Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #46
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
Thanks mate PM sent so as to not hijack this thread or if your interested Ill post it up Travelbugblues ? great name BTW

Post away! I need all the details I can get.
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #47
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,389
Good stuff! Anybody who doubts that a Super Sherpa is a potent adventure travel weapon clearly hasn't been paying attention.

My girlfriend Rosie's one went all over NZ & saw a good chunk of the Oz outback too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
Thanks Zoro! I've heard that from so many people now that I guess I should heed the warnings... I was hoping to head up to Darwin in February and ship my bike to East Timor/Indonesia, but everyone says to wait! Guess I'll have to kill some time in NZ or Tasmania instead :) Oh darn!
If you make it to NZ get in touch, we always enjoy hosting motorcycle travelers.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #48
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven't Ben There View Post
Travelbugblues, I am really enjoying your RR. Do not worry about all the nay sayers, I had some tell me my 650 nighthawk was to small to do a road trip on. I have learned here and a couple other places it is the rider much more than the bike. Enjoy your adventure and congrats on learning to do your own maintenance. It is very rewarding to know you can do things yourself. And thank you for being willing to teach our next generation, you will have some awesome stories to tell them. Take care and ride safe.
Thanks! I still have a ways to go to feel really competent with motorcycle maintenance, but I'll get there. I'll admit it's a little daunting... Before suddenly and out of the blue deciding to get a motorcycle at 27, when starting my masters degree (just for 3 months mom and dad, I swear!!!), I had zero inclination towards mechanics. How things change!

The quantity of people who ask how I'm able to afford to travel so consistently on my teacher salary (and own a big place in Seattle, a motorcycle or two, and have paid off $30,000 in one year to my masters degree) is amazing. In light of this conversation, I'll post my all-time favorite financial guru, Mr. Money Mustache!

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

He's pretty extreme for a lot of people, but if you listen to just half of what he says, most people will be in a much better place to really do what they want.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #49
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Good stuff! Anybody who doubts that a Super Sherpa is a potent adventure travel weapon clearly hasn't been paying attention.

My girlfriend Rosie's one went all over NZ & saw a good chunk of the Oz outback too!

If you make it to NZ get in touch, we always enjoy hosting motorcycle travelers.

Cheers
Clint
Thanks Clint! I'm actually trying to find a motorcycle swap in NZ so I don't have to ship my own. I'll be there in January, I think. Maybe February. I love meeting other women riders- there should be more!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #50
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Shane, the Stuart Hwy can get cut off in a few spots, Katherine river has a tendency to block things off occasionally that time of year.
I guarantee it will be hosing down up here in Feb.
Barkley Hwy can also run over the road and create issues.
99% of Kakadu will be closed, lots of good riding in there. Coppers usually place road closed/ warning signs and if you get caught going through them you will be fined.
If you did get through it might take another couple of hrs of decent rain and you could find yourself stuck for a week with 2-3 days worth of food/ clean water.

Travelbugblues, I would be hanging around in the south for as much of our Summer as you can, Tassy would be a perfect
place to go and explore this time of year.

I could definitely use some advice for when to go where. The plan was to head to Asia for my 30th birthday in Feb, and then possibly to Europe from there. It looks like I may just stick around Oz, NZ and Tassie instead, but in case I don't, I need to plan to be in the different hemispheres at the right time. Europe by August. Thoughts?? I'm not terribly familiar with the weather of Southeast Asia.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Tbblues, best time to be up here (NT) for riding/ exploring would be in May, April at the earliest till end of Sept (approx).

I'm not completely up to speed with SEAsia unfortunately, the conditions would be much the same as here which would taper off the further north you got away from the equator.

Currently at the moment we're receiving our regular afternoon storms, so not too bad yet however our weather patterns this year (El Nino & La Nina) are non existant/ neutral. We have not experienced this in quite a few years, current expectations are for this to be a big wet season, certainly shaping up that way as we dont usually see the rain this early into the season.
However, it is weather and anything can happen and most likely will. Gut feeling says lots of water this year and possibly a decent cyclone or two, we'll have to wait and see...

