do you think Customs would allow it?
3) How well are Immigration and Customs linked? Do you think I would be able to travel in Peru in the future and not have any flags go off when I enter the country?
4) Anyone in Cusco want some KLR parts? If so, perhaps you could help me by being my representative in freeing the bike? It is currently stored at a Comisaria/ Police Station.

Thanks for any and all advice. Apologies for a lack of ride report, but I have a blog here:
osoenmoto.blogspot.com
FB page here:
https://www.facebook.com/bearonamotorbike

Now that I am out of the painkiller fog, I'm going to get to writing some more.
Cheers-
stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
some interesting reading here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845958 see post #43

you may need to return to Peru to properly clear up the paperwork regarding the TVIP on your KLR. There are provisions in place for such instances, and it is possible to get it done, even if it has expired. I think if you just leave it, you will have problems trying to bring another bike in later. If you arrive as a backpacker, you may be ok, but who knows if they will dig up the outstanding unpaid fees on the computer. Others may chime in with more accurate info.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 05:57 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovepipe View Post
Hey gang,

I could use some advice. I'm from the States, and got hit in Peru. Here are the details.

I was heading out of Cusco when a car pulled out in front of me and took me out. It was entirely their fault. The front end of the bike (at least) is destroyed. The car was totalled. I got off light with a shattered ankle. I flew back to California for surgery and left my trusty 2001 KLR behind. It had been a wonderful 8 months ride.

So I got through surgery and all is going well with the recovery. The downside is, while doing that, my SUNAT temporary (Peruvian) title expired. So now I am facing some fees for that. I don't intend on going back to fix the bike. So here are the questions.... 1) has anyone just left a bike behind and not done any local Peruvian paperwork to clean things up?
2) If that is the route I take, do you think I would be able to ride into Peru in the future on another bike, do you think Customs would allow it?
3) How well are Immigration and Customs linked? Do you think I would be able to travel in Peru in the future and not have any flags go off when I enter the country?
4) Anyone in Cusco want some KLR parts? If so, perhaps you could help me by being my representative in freeing the bike? It is currently stored at a Comisaria/ Police Station.

Thanks for any and all advice. Apologies for a lack of ride report, but I have a blog here:
osoenmoto.blogspot.com
FB page here:
https://www.facebook.com/bearonamotorbike

Now that I am out of the painkiller fog, I'm going to get to writing some more.
Cheers-
dude, i feel your pain. literally. same thing happened to me in nicaragua in 2012. my bike was fine, but i was left with a fucked up right ankle. do some hardcore PT.

i can't help much with the bike issue, but i'd advise to check the US embassy's website for attorneys there and perhaps consult with one.

heal well my friend!
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
I would contact the Peruvian consulate in San Francisco and ask them.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,612
If all else fails just pay the fee for not cancelling your TVIP.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
stovepipe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Thanks all

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes guys. Hoping to be weight bearing and start PT in a week or so. I'll let you all know how the bike stuff pans out.

cheers
stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Cry Cusco exit was my last crash also.

Sorry for you pain physical and bureaucratic.

My last crash was coming down from Cusco after Machu Picchu sliding on golf ball gravel where pavement began on my left side. My body recovered on it's painful own over a few months of riding home. Bike carries the scars proudly.

I was lucky it was my right leg (fibula) that broke on the way south in Chiapas Mexico. I was able to set it myself and continue from the US to San Blas in under 11 days. The right leg just rested on the peg to heal while favoring my front brake 10+ hours a day. :) I just didn't want that 48 to 50,000 mile trip from driveway to driveway to end in the first week.

I can't argue with the Peruvian lawyer idea but try to get one recommended by someone.

I think finding a super good native spanish speaking friend to call both the folks where your bike is resting and the aduana or customs people in Peru might help. Say it was wrecked and only scrap metal now and hope the police that have it might dispose of it without import problems?

Hoping you return to South America motorcycle riding. Brasil is a must!
Best of luck, Jay o*o