Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #91
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
If done correctly, it could resemble the old SCCA Can-Am series. That garnered a lot of attention in the late 60s / early 70s. The BSB series ran a race or two in Holland, if I remember correctly, and that seemed to go over pretty well/

If they modeled the rules after either WSBK or the BSB, that could align it for North American riders to grow into international series.
BSB rules work pretty well, every manufacturer's bikes have the potential to be competitive, equipment is affordable, etc etc... use BSB rules for the support classes as well, and do something about free transport offered by series organisers for equipment between venues for participants you could have a healthy, thriving series, with all riders & mechanics have to do being jump onto a budget flight to the track for an AMA weekend...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #92
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
So could the sixth race that might be added be the support races for WSBK weekend at Laguna in July.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #93
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
So could the sixth race that might be added be the support races for WSBK weekend at Laguna in July.
I suspect Laguna, who were stitched up quite badly last year by the AMA, could do far better for a support program if it looked elsewhere...

I'm sure MSV (who run BSB) would happily work with them to put together a Transatlantic Match Race support programme against the cream of American racers... to pick an example of an alternative that probably won't say 'Oh. yeah, about that TV coverage... Oops!!' on practice day...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #94
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,311
About AMA Pro Road Racing:
AMA Pro Road Racing is the premier motorcycle road racing series in North America and is universally regarded as one of the most competitive road racing organizations in the world.

Oh yea, can't forget this one:
Motorcyclist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 AM   #95
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
About AMA Pro Road Racing:
AMA Pro Road Racing is the premier motorcycle road racing series in North America and is universally regarded as one of the most competitive road racing organizations in the world.

Oh yea, can't forget this one:
They really love to pat themselves on the back, but I guess if congress can get away with it, anyone can
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #96
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,057
Things have shifted; and the generation (and the +/- 30 years that bracket it) that drove our American gas-powered car and moto culture (which fueled competitive racing) is passing. Probably happening in other markets as well.

Consider that the latest sportbike market, which at the top (1000cc) was being driven by boomers and at the bottom (600cc) by easy credit to younger people, has apparently (or at least somewhat) collapsed. So the manufacturers probably have less interest incurring the expense of racing in a national series.

Now the boomers (many of whom can't fit comfortably onto sportbikes anymore ) are moving into cruisers, nakeds, and adventure bikes; and the younger folks seem to be more interested in (relatively) cheap/utilitarian and "cool looking" (which is always subject to change and being directed) bikes.

I suspect there will always be a market for sportbikes/racereps, but probably no where near the volume in the past which fueled all the race activity it did.

So maybe we need a race series that reflect that changing set of facts. It might be far-fetched to imagine a 1800cc cruiser race series (would be fun to watch though), but a naked class (i.e., no clipons or side bodywork) would be reasonable.

Times change.

But, otoh, sometimes they come full circle. Motorcycling was in a real funk at the end of the 70's and early 80's. Then it got spectacular and remained so for 20 years. So let's hope for the best (and buy a new bike this year!).
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #97
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
John Ulrich proposes a "Triple Crown" mini-series with a single Superbike and Sportbike at each event. Races would run on the Sunday of a "regional" racing series event (I'm calling these events club races). He is attempting to put together a TV package and sponsorship for the Triple Crown.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...ething-happen/

Take away the hefty AMA Sanctioning fee, combine with club weekends to share track expense and use the money saved for TV. Well, thats my summary which may not be accurate.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #98
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
John Ulrich proposes a "Triple Crown" mini-series with a single Superbike and Sportbike at each event. Races would run on the Sunday of a "regional" racing series event (I'm calling these events club races). He is attempting to put together a TV package and sponsorship for the Triple Crown.

Take away the hefty AMA Sanctioning fee, combine with club weekends to share track expense and use the money saved for TV. Well, thats my summary which may not be accurate.
I think this could work with the right people behind it. I've known JU pretty well since Pocono Formula USA 1998. He's been a force in the sport for decades. Some say a negative force, but not in my book. He single handed launched the whole air fence/soft barrier initiative, and I have a son alive today, thanks to that initiative.

I think they would need a pretty big purse to go along with the three events. Something notable that would attract fans and generate interest/buzz within the motorcycle industry. Maybe $100k for the winner, $30k for 2nd and $10k for the last step on the podium. Big enough checks to warrant a memorable podium video.

Maybe dump the spec tire rules too, since it isn't an AMA Pro deal. If there is no spec tire rules then Dunlop will be allocating free race tires to their contract riders. Pirelli and Michelin might try to carve a slice of that grid too.

Yes I know changing tire brands requires a lot of set-up changes, but people are willing to work pretty hard for free race tires. Three events with a big purse makes it worthy of the effort.

Anyways, I hope a Triple Crown will surface. I might be willing to field an R6. I know a few others that would too, and with competitive riders.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #99
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
I wonder about the big purse bringing out big names. Remember when Willow Springs offered the $50,000 purse for their own "outlaw" Superbike race* about ten years ago? None of the big factory teams showed up. Not one. The event was run after the AMA season but the factory teams all stayed home. Corporate control? Will Graves, Yosh and the KTM team attend the Triple Crown races? Maybe a TV contract will make a difference. Or maybe anything non-DMG will bring back fans. Who knows?

*It was good for Josh Hayes and Attack Performance which took home the big check two years in a row.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #100
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
I wonder about the big purse bringing out big names. Remember when Willow Springs offered the $50,000 purse for their own "outlaw" Superbike race* about ten years ago? None of the big factory teams showed up. Not one. The event was run after the AMA season but the factory teams all stayed home. Corporate control? Will Graves, Yosh and the KTM team attend the Triple Crown races? Maybe a TV contract will make a difference. Or maybe anything non-DMG will bring back fans. Who knows?

*It was good for Josh Hayes and Attack Performance which took home the big check two years in a row.
Yes I remember the outlaw races at Willow. They were a bust as you said. We went to Willow once in F-USA. Like Loudon, it is a 'homer's track. Not many newbies are going to string turns together there. Interesting place, though. A track for the brave... Racers who like fast on the edge love that place I suspect. Maybe Willow could be in the mix for the triple. I think that would be a good thing.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 AM   #101
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,432
these other series were being tried at a time of big factory involvement, but now, we have almost no factory involvement. if the purses are big enough, and the events held at good facilities, I think they will do ok. Hey, somebody has to do something!!
of course the ama will probably threaten those that want to run the outlaw events, it's happened before.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #102
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Isn't there an ASRA series or some such?

http://www.asraracing.com/

I admit, I didn't read the JU article. He is a great source of knowledge, but his entire career, race team and magazine, hinges on the AMA series, so his opinions on such are always heavily biased towards what is best for his magazine and team. He has to be careful of real criticism for that reason. Puts him in a bit of a funny position.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #103
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Latest updates:
1. Westby is starting his own Daytona Sportbike team, with sponsorship from Yamalube.

2. Eslick back to DSB on a Triumph.

3. Pegram to partner with EBR with Geico sponsorship.

4. Meen Motorsports adding an additional team. Wow, what are they thinking?

Still 5 events for 2014. No word on a TV package that I can see.

http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/news/
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #104
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
Latest updates:
3. Pegram to partner with EBR with Foremost sponsorship.
Fixed.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #105
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oopsie, too many Gecko commercials, thanks.