If you did decide to come up during the wet, I'm sure you'd still enjoy yourself. Everything new/ different. time flying past, it'll be over before you know it. You'll get to experience a Monsoonal environment.

I will suggest you go one place in Australia while you're here, my favourite place to go, Daintree National park (World Heritage Listed). Its located north of Port Douglas/ Cairns area. Its where the rainforest meets the beach, beautiful place and I would live there if I could continue to do the job that I do now. So much to see and do and very close to some great riding also.
See-
http://www.daintreerainforest.net.au/

This is a fun place to stay, especially for international tourists travelling alone. They have game nights to get everybody together and mingle. By the end of the night everyone knows everyone, just a great freindly atmosphere and relatively cheap (used to be) see-
http://pksjunglevillage.com.au/

Advantage of getting north will be to acclimatise and prepare yourself for SE Asia also. Apart from the main roads leading up here getting cut off from rain you could still stick with your plan of being in Asia for your 30th. The main roads/ highway doesn't get cut off for long of it does flood over anyway.
Disadvantage will be you dont get to see the riding that's on offer in the NT and explore the different areas.

Only thing stopping you from getting to Asia from here will be a cyclone, they dont usually last too long anyway.

Failing that you could have your 30th here.....

zoro screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 08:59 PM
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #52
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Elisa, I'd love a technical look at what gear you're carrying and how you are packing it if you ever get a chance.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #53
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Woot another Sherpa thread .... Starting to read it now

Keep having fun and dont let the sherpa nap on ya to much . The good thing about a sherpa is its easy to wake up from a nap .

Im a heavy guy and love riding around on mine , I doubt I ever get rid of it

If you havnt look up Jdowns Ride reports, do so .

ETA just saw he dropped in .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 09:29 PM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #54
twowheelphoenix
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Keep going - Most guys are great.

Keep it up. Really enjoyed your post. 'm a woman too and took off to travel all lower 48 and all of Canada in 1979 w/ a tent by myself on my bike when there were no cellphones nor internet and have never stopped travelling. There were and have always been naysayers - but most guys are a blast to have as riding buds and friends when they know you just wanna ride. Great pics! Post more!
twowheelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #55
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,321
keep posting the cool photos
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #56
PeasantFarmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Elisa, it looks like you caught up with Thommo - good bloke, passionate about bikes and a bit of a genius.

Let us know if you're heading through SA at all, at a guess I'd say you'd enjoy the Flinders Ranges.

Have fun.
PeasantFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #57
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Glad you are posting!

We fired messages back and forth on Horizons a few times about a month ago. I'm hoping we can meet up somewhere in Asia. Your blog is great and I'm looking forward to this RR.

shiny-side up
Noah
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #58
pinko123
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Gday Cobber

I love your blog and am glad to hear you took the ferry to the peninsula, did you see the seals as you crossed.
my trip home from Cavendish was via Lake Boga Catalina base and then spent the night at Echuca and then home to near Orange by 6.30 monday night.
regards
Darren
pinko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #59
Maggno
Ride hard...

Oddometer: 273
Go the 250. Great to see.
20 Parties and 132 days around the world
Maggno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #60
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gear...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Elisa, I'd love a technical look at what gear you're carrying and how you are packing it if you ever get a chance.

Oh boy- great question, but I might disappoint you! I'm a bit of a minimalist in some respects and generally slightly under-prepared in others... I tend to not plan too much, and I enjoy figuring things out along the way. Some of my best memories of travels are of being stuck and meeting locals willing to help. If I were going somewhere really remote like the Gobi, I'd have better tools and spare parts. Then again, I did experience a breakdown in a van in extremely rural Mongolia some years ago and had some random part arrive in another van from Ulaan Bataar the very next day! It seems that in most places, people are willing to help. For this part of Oz, it just isn't necessary and I left things like spare tubes out for now. Honestly, I don't think I could change my own tire (yet) if I needed to, although I know how in theory.

Let's see... Here's the bike fully loaded the day before I left.

-Small first aid kit above front tire in case I get a scratch! Has one good wrap in it, but mostly things for fairly minor wounds. There are some small and large zip ties too, which can be used in wilderness first aid emergencies.

-TCI touring windscreen (because I freeze everywhere I go), and Denali Rack with VERY cheap fabric panniers ($70) that won't last long, but long enough to get me out the door at least. Too many people just wait around until all the stars are aligned just right instead of taking the bull by the horns and leaving. When the panniers fall off the bike, I'll look into getting better ones. I'm definitely learning what gear to spend money on, and what cheap stuff I can get away with. I did re-waterproof the bags and lined them with black garbage bags just for a little extra class :)

-Tank bag that is expandable for all my daily needs Sometimes it's open all the way so I don't have to cram too much, but I generally like it at half-size. Wallet, cellphone, chargers, toiletries bag, random bits and pieces, maps, books: War and Peace, Australia guide, Zen and the Art of Moto Maintenance, journal. Too many books... They make up most of the tank bag.

-Small bag of clothing (think reusable grocery bag size, not including jackets): 3 pairs socks, one evening pants, one yoga pants, one skirt, flipflops and flats, 3 small tank tops, 1 tshirt, 1 merino longsleeve, small running shorts for swimming or sleeping, one hoodie, rain jacket, down jacket that gets stuffed in with my sleepingbag if I'm not wearing it, etc. I wear my kevlar jeans with yoga pants under, plus either the hoodie or the down jacket under my motorcycle jacket. Often I wear the rain jacket too for wind protection, and sometime all my longsleeve layers at once! Like, 6 or 7 top layers some days... plus a scarf... I feel like the Michelin Man, but I get cold really easily, so lots of layers is a must. All clothing, plus a small laptop, fit in one pannier. Here's how I look:

-1 person tent, sleeping bag (in small drybag) and thermarest get strapped just behind where I sit, so I have only a small space between tank bag and camping stuff. This helps my back from getting too sore. I also have a sheepskin seat cover I made, which I use on top of my thermarest for extra warmth (and I've definitely needed it!).

-Bicycle basket is zip tied onto rack, and carries my 5 liter jerry can, two MSR bottles with camp fuel (too much- I only need one as it turns out), chain lube, oil, rag, water bottle, small thermos, small tarp with net on top to keep it down, and jam my extra jackets if it's too hot.

-2nd pannier carries small toolkit, spare bulbs, spark plug, tire patch kit, etc (no tire leavers yet, but will buy some), and too much food: Various spices in double baggie system, white rice as it cooks faster, quinoa, curry paste, can or two of coconut milk (to make red curry), nuts, coffee, oats, maybe some veggies, small italian percolator, one small pot, one teeny tiny frying pan, knife, utensils, Whisperlite camp stove, kitchen odds and ends (I have tons of food because I'm a vegetarian, lactose free and a very healthy eater). In hindsight, it's too much food since I haven't had a problem finding things at grocery stores. However, I do have enough food (or did) to last about a week w/out grocery shopping. For dinner, I make enough for lunch the next day. If I reduced the food to half, I'd have plenty more space for spares/tools.

I recently met a wonderful couple, Rob and Kath, who put on a power outlet for me, for I can charge my GPS and phone along the way!

Another couple, Tommo and Sandra, put on a plastic tube that's designed to hold manuals on farm equipment- I think. It's great for tools, or my thermos

I'm not new to traveling light, so I think it's been pretty easy for me to fit everything I need on the bike. I could easily pack less clothing, too. I don't think most motorcyclists require skirt, flats, and all those jackets :). The bike is pretty full, but my panniers aren't very big either. I could easily fit more stuff with larger ones if I needed more space, and there's still a bit of room in the bicycle basket for a loaf of bread, lunch, or extra tools. The fuel economy has been surprisingly great, even fully loaded.

Travelbugblues screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 06:42 AM