User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #286
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
American girl Down Under- Exploring Oz on a 250cc Super Sherpa

After leaving Panama I pretty much cruised through Costa Rica. It's pretty, and very green, but too damn expensive and touristic. Hard to get away from the gringo trail there. I did have 2 lovely nights with my oldest of childhood friends. Their mother, who has known me almost my whole life, now lives near San Jose. I was also able to unload some things I no longer needed, like my down sleeping bag and armored pants. Still have my Kevlar jeans with me, but it's gotten ridiculously hot.

Then it was party central, after a shitty boarder crossing into Nicaragua. Forked out cold hard cash half a dozen times for various taxes, insurance, road maintenance fees, fumigating my tires, etc etc. Everyone had to do it, including locals.

Party towns aren't my thing, but San Juan del Sur was surprisingly nice and quaint.

Next up: isle of Ometepe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travelbugblues screwed with this post 07-04-2014 at 11:40 AM
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #287
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Only cost about $5 for me and bike:

Two big volcanoes on this island.

It's been fairly rainy here, so heading for Granada soon.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #288
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #289
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Granada, Nicaragua! A lovely old colonial city, actually the oldest in all the Americas. Beautiful architecture and colors.

Passion fruit with Flor de Cana rum. Amazing.

Street food. A perk, or actually one of the best reasons to travel?

A fellow traveler shares his donut.

And beer!

Leon, Nicaragua

Nicknamed them "The Mamas".

Why?!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #290
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Great photos. Looks really nice.
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #291
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Very much enjoying your trip report and pics. Keep it up!
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #292
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nicaragua to El Salvador

Honduras: The 2014's "most dangerous, murderous and violent country in the world". I wasn't too worried, but did feel better having a passenger with me for this leg, a Finnish traveler and motorcyclist. We crossed southern Honduras in just two short riding days, and I was surprised at how pretty the countryside was. I was also surprised at how reserved and even cold the people were. Very different from the countries surrounding it. It didn't make me feel too safe, or welcome.

Entering into El Salvador was a stark contrast. The natural beauty was even more pronounced, and the people were incredibly friendly and talkative. Within the first half an hour I was chatting with local teens and mothers, their warm and friendly nature spilling out. I loved it instantly.

After a night in Alegria, a gorgeous mountain town with no other tourists in sight, we rode out on the CA2 to some of the beaches just west of Puerto La Libertad. The family of an old student owns a fabulous 5 bedroom beach house there with a pool, and invited me to use it for as long as I liked. The caretakers on site were waiting and ready, the pool freshly cleaned, hammocks hanging and ready to be lounged in.

I wrote this quick journal entry while there:

The first evening we rode to town for provisions, in Sonsonate. We left too late, knowing it wasn't a good idea, but in serious need of snacks. Lots of people, grocery stores just like in the States, fancy cars. So much selection! Fruits and veggies! Chocolates! Peanut butter! Bread! Cereal and SOY MILK! Clean sparkling isles stocked with everything. We wandered the isles for too long, and night quickly fell. My stomach has been messed up, and I ran around frantically, half crazed in my blue scrubs with their thick pink drawstring, trying to find a bathroom. I felt lucky this was only the second illness of my entire trip. The bathroom was outside the grocery store, across the mall that could have been located in any US town. I scooted as fast as I could, tripping on the XL doctor pants someone had given me, hurriedly asking people to point the way. The only difference between this bathroom and a US bathroom: just one roll of toilet paper outside the stalls, I had to bunch up as much as I politely could as fast as I could. Ah, the glories of travel and then sharing with strangers on the internet. But, this is a pretty big part of an authentic 3rd world travel experience, after all.

We went across the street to a popular Pupusa joint, the aroma of fat fried and stuffed tortillas making my stomach churn uncomfortably. I had hardly eaten in two days, and wasn't about to start.. We sat around, I watched the Finn eat, and we finally got on the bike, eggs strapped to the back, a full backpack slung over Jaakko’s chest, resting on the tank, so that I didn't have to deal with it, in my "condition". 10 minutes into the ride I heard something from behind, followed by the sound of the 30 eggs hitting the highway. The Finn was not pleased as I laughed uncontrollably. I don’t know why it was so funny, but I shook with laughter for the next few minutes. It was, after all, the only real food we had purchased. The rest of the bag was stuffed with cookies, more cookies, crackers, chips, coca cola for him, wine for me, chocolate bars, and a stick of butter and cheese. Milk spilled from the bottom of the bag into Jaakko’s lap. He cursed the whole evening while I laughed more uncontrollably.

We rode 25 minutes back to ‘the compound’, wondering what the hell we were doing out so late (8pm), in a country we knew wasn’t safe. M18 gang graffiti dotted buildings here and there. No one was on the roads anymore. We were all alone. Just two hours before there had been people everywhere. We rolled through the gate to find Lazarro, a caretaker, standing outside with a large flashlight. “Ah, I was so worried! It’s very dangerous here, especially for motorcyclists. You should never ride at night! Banditos are everywhere on the roads!” He continued in this vein for some time, chastising us for our stupidity. Mom is never to know about that evening... Or not until I return home safely at least...

Travelbugblues screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 02:33 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #293
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,464
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #294
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Beach and pool time. A much needed vacation from the travels!

"Provisions"! After eating rice, beans and eggs, Oreos and crackers was a nice change!

Local beer of El Salvador. No, I wasn't drinking and riding. Just using my bike as a seat!

Town of Alegría ('Happiness')

Old 07-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #295
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 159
Not drinking and driving

Careful. Over here, having your keys in the ignition indicates your intention to drive and you can still be done for DUI, even if you're asleep on the back seat.

Love the report. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #296
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 07-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #297
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,464
La buena vida!
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #298
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Heading for Antigua, Guatemala this morning. Only two more countries to go before I'm back in the States. Can't believe it! Almost 25,000km down.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #299
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 391
Enjoying the report! Are you able to import that bike to the US? What kind of adventure will you undertake once this one has concluded?

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #300
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,321
Been enjoying your RR since the beginning.
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote