Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #196
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
I dont know how I missed this but DMG and AMA are going to superbikes for the Daytona 200 next year !!
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2014/Mar/140314a.htm
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #197
imintman
FL_atlander

Oddometer: 6
So are they going to run the long course or that stupid short course?
imintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #198
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Short course. More laps. More pit stops. Shows they are still concerned about tires.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #199
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 235
But the banking is the thing that makes the Daytona 200 a distinctive event. Without that it's just an uninteresting 3 hour endurance race...

I do not believe that
nobody can build tyres that will safely & reliably hold together on the banking,..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #200
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwh View Post
But the banking is the thing that makes the Daytona 200 a distinctive event. Without that it's just an uninteresting 3 hour endurance race...

I do not believe that
nobody can build tyres that will safely & reliably hold together on the banking,..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
They will still use the chicane and Nascar three and four which is where the famous drafting battles take place and even the current bikes hit 200mph.

As for the tires, 200mph along with the g forces and heat generated on the banking for extended periods present a challenge for any tire company.

Dunlop is the only company that matters and they claim they can make a tire that will work now. I'm guessing they will force a minimum number of pit stops. Maybe you could contribute some of your tire engineering knowledge?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #201
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,554
Quote:
I do not believe that nobody can build tyres that will safely & reliably hold together on the banking,..
I've read right here on ADV that using a car tire will help a bike get better mileage and handling.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #202
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Quote:
I do not believe that
Maybe they can. But then you'd have a tire that is utterly useless for the rest of the lap, so we'd get a "race" of bikes blasting around the banking and coasting upright through the infield.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #203
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,378
Hmmmmm, very interesting!
http://www.cyclenews.com/646/24199/R...ut-Series.aspx
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #204
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I sort of like the use of the word "Nationals" for each event. It has a nice retro sound to it.

Probably still struggles to get fans, but as JU said, "it is a start". The TV is good because it helps the teams get financed. I am curious if they use AMA spec Dunlops sold trackside, or if the three rounds are open to tire/rider contracts. I read on the website that Dunlop will be there.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #205
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I sort of like the use of the word "Nationals" for each event. It has a nice retro sound to it.

Probably still struggles to get fans, but as JU said, "it is a start". The TV is good because it helps the teams get financed. I am curious if they use AMA spec Dunlops sold trackside, or if the three rounds are open to tire/rider contracts. I read on the website that Dunlop will be there.
I *believe they are racing under current AMA rules and that was a sticking point for all to commit.

What a novelty; they are building prerace hype and excitement by announcing TV months in advance instead of letting people complain right up to the last minute.

If they were really smart, they would make sure the broadcast will go straight to the 'net, also.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #206
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

The are definitely using AMA Pro Racing rules/spec tires and spec fuel. It was part of the agreement to get Graves, Yosh and other big teams on board. Dunlop will be there just like an AMA weekend. The big teams didn't want to have to test new set-ups or line up against privateers on one-off special tires or fuel or engine/chassis spec. Confirmed by Ulrich and the president of the AFM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #207
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
What a novelty; they are building prerace hype and excitement by announcing TV months in advance instead of letting people complain right up to the last minute.
+1 LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
If they were really smart, they would make sure the broadcast will go straight to the 'net, also.
This would be great but likely add cost and cause issues with the providers that carry MAV-TV. I still hope it happens.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #208
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post

This would be great but likely add cost and cause issues with the providers that carry MAV-TV. I still hope it happens.
It doesn't have to be a sanctioned simulcast, just make sure it is being rebroadcast via vipbox, firstrowsports, and let it be posted to youtube.

That is more exposure for sponsors and advertisers all the way 'round.

Personally, I wouldn't know where to find Mav TV.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #209
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
Actually MAVTV is becoming my favorite channel covering every kind of racing like Speed used to do. They now cover many many many different types of motorcycle race events. Beside all the sprint car and offroad truck racing they are now showing world rally events LIVE they also carry boat racing. I believe the owner of Amsol has actually bought the channel and is really stepping it up in all the different kinds of racing coverage.

In fact now that I visit the site it reminds me that they have given Dave Despain a new show !
http://www.mavtv.com/

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #210
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
I believe the owner of Amsol has actually bought the channel and is really stepping it up in all the different kinds of racing coverage.
I thought I heard it was Lucas Oils that bought them? I'm not interested enough to do a Googling on whether Lucas and Amsol are the same company.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote