ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #226
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer
 
stk0308's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: St Charles, MO
Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
I guess now I know what the term "selected events" meant in the AMA Pro Racing press release about FansChoice.TV. There may not be any coverage from Laguna Seca. &$%@!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Yeah, not sure what happened to that coverage!
Word on the internets is the DMG still owes payment to Dorna for broadcast rights from 2 years ago.
__________________
Steven
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #227
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!
 
Motorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Madison, CT
Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Yeah, not sure what happened to that coverage!
I've been yawning my way through AMA Pro Racing YouTube channel coverage this year. One race worth watching so far...Mid-Ohio Race 2 photo finish.

Coverage

Thanks for the link, that was a great finish, but other than that it was pretty depressing. I've been to Mid-Ohio for a number of superbike races in years past and this looks nothing like what I remember.

I realize Saturday was a rainout, but there was no evidence of any crowd. In fact, it seemed like the cameras were specifically aimed so as not to expose the fact that no one was there. The grass bank at the keyhole used to be SRO unless you staked out a spot way early. The hillside at the end of the main straight used to be similarly packed, and the one in thunder valley. Even the permanent stands were empty.

The victory celebration was pitiful. I've seen more people at an amateur victory podium. 15 bikes in the field? If it shrinks any more DMG can spin that as a cost saving measure - it only costs half as much to apply a single number as opposed to two.

If I were Honda, I'd have them cover my signs so as not to be associated with this mess. This is the same series that produced Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Hayden, Spies, Russell, Chandler, Polen, Duhamel, Cooley, Merkel, Shobert, and many others too numerous to mention. What a shame.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #228
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 46,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Thanks for the link, that was a great finish, but other than that it was pretty depressing. I've been to Mid-Ohio for a number of superbike races in years past and this looks nothing like what I remember.

I realize Saturday was a rainout, but there was no evidence of any crowd. In fact, it seemed like the cameras were specifically aimed so as not to expose the fact that no one was there. The grass bank at the keyhole used to be SRO unless you staked out a spot way early. The hillside at the end of the main straight used to be similarly packed, and the one in thunder valley. Even the permanent stands were empty.

The victory celebration was pitiful. I've seen more people at an amateur victory podium. 15 bikes in the field? If it shrinks any more DMG can spin that as a cost saving measure - it only costs half as much to apply a single number as opposed to two.

If I were Honda, I'd have them cover my signs so as not to be associated with this mess. This is the same series that produced Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Hayden, Spies, Russell, Chandler, Polen, Duhamel, Cooley, Merkel, Shobert, and many others too numerous to mention. What a shame.
I'm sure nobody will agree but I think the big fours dumping what amounts to street legal race bikes into the US for all these years plays a big role in the lack of interest in road racing.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #229
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer
 
spezjag's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I'm sure nobody will agree but I think the big fours dumping what amounts to street legal race bikes into the US for all these years plays a big role in the lack of interest in road racing.
Not sure I follow your logic; I would think the more sport bikes on the road, the more interest there would be in how those bikes did on the track (race on Sunday, sell on Monday, etc.).
__________________
Gary

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #230
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Not sure I follow your logic.
He thinks there should be a horsepower limit on motorcycles and that the world wide sales of RR bikes is irresponsible if not criminal .

Oh, and thanks for quoting him so I could have the privilege of reading his thoughts. I've missed them.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #231
bomose
Beastly Adventurer
 
bomose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoover,Al
Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I'm sure nobody will agree but I think the big fours dumping what amounts to street legal race bikes into the US for all these years plays a big role in the lack of interest in road racing.
Then why is the rest of the world attending motorcycle races, since the same bikes are "dumped" on them, too? I don't attend as many as I used to because it's not as interesting as it used to be. The manufacturers have no incentive because they aren't developing product like they used to in this series. They do that in World Superbike now. DMG changed the rules and the manufacturers scaled back. Barbers hardly has any vendors now. Nothing to see except a couple of boring races.
__________________
I prefer a short life with width to a narrow one with length-Avicenna
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810149 Ouray Adv
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800723 Cortez & Moab
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs

bomose screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 06:25 AM
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #232
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 46,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Then why is the rest of the world attending motorcycle races, since the same bikes are "dumped" on them, too?
A few things come to mind.

1. WSB and motoGP aside, is the rest of the world attending a lot of road racing?

2. At least the rest of the world has some pretty sweet alternatives to sport bikes like the GSX 1400 and the FJR 1300 etc. For whatever reason the US has been a dumping ground for sport bikes for years, if you didn't want one of those or a cruiser, you didn't have a lot of options. Why would anyone buy an FZ1 in the US when they can get a track ready R1 for not much more money. And it's the gift that keeps on giving, I saw 2 GSX 1000's on Craigslist last week for 4-5 grand, 10 year old bikes in very good condition.

3. At least in England a young kid can't just get his MC license and immediately ease on down the road on a 1000cc sport bike.

I don't blame the big 4 for taking advantage of what the US foolishly allows, I'm sure it's more profitable for them to just keep dumping higher numbers of what is easier to sell.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #233
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 46,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Not sure I follow your logic; I would think the more sport bikes on the road, the more interest there would be in how those bikes did on the track (race on Sunday, sell on Monday, etc.).
One would think. The sport bike has created a new demograph of rider, most of which in my opinion wouldn't be riding if they didn't have the option of the sport bike. They could care less about road racing and wouldn't know Kenny Roberts if he walked up and knocked on their door.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #234
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!
 
Motorcyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Madison, CT
Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I'm sure nobody will agree but I think the big fours dumping what amounts to street legal race bikes into the US for all these years plays a big role in the lack of interest in road racing.
I think I understand your meaning, and agree to a certain degree. People are more about posing or street racing and customizing their bikes with extended swingarms than all-round handling. I'm not sure many of the kids who buy sport bikes identify with road racing much anymore. Seems to be more stunting, thrill seeking and straight line riding than anything. Back in the day we'd watch road racers to see what was possible with our stock bikes, nowadays, I don't think people pursue performance like they used to. Probably because modern bikes already outperform 99.9% of riders.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #235
kwh
Fat Hairy Git
 
kwh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: SA31, United Kingdom
Oddometer: 241
In answer to the question 'is anybody watching road racing in the rest of the world', this was last weekend's BSB meeting here in the UK... Live TV all day and check out the crowd! http://youtu.be/-C5Ga8p8Uuc
__________________
Ken Haylock
Triumph Trophy 1200 [Winter Rat], Triumph Street Triple R & Triumph TT600
http://www.cix.co.uk/~kwh
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #236
bomose
Beastly Adventurer
 
bomose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoover,Al
Oddometer: 1,120
British superbike seems to be well attended. I believe you can buy an FJR here.
As well as a Concours, Versys, CTX, NC700X, and others.There are plenty of different types of motorcycles to buy. Perhaps it's movies and being young that compels people to buy sport bikes and fast cars. Excitement. That's why I bought a Z1 and not a KZ 650.
__________________
I prefer a short life with width to a narrow one with length-Avicenna
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810149 Ouray Adv
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800723 Cortez & Moab
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #237
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer
 
spezjag's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 8,203
^^ BSB was the example I was thinking of. It is a really well-run series. AMA/DMG could learn a lot by studying their business model.

I would not think there is much of an evidentiary link between the sport bike demographic in this country and how well our national Superbike series is fairing in the aports marketplace.
__________________
Gary

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #238
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence
 
HarveyMushman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 16,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post

I don't blame the big 4 for taking advantage of what the US foolishly allows, I'm sure it's more profitable for them to just keep dumping higher numbers of what is easier to sell.
But aren't sportbike sales down? Waaay down? For years now? Might US roadracing's problem--aside from the plague that is DMG--be not enough new sportbike buyers, rather than too many?
__________________
Tim

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #239
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer
 
DogBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
But aren't sportbike sales down? Waaay down? For years now? Might US roadracing's problem--aside from the plague that is DMG--be not enough new sportbike buyers, rather than too many?
This.
__________________
"I were riding so fast, I were sucking rabbits out of the hedges" IOM TT racer Guy Martin - Thanks to rallybug
DogBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #240
bikerfish
flyfishandride
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: western pa
Oddometer: 1,509
I disagree about the lack of sportbike sales, most of those squids never went to the races anyways, it's always been race fans that attended races, no matter what they rode. Back in the heyday of the ama, late 80's through early 2000's, there used to be a fantastic mix of motorcycles at the track, cruisers, dualsports, sportbikes, beemers, etc.
didn't matter what people rode, they were RACE FANS, simple as that. They also weren't stupid, and when the show got stupid, they simple stopped going to the show. Hell, even in the 70's, fans would flock to the track, and the "sportbike" wasn't even invented yet!!
bring back good racing, bring back the factories, bring back the heros, and the fans will return.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014