Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 AM   #121
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
But in more important news, his wife is getting back into swimsuit modeling . Catch Superbike Family on Velocity if you can
You only need to watch the show to see how far AMA road racing has fallen. Pegram's wife's modeling career and his new business buying crappy rental properties are now getting more coverage than the racing. Not that his wife's modeling career isn't totally uninteresting.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 04:49 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #122
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
You only need to watch the show to see how far AMA road racing has fallen. Pegram's wife's modeling career and his new business buying crappy rental properties are now getting more coverage than the racing. Not that his wife's modeling career isn't totally uninteresting.
- Mark
Well, I did say that part was more interesting
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #123
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,431
No daytona tv coverage!!!!??? What a fucking joke!!!!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #124
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,216
I didn't actually realize that.

I thought they had coverage for Daytona but not for the rest ( the rest).

Worse than even I thought.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #125
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,008
Epic cluster fuckage.

Can't wait till we do this to DMG (and I was a supporter)

image taken from a JM thread.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 11:19 AM
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #126
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Not AMA, but at least Northern California fans will get to see the top national team and riders in action: http://www.racesonoma.com/media/news...a-raceway.html ProAm event with the pro classes and AFM along with SupermotoUSA on the Sonoma Raceway kart track. Great weekend.

More: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...onoma-raceway/

Ulrich mentioned in his original post on the Triple Crown (or whatever name he settles on) that he wanted to put together TV coverage for these three rounds. May be the only US pro road racing on TV this year if he can do it.

DogBoy screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 11:44 AM
DogBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #127
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
The AMA RR debacle

Fellas, I'm totally ignorant of the politics...

...I'm just glad I have the memories of bundling the family into the hauler, making the 1,200 mile drive to Laguna Seca in one day (could do it back then), and watching Polen, Russell, Corser & co. race AMA SBK back in the 90s.

Words cannot describe my frustration at the current scene.

Surely the nation that gave us Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, etc. can figure this thing out.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #128
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post

Surely the nation that gave us Roberts, Spencer, Lawson, etc. can figure this thing out.

--Doc
This nation also gave us the contrived embarrassment that is currently NASCAR, whose organizers also run AMA SBK at this time.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #129
DrPhill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
try this to watch the streaming of the 200 and the flat trackers at Daytona?

I'm beginning to re-think my trip to see the races next week now...
DrPhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #130
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I wonder if Yosh will participate. All three venues are day trips from the LA base garages. It might turn into something. Club racers cover the track rental and the two pro classes attract a few fans. The track has a chance to make a few bucks. Sounds like fun if they can get a little TV coverage. Reminds me of the old Formula USA model. F-USA attracted pretty big crowds 1997-2002 or so. JU's Team Hammer was one of the top teams participating in it.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #131
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I wonder if Yosh will participate. All three venues are day trips from the LA base garages. It might turn into something. Club racers cover the track rental and the two pro classes attract a few fans. The track has a chance to make a few bucks. Sounds like fun if they can get a little TV coverage. Reminds me of the old Formula USA model. F-USA attracted pretty big crowds 1997-2002 or so. JU's Team Hammer was one of the top teams participating in it.
According to Ulrich's post on the WERA BBS Yosh and Graves are in for this series. He had to stick to AMA rules, tires and fuel to get them to commit.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #132
bikerfish
flyfishandride

AMA Pro racing????????????? I think they should take the "pro" out of the title, as this series is about the farthest thing from professional as one can get.
but wait, there will be guys in AMA shirts patting themselves on the back about the bang-up job they are doing.
I wish they would just fold it up and throw it away, there is nothing left to save, time to start over with someone that ACTUALLY GIVES A FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #133
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
AMA racing has gotten worse and worse over the years. DMG's hand in the matter has not helped. I believe that much of there spiral downhill is the lack of interest in the sport. I remember going to AMA events at Road Atlanta and it being a jam packed crowd and a huge party. Years go by and i see some of the old faces, though a lot of people never return, and hardly any new faces. WERA grand national finals used to be a hell of a show and also offered a packed house but i have not seen that in years (about ten). AMA used to offer up some of the best racers in America and provided them with a stepping stone to higher levels (Colin WSBK MGP, Nicky MGP, Kenny Roberts JR MGP, John Hopkins MGP, Ben Spies WSBK MGP). Now with the lack of support in the states for road racing and the changing of moto gp rules in the past ten years (traction control, anti wheelie control, rectum control ect.) the high flying sideways action has been all but eliminated and a smooth/controlled manner is the fastest way around the track on a Moto Gp bike. Also teams will take a chance on a Moto 2 rider quicker than AMA because we have Larry Peg and Steve Rapp being top 10 contenders in the states while Tony Elias cant hang on to his Moto 2 ride.

Go to the local motorcycle shop and if you see anyone under the age of 30 they will care less about Road Racing, even if they ride a sport bike. Ask a squid on a GSXR/CBR/ZX etc how do you think Valentino Rossi will do this year and he will look at you like you are crazy.

Is there a way to fix this, i have no clue. What caused this? Maybe a lack of exposure, maybe making bikes that look the exact same just a different color, maybe a lacking local support, affordability to go race, general interest or a generation that lacks an abundance of motor heads. No matter what the cause if there is not some interest in Road Racing across the nation then we can expect lame AMA events and lame turnouts.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #134
bikerfish
flyfishandride

I think there is still interest in road racing, take a trip to indy motogp or Austin, tons of bike racing fans. I think the downward spiral started with the rules changes when dmg took over, neutering the superbikes, and losing the factories. I know that is when I quit going. I just couldn't see spending more money to watch josh hayes ride around by himself than to go watch the motogp circus. Seriously, Indy was cheaper than mid-ohio!!!!
motogp offers excitement, superstar riders, NOISE!!!, etc.
It's run at a very professional level, every practice is on time, every race is on time, regardless of weather or whatever lame excuse the ama comes up with when they delay the program.
the downward spiral will continue, with no TV deal, they have little chance to attract a title sponser, and without that, they have no money, and with no money, how will anyone get paid?? oh yeah, lets just raise the already insane sanction fees at the 5 tracks that still talk to them, well guess what, might as well kiss them goodbye soon, I don't think they will sell enough tickets to make up the money.
next year I see one round, or maybe 5 rounds, but all at Daytona
man, this whole thing just pisses me off more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
AMA racing has gotten worse and worse over the years. DMG's hand in the matter has not helped. I believe that much of there spiral downhill is the lack of interest in the sport. I remember going to AMA events at Road Atlanta and it being a jam packed crowd and a huge party. Years go by and i see some of the old faces, though a lot of people never return, and hardly any new faces. WERA grand national finals used to be a hell of a show and also offered a packed house but i have not seen that in years (about ten). AMA used to offer up some of the best racers in America and provided them with a stepping stone to higher levels (Colin WSBK MGP, Nicky MGP, Kenny Roberts JR MGP, John Hopkins MGP, Ben Spies WSBK MGP). Now with the lack of support in the states for road racing and the changing of moto gp rules in the past ten years (traction control, anti wheelie control, rectum control ect.) the high flying sideways action has been all but eliminated and a smooth/controlled manner is the fastest way around the track on a Moto Gp bike. Also teams will take a chance on a Moto 2 rider quicker than AMA because we have Larry Peg and Steve Rapp being top 10 contenders in the states while Tony Elias cant hang on to his Moto 2 ride.

Go to the local motorcycle shop and if you see anyone under the age of 30 they will care less about Road Racing, even if they ride a sport bike. Ask a squid on a GSXR/CBR/ZX etc how do you think Valentino Rossi will do this year and he will look at you like you are crazy.

Is there a way to fix this, i have no clue. What caused this? Maybe a lack of exposure, maybe making bikes that look the exact same just a different color, maybe a lacking local support, affordability to go race, general interest or a generation that lacks an abundance of motor heads. No matter what the cause if there is not some interest in Road Racing across the nation then we can expect lame AMA events and lame turnouts.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 AM   #135
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I think there is still interest in road racing, take a trip to indy motogp or Austin, tons of bike racing fans.
I agree there is still interest. Laguna's round of MotoGP has been the biggest event in Monterey County since 2005 when Nick won it. Bigger than the PGA or the classic car shows. Indy always has a great crowd even though the place looks empty with its 300k seats.

My personal opinion is that when the sport became a rent-a-ride grid, it lost a lot of my interest. I wanted to see the factory haulers lined up side by side and all the barking between teams and officials. In the case of Loudon, the track owner got involved too. Pretty heated stuff. Fun stuff. Claiming disputes and such. Maybe it was rain...

Other single combat sports have a podium with a giant check on the podium showing the winners take. Motorcycle racing backed away from that long before DMG.

I am told that today there are no paid seats at all. The rate riders pay for their ride is $300k for 8 rounds. I find it interesting that JU has made the season exactly 8 rounds.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote