User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
ennove OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
XS1100 or 2010 ural (aust)

Well, finally I find a reason to make my first post. Have been looking and thinking about getting a secondary bike to take a passenger on short sunday rides to a longer weekend or week trip. Had a look at almost everything from a w800 to the harley sportster and a moto guzzi bellagio (just to mix things up) Decided against a normal two wheeler as I'm a pack for any and every eventuality and there is only so much a pannier can carry. I'm also vertically challenged so no sport touring bikes were short listed. I knew about the urals and had been thinking about getting a sidecar but there aren't many around melbourne so what I know is from the internet and pretty pictures. There are two sidecars I'm thinking about, but I have no idea which would be a more appropriate acquisition.

First up, a used 2010 ural T with all the farkles and 40000km. Description as follows
Squib, who is a black Tourist model from December 2010 has the following options fitted:
Sidecar mounted spotlight
Ten litre steel jerry can and carrier
Steel toolbox using the same mounting carrier as the jerry can
Sidecar mudguard mounted carry rack
Full leather sidecar seat (LX model larger and more well padded)
Sidecar liners.
Other fitted extras include:
Left hand side battery cover
Metal Ural tank and sidecar badges
Stainless steel sidecar wheel cap
European spec right hand switch block (you can turn the lights off)
Stainless steel replica sidecar luggage rack
Larger, more grippy aluminium sidecar step plate
Triumph metal chromed rear view mirrors
Barkbuster storm hand protectors
A round all metal adjustable reverse light.
Squib has travelled 40,000klms and is fully serviced. All tyres fitted are Heidenau, the rear and spare being brand new.

There is also a 1978 XS1100 sidecar on ebay, 75000km description as follows
A professionally built sidecar outfit, The engine was rebuilt to NEW condition some years ago ( I know , I did it) with 1200 Wiseco kit. Not a whole lot of use since then. Brilliant leading link front fork with floating calipers, small amount of dive built in. Steel front guard The sidecar is really rigidly attached. It steers somewhat like a gokart. Where you look, you go. Its has 16" front wheel and 15" Michelin car tyre on the back. This is a proper, fast , good handling , great braking outfit. It has a 13ltr extra tank in the boot with an electric pump. It has Koni's all round. I fitted a Honda CB900 copy front fairing. Guzzi horns. I fitted a larger rear master cylinder (from the XS750) plus a small disc and caliper to the 10" alloy sidecar wheel. The rear brakes are coupled. Using all brakes together results in your A/C joints meeting your scapula. It will really stop. It has had very little use in the past 7 or 8 years. The red paint is very good. The black paint is a little tatty. I have to fit a new Master cylinder kit which is on it's way here. Otherwise it is roadworthy. The outfit is still registered for a month or so. You can't test ride it unless you are a skilled outfit pilot or have one with you. It is powerful and quick. Happy bidding. It is here to sell!. The Yamaha is advertised all over and if I have to remove it I will...Reason for sale?
old age and stiffness!

The dilemma is if I should take the plunge on the XS (it looks gorgeous too). I have no experience with sidecars and my few years of riding motorcycles won't help either. I'm not afraid to get wrenching and greasy, but both bikes would have similar issues. The ural will have something that needs fixing but parts wouldn't be hard to get. The XS could be running till the ends of time but if something were to fail, parts won't be easy to get. Tyres on ural would be carried and replaced on the go. On the XS, repairs would be to plug it and hope the next tyre shop has the sizes in stock. The XS wouldn't have any problems keeping up with traffic but I was already willing to take the back roads and travel slower with the ural.

What say you? Opinions are of course welcome, especially the 'just get the bike and ride it'
ennove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
UralNorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I can't help you decide which bike to buy.
I know Urals, and I know Squib well. Squib is, in my opinion, the best value 2nd hand Ural ever to hit the Aussie market. I keep thinking I should buy it because it's such a bargain, but I don't need two. It's better than new, and the owner takes pride in maintaining it at exceptional levels.
It did a round Australia ride last year, and it's been put back to pristine condition. With 40,000km travelled it's just fully run in.
Only you can decide whether you want to live with a Ural. If you do, and you don't want a new one, Squib is the bike to buy.
Here in Oz, Urals are fine on all roads and highways. Thete is no special reason to keep to back roads, except for fun. I'm in Adelaide and about to head off on my 11th trip to the east coast. The only roads I try to avoid ate the Hume Highway and toll roads because they are so boring.

UralNorm screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 04:23 AM
UralNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,099
Is the Ural owner asking a reasonable price?
I'm thinking the Ural would be easier to sell if you find that you do not care for sidecars.
Plus the Ural has reverse.
You seem to know the Ural's high speed performance disadvantage.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,079
My 2 cents worth. I've never ridden a Ural so I can't make an informed comment however based on what others have said is that whilst there is nothing really wrong with them they are slow and I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting on 90 kph hour after hour, having said that if that's your thing then great.

Now I can comment on the XS. The XS has an abundance of power and will quite happily sit on 120 all day long. The only major problem you will have with it is 2nd gear. If it's gone, good luck trying to find a new 2nd gear. Again based on comments from Ural owners it would appear (from my perception anyway) that the XS will be far more reliable. Parts for the XS would probably be easier to get and quicker (again just my opinion).

What price is the XS going for? It sounds like a well set up outfit.

Having said all of that if you can take a test ride on someone's outfit before buying that would be the way to go as outfits are not for everyone.

I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to save you some money.

I'm not bashing Urals I'm just passing on my limited knowledge of them.

At the end of the day all outfits are great fun (providing they have been set up well).

Hope this helps (Ural owners please be gentle, I bruise easy)

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,509
Going by your user name and short stature ... are you a woman ?

Getting the XS stuck somewhere where you will need to push it backwards uphill will make you wish for the reverse gear of the ural.

Being stuck behind the bowling hat on the parcel shelf of the car in front of you on a lovely winding road will make you wish for the power and speed of the XS.

You're an adult , pay your money and pick your poison.

... and welcome to the asylum.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
ennove OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UralNorm View Post
I can't help you decide which bike to buy.
I know Urals, and I know Squib well. Squib is, in my opinion, the best value 2nd hand Ural ever to hit the Ausdie market. I keep thinking I should buy it because it's such a bargain, but I don't need two. It's better than new, and the owner takes pride in maintaining it at exceptional levels.
It did a round Australia ride last year, and it's been put back to pristine condition. With 40,000km travelled it's just fully run in.
Only you can decide whether you want to live with a Ural. If you do, and you don't want a new one, Squib is the bike to buy.
Here in Oz, Urals are fine on all roads and highways. Thete is no special reason to keep to back roads, except for fun. I'm in Adelaide and about to head off on my 11th trip to the east coast. The only roads I try to avoid ate the Hume Highway and toll roads because they are so boring.
You wouldn't be the same norm on urals in Australia? The freeways are boring but great if you're in a comfy car and need to be somewhere by a certain time.
No reverse on the XS but being $7k to $9k cheaper than the ural, it's harder to justify the ural. On the other hand, the engine rebuild for the XS was done when the transmission had to be fixed. I think it's time I made a pro/con list.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
ennove OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
My 2 cents worth. I've never ridden a Ural so I can't make an informed comment however based on what others have said is that whilst there is nothing really wrong with them they are slow and I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting on 90 kph hour after hour, having said that if that's your thing then great.

Now I can comment on the XS. The XS has an abundance of power and will quite happily sit on 120 all day long. The only major problem you will have with it is 2nd gear. If it's gone, good luck trying to find a new 2nd gear. Again based on comments from Ural owners it would appear (from my perception anyway) that the XS will be far more reliable. Parts for the XS would probably be easier to get and quicker (again just my opinion).

What price is the XS going for? It sounds like a well set up outfit.

Having said all of that if you can take a test ride on someone's outfit before buying that would be the way to go as outfits are not for everyone.

I'm not trying to put you off, just trying to save you some money.

I'm not bashing Urals I'm just passing on my limited knowledge of them.

At the end of the day all outfits are great fun (providing they have been set up well).

Hope this helps (Ural owners please be gentle, I bruise easy)

3legs
Could be anywhere between $4-5k. I asked the seller about the engine rebuild, his reply was it was done when he replaced the 1st and 2nd gears and undercut to stop jumping out. He said it hasn't had any problems since then.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
ennove OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Going by your user name and short stature ... are you a woman ?

Getting the XS stuck somewhere where you will need to push it backwards uphill will make you wish for the reverse gear of the ural.

Being stuck behind the bowling hat on the parcel shelf of the car in front of you on a lovely winding road will make you wish for the power and speed of the XS.

You're an adult , pay your money and pick your poison.

... and welcome to the asylum.

Yes I am of the female persuasion. I overthink, over analyse, and then say "Fark it, I'm going to do it" then I change my mind in a week....
Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
UralNorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
3legs, your comments about Urals are close to the mark, except the bit about parts and after sales support.
Once the Ural bug bites there is no remedy, and sitting on speeds between 85km and 95km become a joy rather than a hinderance.
Other outfits are able to travel faster; Ural riders are more interested in fun than making good time.
Jon Taylor has an extensive parts holdings for the 2008 and later bikes, and his service is outstanding, and then there are lots of suppliers in the USA and Europe.
My bike has travelled just over 100,000km since Dec 2009, so I have fully succumbed to the Ural disease.
UralNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,079
Fair enough Uralnorm. I stand corrected. I have a K1100 outfit and have tried to sit on 100 kph when out in the sticks but just want to slit my wrists due to boredom although the local wildlife makes it interesting at 130kph Mind you once I hit the dirt 80-90 kph is just fine (I've had enough of hitting bulldust holes at speeds higher than that).

3legs

Ps: If you intend to buy the XS make sure you take it for a ride to check 2nd gear (obvious I know). Give it a good thrashing in first gear and try to change into second quickly. If it doesn't jump out of gear it should be good. How do I know? I've owned one with a dead 2nd gear.
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
ennove OP
Adventurer

Ah the need for speed. Missus drives a Mitsubishi mirage which can barely keep up when drag racing a 50cc scooter with two people let alone my vfr. Doesn't help I silently judge her driving. There's also reports of ural speedos showing 160km/h when actually at 85...
Had a look at electric caravan motors, besides mounting and clearance issues, new units are around $3k. Alt option, a big stick with a rubber end and tell the passenger to start pushing backwards?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennove View Post
Yes I am of the female persuasion. I overthink, over analyse, and then say "Fark it, I'm going to do it" then I change my mind in a week....

Then you'll fit right in with most of the blokes here

Quote:
Had a look at electric caravan motors, besides mounting and clearance issues, new units are around $3k. Alt option, a big stick with a rubber end and tell the passenger to start pushing backwards?

That's what passengers are for ... pushing and opening gates

... I've got no mates so I had to buy a winch

Old 10-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
What say you? Opinions are of course welcome, especially the 'just get the bike and ride it'
Squib!

What does your gut say?

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
You are thinking in a fun direction

What ever unit you go w/ you should be headed into FUN.
I'm also thinking you'd get a lot of help from ADV w/ most any issues.
Have found sidecar folks seem to go an extra mile or km for their buds.

Best of luck to you & yours
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
ennove OP
Adventurer

Built in reverse is a definite ++++++++ I'm thinking of taking a trip up and take the sidecar course if I can't get a test ride in melbourne. If I miss out on squib, it's not the end of the world. EFI urals are just round the corner anyway. All right, time to focus on work so no more sidecar fantasies