Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #301
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
Who owns all the air fencing used at AMA/DMG road races?

Timing and scoring equipment?

Contracts with track owners?

My point is that there are certain tangible assets somebody owns which another sanctioning body would need to start a new series.

I realize my ignorance is showing, so maybe someone with actual knowledge of the issues can explain how a new series might be started to replace the current, failing one.
None of those items would be prohibitive to starting a new series. There are no long term contracts with the tracks (except Daytona ). Those agreements are new each year. Staffing, timing and scoring equipment and collateral support equipment may be a big hurdle but not a deal breaker. AMA Pro Racing had been using/renting/leasing air fence from the RoadracingWorld Action fund and local tracks/amateur racing clubs for several years.*

The point of my post about Dorna was that if there was real money to be made running pro racing in the United States, they would have bought the rights in 2008 or would have already started a competing series. Reports differ, but many articles have been written stating the AMA membership organization heavily subsidized much of AMA Pro Racing for many years and that is one reason the Pro Racing rights were sold. One could make a strong argument that it would take lightning in a bottle to create a lucrative professional motorcycle road racing series in the United States without subsidies. Or its just impossible.

WERA has announced a ten-race, WERA Pro Series for 2015 with tape delayed broadcasts on MAV-TV, so there is nothing to stop an organization from running a competing pro road racing series. However, the WERA series will be part of existing WERA race weekends. Sean Clarke of WERA has stated on the WERA BBS that they are not going to be renting expensive tracks so don't expect WERA Pro at Laguna, Sonoma, COTA, Indy or any other place they don't already host WERA races.

*Curiously, half way through 2013, AMA Pro Road Racing purchased a couple hundred thousand dollars of air fence. No money for TV but they can buy airfence they don't need. Huh?

AMA Pro Flat Track (or maybe some of tracks) continue to use RRW Action Fund Airfence.

DogBoy screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 06:50 PM
DogBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #302
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
No, boomers on cruisers are the ones dying at a faster clip than kids on sport bikes.
That's what I've been seeing for years as well. The cruiser market is huge compared to the sportbike market.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #303
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
WERA has announced a ten-race, WERA Pro Series for 2015 with tape delayed broadcasts on MAV-TV, so there is nothing to stop an organization from running a competing pro road racing series. However, the WERA series will be part of existing WERA race weekends. Sean Clarke of WERA has stated on the WERA BBS that they are not going to be renting expensive tracks so don't expect WERA Pro at Laguna, Sonoma, COTA, Indy or any other place they don't already host WERA races.

Good for Sean. He has a great organization. They're race weekends are very well run. I rate them higher that LRRS (and USCRA... )

Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #304
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,608
Darth Ulrich seemed to be able to put together a three race series without too* much trouble.

*granted, I sure wasn't privvy to the behind-the-scenes action and I'll bet it was anything BUT easy...but if John can do it, DORNA sure as hell can do it. So can WERA.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #305
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Although it does seem to work for flat track. There are always a lot of Harleys present in contrast to the road races. Probably no coincidence since the XR750 has been the dominant bike for the last 40 years. I'm sure the new manufacturers coming in is a concern for that series, as it could push the faithful out of the stands.

There are a lot of people I know who ride and are not mc race fans, just as the majority of car drivers are not auto racing fans. Football seems to attract a wide audience, and the majority of the viewers probably never played at the high school level. The spectacle brings them in, and the human interest stories, rivalries, etc.

If you have a competitive product that is well marketed, it should cross over into the non-traditional audience. I think DMG has a good on track formula, but the marketing and exposure part is severely lacking. Counting on the track to do all of that is a hindrance, and most major sports are marketed by the league to give maximum exposure and present a universal message.
Nice post George you've made a heap of good points. I really like the thought about football. Why do so many people care? Our history shows us that hill climb was a mega sport in its day, but interest waned. With so many options for entertainment in this day and age it's a wonder how it can all be supported as well as it is. Tough going though I think NY Mets attendance is down more than 35% since 2008. That's a LOT! Yankees too. And with new stadiums they both charge premium prices and don't have a premium product. Great post George. Pro MX at Unadilla this weekend!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #306
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,164
Rumors of a big announcement on Wednesday. Could it be the Rainey/AMA deal? I heard SBK / Moto2 / Moto3 as classes from a reliable source, but those were nothing more than rumors.
Kropotkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #307
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,323
Fingers crossed.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #308
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Rumors of a big announcement on Wednesday. Could it be the Rainey/AMA deal? I heard SBK / Moto2 / Moto3 as classes from a reliable source, but those were nothing more than rumors.
I think Moto2 would be kinda spendy for a national (non-spanish) series, Mebbe some kind of 600 SS class.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #309
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,323
Any word on the announcement?
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #310
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
With BMW flirting with the elusive %3 of the US market share Ducati must be knocking on %1's door!!!
I think the main point is that they are growing share and are profitable in a market segment that you consigned to the trash heap. Don't confuse size with success.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 AM   #311
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Any word on the announcement?
False alarm. Nothing yet.
Kropotkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #312
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,917
Quote:
You're such a tease . . .

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #313
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
Wales GP instead?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #314
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,258
Posted in the correct thread. Seems like good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #315
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Posted in the correct thread. Seems like good news.
Good bye DMG, Hello "MotoAmerica"
Rainey and Co Take Over DMG/AMA National Racing

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote