Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #136
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I think there is still interest in road racing, take a trip to indy motogp or Austin, tons of bike racing fans. ...at Daytona
Fans of a spectacle that rarely happens, something to plan a vacation/trip around; I agree 100%. Of actual racing, I'm less sure. If that was the case the AMA stands would have been a lot more crowded because AMA has usually been a lot more racing and less processional than MotoGP. And Dorna wouldn't have to work so hard to handicap WSB compared to MotoGP.

Yeah the organization has been a mess in the US and the machines technically less than MotoGP (but still far beyond the ability of 99% of the detractors to ride competitively); but the racing at the front itself has been pretty good in most races.

At root, the US is just not a roadracing culture. We've had spurts in both cars and bikes, but not commercially successful over the long term. Things can be done to partially offset that to generate a domestic sustainable series, but it won't be easy. And it doesn't seem to be getting done now.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #137
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
I know the Graves riders are getting paid pretty well and I'm sure Cardenas and Hayden at Yosh along with Ulrich's riders are paid. I'm guessing there might be a few more.

The decline isn't just motorcycle road racing. Indycar is a shell of its former self as is sports car racing in the US. Neither seems to be on the road back to where they were ten or even twenty years ago. Although in the case of sports car racing, maybe there is just a lot less marijuana money.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #138
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,510
I also think we've gone back in time to the 70's, horrible purses, promoters taking the bulk of the money(DMG!!!bastards) riders getting a purse that barely pays for their gas for the weekend, and they get to risk their lives for it!!! AMA,DMG, too many people making money from something that doesn't make money, it's not going to last much longer.
it's time for a new sanctioning body to take charge.
roadracing CAN be turned around, a sanctioning body that puts the riders first, the fans second, and then, AND ONLY THEN, do they worry about themselves.
Build it up, the profits will come in due time, but you have to build a solid base and go from there. as of now, the ama is on a quickly melting iceberg!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #139
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Question about Daytona 200 week 2014

That bad huh?
I am getting depressed about all the bad news , haven't been to Daytona since 2006 .Thought that was fair back then , but it sounds like terminal rot is advanced.
I am still debating whether to go this year , next week , as I have a good reason to at least go south for a short week and escape winter again.Seeing some racing- any racing- would be okay.

My question is this - are there any other support road racing events at the Speedway ? things like the vintage clases , or have they already been run this week-- or have all those kinds of races abandoned Daytona long ago? That would not surprise me after learning that similar events are in California this week and the AMA reduced series of events..
The Speedway website is not of much use , it does not mention them ( if they are existing) and they jumble up the schedule with a whole lot of mixed up info about flat track and extraneous garbage about midway events and shows - nothing to do with roadracing interest

I googled on a library computer and found a Speedway schedule for the week but when I typed that exaxt address into the iphone i
the Speedway replies that " the page you have requested no longer exists mon our site "

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 12:56 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #140
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,510
no vintage races anymore, I went the year they re-did the pit area and put up 45 miles of fencing, what a joke. couldn't walk into the garage area anymore, no talking to the riders. The speedway caters only to the car crap now, I really think they hate motorcycles.
it's really a shame, used to be a blast hanging out at the track for the vintage races on Monday and Tuesday, swap meet, bike shows, racing, just all kind of good stuff, plus, it was cheap and laid back.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #141
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Agreed and the manufacturers tents/vendors the whole outside length of the tri-oval. Sad.

Remember the drags at the Deland airport? 20$ for as many runs as you wanted.

me on my 83 GS1100ES

Tbone screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 06:25 AM
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #142
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
I know the Graves riders are getting paid pretty well and I'm sure Cardenas and Hayden at Yosh along with Ulrich's riders are paid. I'm guessing there might be a few more.
Maybe maybe not. How much does Graves pay say Josh or Cameron? Herrin before them?

Riders might have personal sponsors that pay them so they can pay the team. Plus there is the image fees for ads... I don't really know the economics. I have a friend who took a dirt track school this winter and they went to dinner with the instructors. Some were ama road racers you would know. That was their story. Seems hard to believe, but who knows these days.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #143
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 377
The DMG years have proven the NASCAR business model doesn't work for motorbike racing in the US. For American spectators it will never be about "the #23 bike" or "the snickers bike" it's about Jimmy Fastpants on the new Honda factory bike vs Luke Luckypass on the new Factory Yamaha.

You hear lots about how fans just want close racing but what really draws people in is hero worship and brand promotion/competition. If it was only about close racing there would be huge galleries at WERA and other club level events. The only way to get the promotion Road Racing needs is to get the factories back into the series in a big way.

The factories spent huge sums on promoting their rider/team/hospitality tent/trackside activities in addition to the $ and effort that went into the bikes. Yeah, it was an uneven playing field for the small teams but it was the factories that provided and promoted the spectacle. Without them the whole event just feels and looks small.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #144
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
AMA Pro Racing just posted this teaser on their Road Racing and Flat Track Facebook pages. Absolutely no explanation other than a reference to FansChoice.TV coming March 12.

http://www.fanschoice.tv Only has a "coming soon" message.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #145
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #146
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
The DMG years have proven the NASCAR business model doesn't work for motorbike racing in the US. For American spectators it will never be about "the #23 bike" or "the snickers bike"
Not disagreeing with you, but you should read a few pages of the SX thread here recently... True, they include the rider's initials with his number plate, but it is pretty much the same fan dynamic. Even the 'hate' surfaces pretty regularly among those fans that have adopted their rider/number and he's been wronged in their eyes. Or at least hating the bad boys of the sport that have found legs as the 'villain'. Amazing!

Seems to me that SX is steadily moving towards the NASCAR fan formula. Of course, their home run would be if they could somehow grow the fan worship to what Socal 'Speedway' had only a couple decades ago. It was a rare thing in my eyes. Imagine that type of fan engagement across the continent!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #147
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but you should read a few pages of the SX thread here recently... True, they include the rider's initials with his number plate, but it is pretty much the same fan dynamic. Even the 'hate' surfaces pretty regularly among those fans that have adopted their rider/number and he's been wronged in their eyes. Or at least hating the bad boys of the sport that have found legs as the 'villain'. Amazing!

Seems to me that SX is steadily moving towards the NASCAR fan formula. Of course, their home run would be if they could somehow grow the fan worship to what Socal 'Speedway' had only a couple decades ago. It was a rare thing in my eyes. Imagine that type of fan engagement across the continent!
Difference being that the rider carries their own number in SX and it becomes part of the riders personality; Chad Reed 22, Ryan Dungy 5, James Stewart 7, Ricky Carmichael 4, Mike Alessi 800, Ken Roczen 94, etc.

In NASCAR, the teams own the numbers, something they tried to implement in AMADMG, meaning the riders were no longer identifiable by their numbers.

I rarely watch NASCAR, but when I do, I have no idea which driver is in which car anymore. And I don't care about the #20 car, or whatever else, I want to know where the drivers are.

That is one of the most annoying elements to Ralph Sheheen, for me. He doesn't call out the rider names, just the bike #'s much of the time. I can see the # on the bike. I want to know who the rider is.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #148
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 377
Yup. It's instructive to note that when they run those nostalgic pieces about the old races and racers they talk about the personalities and the drivers. Sometimes they mention Chevy or Ford but they never mention the sponsors. Even NASCAR people really don't care.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #149
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
This FansChoice is to not support AMA DMG racing in any form.
Rd650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #150
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd650 View Post
This FansChoice is to not support AMA DMG racing in any form.
There will be way more info on Monday about this. You may perhaps be pleasantly surprised.
B
2009 Kawasaki KLR650
1973 Jawa 350 Californian two stroke twin
Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote