Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #226
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
I guess now I know what the term "selected events" meant in the AMA Pro Racing press release about FansChoice.TV. There may not be any coverage from Laguna Seca. &$%@!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Yeah, not sure what happened to that coverage!
Word on the internets is the DMG still owes payment to Dorna for broadcast rights from 2 years ago.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #227
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder View Post
Yeah, not sure what happened to that coverage!
I've been yawning my way through AMA Pro Racing YouTube channel coverage this year. One race worth watching so far...Mid-Ohio Race 2 photo finish.

Coverage

Thanks for the link, that was a great finish, but other than that it was pretty depressing. I've been to Mid-Ohio for a number of superbike races in years past and this looks nothing like what I remember.

I realize Saturday was a rainout, but there was no evidence of any crowd. In fact, it seemed like the cameras were specifically aimed so as not to expose the fact that no one was there. The grass bank at the keyhole used to be SRO unless you staked out a spot way early. The hillside at the end of the main straight used to be similarly packed, and the one in thunder valley. Even the permanent stands were empty.

The victory celebration was pitiful. I've seen more people at an amateur victory podium. 15 bikes in the field? If it shrinks any more DMG can spin that as a cost saving measure - it only costs half as much to apply a single number as opposed to two.

If I were Honda, I'd have them cover my signs so as not to be associated with this mess. This is the same series that produced Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Hayden, Spies, Russell, Chandler, Polen, Duhamel, Cooley, Merkel, Shobert, and many others too numerous to mention. What a shame.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #228
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Thanks for the link, that was a great finish, but other than that it was pretty depressing. I've been to Mid-Ohio for a number of superbike races in years past and this looks nothing like what I remember.

I realize Saturday was a rainout, but there was no evidence of any crowd. In fact, it seemed like the cameras were specifically aimed so as not to expose the fact that no one was there. The grass bank at the keyhole used to be SRO unless you staked out a spot way early. The hillside at the end of the main straight used to be similarly packed, and the one in thunder valley. Even the permanent stands were empty.

The victory celebration was pitiful. I've seen more people at an amateur victory podium. 15 bikes in the field? If it shrinks any more DMG can spin that as a cost saving measure - it only costs half as much to apply a single number as opposed to two.

If I were Honda, I'd have them cover my signs so as not to be associated with this mess. This is the same series that produced Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, Hayden, Spies, Russell, Chandler, Polen, Duhamel, Cooley, Merkel, Shobert, and many others too numerous to mention. What a shame.
I'm sure nobody will agree but I think the big fours dumping what amounts to street legal race bikes into the US for all these years plays a big role in the lack of interest in road racing.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #229
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I'm sure nobody will agree but I think the big fours dumping what amounts to street legal race bikes into the US for all these years plays a big role in the lack of interest in road racing.
Not sure I follow your logic; I would think the more sport bikes on the road, the more interest there would be in how those bikes did on the track (race on Sunday, sell on Monday, etc.).

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #230
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Not sure I follow your logic.
He thinks there should be a horsepower limit on motorcycles and that the world wide sales of RR bikes is irresponsible if not criminal .

Oh, and thanks for quoting him so I could have the privilege of reading his thoughts. I've missed them.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #231
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Then why is the rest of the world attending motorcycle races, since the same bikes are "dumped" on them, too? I don't attend as many as I used to because it's not as interesting as it used to be. The manufacturers have no incentive because they aren't developing product like they used to in this series. They do that in World Superbike now. DMG changed the rules and the manufacturers scaled back. Barbers hardly has any vendors now. Nothing to see except a couple of boring races.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs

bomose screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 06:25 AM
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #232
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Then why is the rest of the world attending motorcycle races, since the same bikes are "dumped" on them, too?
A few things come to mind.

1. WSB and motoGP aside, is the rest of the world attending a lot of road racing?

2. At least the rest of the world has some pretty sweet alternatives to sport bikes like the GSX 1400 and the FJR 1300 etc. For whatever reason the US has been a dumping ground for sport bikes for years, if you didn't want one of those or a cruiser, you didn't have a lot of options. Why would anyone buy an FZ1 in the US when they can get a track ready R1 for not much more money. And it's the gift that keeps on giving, I saw 2 GSX 1000's on Craigslist last week for 4-5 grand, 10 year old bikes in very good condition.

3. At least in England a young kid can't just get his MC license and immediately ease on down the road on a 1000cc sport bike.

I don't blame the big 4 for taking advantage of what the US foolishly allows, I'm sure it's more profitable for them to just keep dumping higher numbers of what is easier to sell.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #233
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Not sure I follow your logic; I would think the more sport bikes on the road, the more interest there would be in how those bikes did on the track (race on Sunday, sell on Monday, etc.).
One would think. The sport bike has created a new demograph of rider, most of which in my opinion wouldn't be riding if they didn't have the option of the sport bike. They could care less about road racing and wouldn't know Kenny Roberts if he walked up and knocked on their door.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #234
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
I think I understand your meaning, and agree to a certain degree. People are more about posing or street racing and customizing their bikes with extended swingarms than all-round handling. I'm not sure many of the kids who buy sport bikes identify with road racing much anymore. Seems to be more stunting, thrill seeking and straight line riding than anything. Back in the day we'd watch road racers to see what was possible with our stock bikes, nowadays, I don't think people pursue performance like they used to. Probably because modern bikes already outperform 99.9% of riders.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #235
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
In answer to the question 'is anybody watching road racing in the rest of the world', this was last weekend's BSB meeting here in the UK... Live TV all day and check out the crowd! http://youtu.be/-C5Ga8p8Uuc
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #236
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
British superbike seems to be well attended. I believe you can buy an FJR here.
As well as a Concours, Versys, CTX, NC700X, and others.There are plenty of different types of motorcycles to buy. Perhaps it's movies and being young that compels people to buy sport bikes and fast cars. Excitement. That's why I bought a Z1 and not a KZ 650.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #237
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,203
^^ BSB was the example I was thinking of. It is a really well-run series. AMA/DMG could learn a lot by studying their business model.

I would not think there is much of an evidentiary link between the sport bike demographic in this country and how well our national Superbike series is fairing in the aports marketplace.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #238
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,222
Quote:

I don't blame the big 4 for taking advantage of what the US foolishly allows, I'm sure it's more profitable for them to just keep dumping higher numbers of what is easier to sell.
But aren't sportbike sales down? Waaay down? For years now? Might US roadracing's problem--aside from the plague that is DMG--be not enough new sportbike buyers, rather than too many?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #239
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
But aren't sportbike sales down? Waaay down? For years now? Might US roadracing's problem--aside from the plague that is DMG--be not enough new sportbike buyers, rather than too many?
This.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #240
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,509
I disagree about the lack of sportbike sales, most of those squids never went to the races anyways, it's always been race fans that attended races, no matter what they rode. Back in the heyday of the ama, late 80's through early 2000's, there used to be a fantastic mix of motorcycles at the track, cruisers, dualsports, sportbikes, beemers, etc.
didn't matter what people rode, they were RACE FANS, simple as that. They also weren't stupid, and when the show got stupid, they simple stopped going to the show. Hell, even in the 70's, fans would flock to the track, and the "sportbike" wasn't even invented yet!!
bring back good racing, bring back the factories, bring back the heros, and the fans will return.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote