Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #271
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,508
you make good and valid points, but the thing is, I still blame the ama/dmg fuckups for doing the most damage. that asshole Edmonston had a vendetta against the factories, and wanted rid of the them, why? I don't know, guess he figured he didn't need their money, so lets change the rules to piss them off and make them go away, yeah, that will work, because then it will be like club racing, which 6 people in the country enjoy watching, so yeah, that's a brilliant fucking idea.
trust me, I followed this entire ordeal from the very beginning, and I've forgotten more of the details than I can remember, but I DO remember Edmonston being the head douchbag that wanted to dumb down the sport.
shortly afterward, Honda simply pulled out, unwilling to spend the money to race in a watered down club racing series, others followed right behind, riders that had years of great riding ahead of them were left out in the cold, didn't even get the chance to retire.
even in hard times, the factories like to race, they like to win, NONE of it makes economic sense, they spend WAY more than they will ever recoup, but they still do it. Back in the early 90's, Ducati sold about a dozen bikes a year here, but dang, they had a full factory team!! Suzuki coming back to motogp is another example, the company is on hard times, sales are down, car sales halted in the states, wsbk and ama teams drastically reduced, but dammit, they are building a motogp bike! why? because they WANT TO RACE. It would make better sense to put efforts into national series, race what you sell, spend less, etc, but no, they want to be part of THE SHOW.
Racing is way more than economics, it's passion, and passion is what drives this sport. The ama/dmg assholes have no idea what passion is. Having a 5 race series, or whatever the hell it is, is pathetic to put it mildly.
I just hope and pray that the ama series dies, and some one steps up and starts a professional race series that will once again be one of the top national series in the world, not the laughing stock of the world. I hope we can have a series that once again can produce world champions.
but don't worry, in the meantime, ama/dmg will pat themselves on their backs over the fine job they are doing.
bikerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #272
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Daytona 2015 schedule is out, hope it happens with a decent field of Superbikes for the 200! I missed them!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2014/Jul/14073174.htm

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #273
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Honestly, I'd be more excited for a real schedule at real tracks. I'll watch the 200 just because. But I couldn't care less about its significance as a race. That has gone away.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #274
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
But aren't sportbike sales down? Waaay down? For years now? Might US roadracing's problem--aside from the plague that is DMG--be not enough new sportbike buyers, rather than too many?
Never, ever, confuse people with facts, dammit!
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #275
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,116
I still think the sport bike created a hollow empty demographic which was counterproductive to its own existence in the matrix.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #276
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I still think the sport bike created a hollow empty demographic which was counterproductive to its own existence in the matrix.
I think you're wrong Scott. I owned sportbikes since they first came out; and had cafe's before them. Sportbikes were a natural evolution of bikes that catered to what people (from the vast boomer demographic) wanted (or thought they wanted). And there is no doubt that virtually all bike types benefited from the R&D that the factories put into making sportbikes better.

One of the three main issues (economics being one of the others) in sportbike decline is that vast boomer demographic I mentioned. We're getting older & just don't fit the bikes as well as our svelte and limber selves (who's joints were all our own) used to

That's one of the reasons Adv bikes have become so popular-- it allows boomers to exchange (rather than give up) one fantasy of themselves for another outside of the H-D realm. It's why most of the magazines sort of got into Adv, old school bikes, and now nakeds at the same time-- they're mostly run by geezers too. In another 5-10 years you'll be seeing a lot more sidecar and 3 wheeler articles

BTW, the 3rd (and probably most troubling for the manufacturers) is that the younger generations just don't see street motorcycling as an extreme sport or mark of rebellion the way many boomers did. Stadium racing and Xgames with big jumps and aerobatics is where it's at for them.

And sort of getting back on topic--

The AMA Congress meets annually, and this year—from Thursday, Oct. 4 through Saturday, Oct. 6—Congress delegates will be hard at work in Columbus, Ohio, representing your interests. If you have ideas as to how the AMA might further these aims (like improving AMA Pro Racing), now is the time to let your representative know.

Might not be the most influential thing you can do, but it is possibly more effective than bitching in this forum
Old 08-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #277
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I think you're wrong Scott. I owned sportbikes since they first came out; and had cafe's before them. Sportbikes were a natural evolution of bikes that catered to what people (from the vast boomer demographic) wanted (or thought they wanted). And there is no doubt that virtually all bike types benefited from the R&D that the factories put into making sportbikes better.

One of the three main issues (economics being one of the others) in sportbike decline is that vast boomer demographic I mentioned. We're getting older & just don't fit the bikes as well as our svelte and limber selves (who's joints were all our own) used to

That's one of the reasons Adv bikes have become so popular-- it allows boomers to exchange (rather than give up) one fantasy of themselves for another outside of the H-D realm. It's why most of the magazines sort of got into Adv, old school bikes, and now nakeds at the same time-- they're mostly run by geezers too. In another 5-10 years you'll be seeing a lot more sidecar and 3 wheeler articles

BTW, the 3rd (and probably most troubling for the manufacturers) is that the younger generations just don't see street motorcycling as an extreme sport or mark of rebellion the way many boomers did. Stadium racing and Xgames with big jumps and aerobatics is where it's at for them.
You've made a lot of good points Walter but I wouldn't consider you and legitimate street junkies like you as part of that hollow demograph.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #278
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post

I like that a lot.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #279
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,874
Quote:
I'm sure that made sense when you wrote it.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #280
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
You've made a lot of good points Walter but I wouldn't consider you and legitimate street junkies like you as party of that hollow demograph.
I can't help but wonder how many people are dead as a result from high speeds on a sport bike who had no business being on one who never would have slung their leg over a bike if not for the street legal sport bike virus programs in the matrix?
Old 08-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #281
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
I'm sure that made sense when you wrote it.
Explicit.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #282
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:

I never felt the vast mass of squids on sport bikes were boomers?
Old 08-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #283
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:

Insurance rates and $10k price tags on new 600's might play a role.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #284
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
I remember reading an article that said Gary Nixon or Bugsy Mann I can't remember whom after viewing the first MX race in Daytona in 72 stated stadium motocross(SX had not been invented) would be the death of road racing in America it took a long time but his words are coming true.
WR250R
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #285
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I never felt the vast mass of squids on sport bikes were boomers?
I don't know what the exact breakdown was of boomer vs non-boomer riders, but my observation is that most of the new bikes that were bought were bought by older riders because of purchase/insurance costs. The perception is distorted because of all the squid videos that get posted. However, the last few years of the great sportbike boom was certainly due in good measure by young riders and easy financing.

It's almost become a moot point though, since many squids have abandoned sportbikes for dirt bikes since they're easier to stunt/wheelie, crash better, and are better for outrunning cops. Think the manufacturers should dial back dirtbike capabilities?

And you're probably right that some number of people were killed on sportbikes who might not otherwise have died that way. Otoh, do you blame GoPro for the people who have gotten hurt/died trying to create the next YouTube sensation?

It's a slippery slope.