Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #31
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
thanks - that plus shipping will be too much for me then
Yes sorry for that, I realise the price is steep and it would be cheaper making it in S.A. Labour and materials here on the island aren't cheap. The guys making the shields are professionals and mainly work with carbon on racing yachts so what you get will last for years. Because there's so much heat being produced you can't use many other materials than fibre glass and carbon...unless you can mould some special plastics which I can't!
Maybe I'll start making them myself but that will be after my travels. For now I'll try and promise them more work so maybe they can drop the price a tad more...I'll also check ow much posting to S.A. is...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
The scoops looks like an added piece, that must drive the cost up quite some bit.

Looks beautiful by the way.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #33
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
Yes sorry for that, I realise the price is steep and it would be cheaper making it in S.A. Labour and materials here on the island aren't cheap. The guys making the shields are professionals and mainly work with carbon on racing yachts so what you get will last for years. Because there's so much heat being produced you can't use many other materials than fibre glass and carbon...unless you can mould some special plastics which I can't!
Maybe I'll start making them myself but that will be after my travels. For now I'll try and promise them more work so maybe they can drop the price a tad more...I'll also check ow much posting to S.A. is...
understood - thanks mate
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #34
barbadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Interesting since they do give out heat shield under the seat under warranty, in france I believe(no answer from Ktm here in Spain yet).
Curious to see what they came up with.

Yes, protection under the seat is installed under warranty, my R had his yesterday.
The power parts to be sold (so not under warranty) in 2014 is presented as a "heat shield" for the rear cylinder, maybe like your creation...
barbadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #35
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadv View Post
The power parts to be sold (so not under warranty) in 2014 is presented as a "heat shield" for the rear cylinder, maybe like your creation...
It's amazing that they look to actually make money from the faults of their crappy designs.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,213
Test ride

I test rode an 1190 Adventure R yesterday when the KTM demo truck was in Fresno, CA.

Loved the bike with the exception of what this thread is talking about. Heat from the rear section of the engine radiated on the back of my legs and the seat.

I am very interested in KTM's final determination of what is causing this, what the final solution is and how well the solution works.

The 1190 Adventure and R models are supposed to be available in December 2013 in California. We will see if that actually happens so it seems KTM has plenty of time to come up with a solution to this problem. I believe this is a SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM that needs to be addressed by KTM because we see summer long heat over 100 degrees for too many months in Central California.

This single issue will keep me from buying an 1190 until KTM comes up with a reason for the heat and a good solution. KTM really no excuse for this.

I own a KTM 500EXC and the stock KTM right rear turn signals gets so much heat from the exhaust that it melts. KTM has not addressed this problem for models 2012 - 2014 so I hope they don't take the same attitude with this heat issue on the 1190 because I really want to buy one but I can also buy another GS. I do have choices.

I hope KTM headquarters is reading this and has a better attitude in dealing with the 1190 than they have in dealing these minor issues on the 500EXC. These are not big deal issues and can be easily solved so that is what is puzzling me. Why won't KTM deal with these seemingly small issues.

I'm sure KTM knew about this heat issue long before it went into production because it is one of the first things you notice on your very first ride, unless you wear pants with built in heat shields.

Did I read in an earlier post that the rear header makes contact with the frame and the heat is radiated through the frame?
Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #37
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I test rode an 1190 Adventure R yesterday when the KTM demo truck was in Fresno, CA.

Loved the bike with the exception of what this thread is talking about. Heat from the rear section of the engine radiated on the back of my legs and the seat.

I am very interested in KTM's final determination of what is causing this, what the final solution is and how well the solution works.

The 1190 Adventure and R models are supposed to be available in December 2013 in California. We will see if that actually happens so it seems KTM has plenty of time to come up with a solution to this problem. I believe this is a SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM that needs to be addressed by KTM because we see summer long heat over 100 degrees for too many months in Central California.

This single issue will keep me from buying an 1190 until KTM comes up with a reason for the heat and a good solution. KTM really no excuse for this.

I own a KTM 500EXC and the stock KTM right rear turn signals gets so much heat from the exhaust that it melts. KTM has not addressed this problem for models 2012 - 2014 so I hope they don't take the same attitude with this heat issue on the 1190 because I really want to buy one but I can also buy another GS. I do have choices.

I hope KTM headquarters is reading this and has a better attitude in dealing with the 1190 than they have in dealing these minor issues on the 500EXC. These are not big deal issues and can be easily solved so that is what is puzzling me. Why won't KTM deal with these seemingly small issues.

I'm sure KTM knew about this heat issue long before it went into production because it is one of the first things you notice on your very first ride, unless you wear pants with built in heat shields.

Did I read in an earlier post that the rear header makes contact with the frame and the heat is radiated through the frame?
The thing is I that I don't think it's a problem with the engine because it is a 1200 cc, what can you do but the fairing could have been better...but the more fairing you put the more heat you trap...For me the heat on the left side, right side is ok, was crazy. In hot weather I was cutting off the engine in front of traffic lights,not because I was going green! With the heated seat in high position even more heat escapes, the bike is way to addictive for me too have the heat spoil the fun so that's what pushed me to making the shield, I figured the scoop was a wise thing to add just not to trap the heat inside. Temps have dropped this week but last week it was still 30ºc/86ºf and I could cruise in shorts no probs.
I've been trying to get my hands on a thermal imaging camera but been way too busy but when I do I'll do a few trails on the circuit with and without shields and post the pics...should be interesting...
I'm really starting to think I should be writing KTM now!:)
Old 11-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #38
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadv View Post
Yes, protection under the seat is installed under warranty, my R had his yesterday.
I do notice a bit of heat coming trough the seat but nothing like the heat from the side...
Old 11-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #39
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
It's amazing that they look to actually make money from the faults of their crappy designs.
Damn right! I should charge them for my shields!:)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #40
mikewolff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Any updates Rik?! Mike

Quote:
Damn right! I should charge them for my shields!:)
mikewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #41
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolff View Post
Any updates Rik?! Mike
They are making them at the moment so should have a few ready this week. They started a bit late last week but it's Spain...mañana!
I need to send everybody a form so I can know what model bike you have and if you need matt or gloss finish but been seriously busy. It escaped me that the Standard doesn't have the crashbar but no problem since it's a cutout and can be done on demand. The guys sanded my shield down so it has a matt finish and I will post a pic when I have it in my hands...
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #42
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sanded shields

Sanded one shield down so it resembles what the matt finish will look like. The actual matt finish will be sprayed matt, not sanded.
Am expecting some pictures today them making the shields.
Sorry but been very busy leaving my job! (so I can go cruising...by bike, not boat:)) ) so haven't got time to send the questionaire and do paypall...but the shields should be ready mid next week...

Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #43
mikewolff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Rik - email me your bank details at my address that I sent you (including the IBAN number if you use that system in Spain) and who I need to talk to to get them shipped to Dubai by courier? I need one pair, carbon fibre, Matt finish please?

Best wishes

Mike

Quote:
Sanded one shield down so it resembles what the matt finish will look like. The actual matt finish will be sprayed matt, not sanded.
Am expecting some pictures today them making the shields.
Sorry but been very busy leaving my job! (so I can go cruising...by bike, not boat:)) ) so haven't got time to send the questionaire and do paypall...but the shields should be ready mid next week...

mikewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #44
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anybody knows how to attached a Word file here?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #45
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Anybody knows how to attached a Word file here?
You can put it on a cloud storage service (Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive), make it public and put the link here.
dragos is online now   Reply With Quote