Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 605
Look Great!

Do they work?

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Heat shield finishes

Just had a look on the website where the Carbon look of the shields got done...so have your pick and PM me the link of the finish you want:)!!
Skulls anybody:)

http://www.perfectfinishmallorca.com/films/

Will also paint one of the shields matt to see how that looks with a special scratch resistant paint. The company doing it (our sail makers) offered to paint all the fairings on my bike at cost price to see how it will safe the pieces from scratching etc! Pretty amazing stuff. We've painted our 60.000 main sail with it to stop chafing against the mast during the Atlantic crossing. Can't barely scratch it with 40 grid. Petty crazy stuff.

http://www.extrememarine.eu/
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Look Great!

Do they work?

Works a treat! Left side just under the seat is now the same as right side. My left thigh doesn't get cooked anymore and I can now cruise in town in my shorts. Sure there's still heat at the lower leg but the main heat radiating from under the seat is gone. Right side was never an issue but just for the sake of having both sides look the same we made both sides. I am keeping an eye on the rear shock gas reservoir, seems to be getting really hot but not sure if it was the same without the right shield...another reason to go to the track tomorrow!:))
Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay... somebody not messing about!

http://www.perfectfinishmallorca.com...arbono-brillo/
Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Okay... somebody not messing about!

http://www.perfectfinishmallorca.com...arbono-brillo/
Excellent! Just went for a demo group ride and just about everybody complained about the heat. Including me. Glad there is an easy fix.

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Looks very nice whenever it's ready for sell I could buy it if the price is good
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
barbadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMurgel View Post
Fantastic job!

Makes me wonder why KTM didn't do this....

If they were smart they shold aproach you and make this a Power Parts....

I think when you do them black mate it will look even better.

KTM France informed customers 2 weeks ago that they will sell a heat protection in 2014 power parts catalog.
It will not be taken under warranty because, i quote "engineers believe that this heat is not due to a defect in the bike but a peculiarity related to the design of the framework", without comment.
But they didn't give a price or a description about this...
barbadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadv View Post
KTM France informed customers 2 weeks ago that they will sell a heat protection in 2014 power parts catalog.
It will not be taken under warranty because, i quote "engineers believe that this heat is not due to a defect in the bike but a peculiarity related to the design of the framework", without comment.
But they didn't give a price or a description about this...
Interesting since they do give out heat shield under the seat under warranty, in france I believe(no answer from Ktm here in Spain yet).
Curious to see what they came up with.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Production Carbon heat shield

Hi guys...ladies!

Ok so gave the go ahead to start producing 30 pieces of the Carbon heat shields..
Negotiated a price of 115/piece (excl. shipping) (paid 300 for mine 2) with the Carbon look or whatever finnish you wish and tomorrow I'll go shopping for some heat reflective stick on film that we will stick on the inside so the pieces themselves stay relatively cool....It's quite a bit of labour to make these (laminating 3 layers, hand cutting, inserting and laminating scoop, carbon look finish)...so that's the lowest they would go.
Also please keep in mind that I'm sticking my limbs out since I have to pay these upfront! I'm just doing this, for now, for fun cause since it's a nice little project and for some beer money for my travels to S.Am and so you guys can keep your legs cool!

The pieces we will ship will be slightly longer so they cover the front and aft frame bar and then the cable tie will go through two holes in order not to see them going onto the frame. We tried to find other solutions to mount the shield but couldn't find anything. If you start working with clips in the back on the frame then the shields will stick out too much... All suggestions welcome

Unfortunately I will not have enough time to make more before I leave across the pond to cruise S.Am.... but...if there is more of you interested then I could start another batch, if all other pieces are gone! and then this company could handle the shipping for me during my travels. But first I have to see how everything runs for these first 30, if all goes well then I can take the risk of letting them handle the whole process of fabricating the carbon pieces, finishing the carbon look and packing/posting while I'm away cruising S.Am. Of course they'll charge me for it...

We will redo my pieces 1 in matt and 1 in high gloss finish with the scratch resistance paint I described before and I'll post some pics later this week (http://www.extrememarine.eu/) if this paint works (then they will cover my bike's fairings with it!:) ) and if they don't ask too much then I will go all 30 shields with this other wise they will be clear coated with normal paint and then you just choose matt or high gloss and your look of choice...Orange Carbon? I'll post what my finish was since I'm not sure!

Choose from the website:

I will set up a new email for this project later this week and post it here, so when my pieces are finished this week and I've posted the photos here email me with your email address (not if you've already done so) and send me your choice between matt or gloss finish and what look you want. I need to figure a payment system as well. I'm thinking paypal...any other suggestions....that's about it I reckon...pfew!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 AM   #25
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 581
so does that mean 2x115/set (excl. shipping)?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #26
mikewolff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
PM sent Rik. I'm in!

Quote:
Hi guys...ladies!

Ok so gave the go ahead to start producing 30 pieces of the Carbon heat shields..
Negotiated a price of 115/piece (excl. shipping) (paid 300 for mine 2) with the Carbon look or whatever finnish you wish and tomorrow I'll go shopping for some heat reflective stick on film that we will stick on the inside so the pieces themselves stay relatively cool....It's quite a bit of labour to make these (laminating 3 layers, hand cutting, inserting and laminating scoop, carbon look finish)...so that's the lowest they would go.
Also please keep in mind that I'm sticking my limbs out since I have to pay these upfront! I'm just doing this, for now, for fun cause since it's a nice little project and for some beer money for my travels to S.Am and so you guys can keep your legs cool!

The pieces we will ship will be slightly longer so they cover the front and aft frame bar and then the cable tie will go through two holes in order not to see them going onto the frame. We tried to find other solutions to mount the shield but couldn't find anything. If you start working with clips in the back on the frame then the shields will stick out too much... All suggestions welcome

Unfortunately I will not have enough time to make more before I leave across the pond to cruise S.Am.... but...if there is more of you interested then I could start another batch, if all other pieces are gone! and then this company could handle the shipping for me during my travels. But first I have to see how everything runs for these first 30, if all goes well then I can take the risk of letting them handle the whole process of fabricating the carbon pieces, finishing the carbon look and packing/posting while I'm away cruising S.Am. Of course they'll charge me for it...

We will redo my pieces 1 in matt and 1 in high gloss finish with the scratch resistance paint I described before and I'll post some pics later this week (http://www.extrememarine.eu/) if this paint works (then they will cover my bike's fairings with it!:) ) and if they don't ask too much then I will go all 30 shields with this other wise they will be clear coated with normal paint and then you just choose matt or high gloss and your look of choice...Orange Carbon? I'll post what my finish was since I'm not sure!

Choose from the website:

I will set up a new email for this project later this week and post it here, so when my pieces are finished this week and I've posted the photos here email me with your email address (not if you've already done so) and send me your choice between matt or gloss finish and what look you want. I need to figure a payment system as well. I'm thinking paypal...any other suggestions....that's about it I reckon...pfew!
mikewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #27
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
so does that mean 2x115/set (excl. shipping)?
Correct
Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #28
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Correct
thanks - that plus shipping will be too much for me then
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #29
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I think a similar heat shield between the engine and the frame instead of on the outside of the frame would look better. Is something physically preventing a design with this location?
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
I think a similar heat shield between the engine and the frame instead of on the outside of the frame would look better. Is something physically preventing a design with this location?
We tried but this was the easiest solution. Certainly on the right hand side where the main heat is coming from the pipes and tubes are pressed against the frame and there's no space.