Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #61
iasudoru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
fix the carbon but leave the center stand scrape...then challenge friends to drag their center stand like you.....
his friends were buying this....

iasudoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #62
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasudoru View Post
his friends were buying this....

Lol...yes sometimes my friends are smarter!
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #63
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Shields ready for carbon look finish and ready to start shipping on Monday

Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #64
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
It works pretty good! Temps here have dropped now but a week or 2-3 ago we still had 30 here and I could still cruise in the city in my shorts which before, after 20' off stop and go, became unbearable, especially at my left thigh. I'm finishing up my job this week so next week I'll be able to focus on getting the camera and getting the shields send off to everyone.
5 pair are finished for the R version and all the left shields for the Standard Adventure should be finished by monday.
I got in touch with a company that has a Thermal imaging camera but that would cost me 250/hr!!...euuu... no thanks! :o
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #65
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Hi Corsica101, I just picked up my 1190R and yeah, the heat is pretty intense. I was kinda hoping you were gonna do the thermal imaging thing as I am keen on the heat shields but am concerned what they might do to the shock over time if they trap a lot heat in the area while stopped at traffic lights (which is a lot of the time over here unfortunately!).

Anyone have a thermal camera and some heatshields able to post up a couple before/after pics?

motomuppet screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 07:31 PM
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #66
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Hi Corsica101, I just picked up my 1190R and yeah, the heat is pretty intense. I was kinda hoping you were gonna do the thermal imaging thing as I am keen on the heat shields but am concerned what they might do to the shock over time if they trap a lot heat in the area while stopped at traffic lights (which is a lot of the time over here unfortunately!).

Anyone have a thermal camera and some heatshields able to post up a couple before/after pics?
Hey motomuppet...Congrats you must be stocked.
A few weeks ago, when it was still hot, I was driving without shield and the gas canister got pretty hot as well and then riding with shield didn't make much difference. But yeah I agree, I'm gonna cover mine with something when I get to S.Am. just in case, but then again there is quite a lot of open space underneath and behind the shield for hot air to escape. The shock itself wont be a problem since it's about 5cm from the exhaust pipe itself...

Regarding the finish of the shields, I had a lot of issues finishing with the Carbon look and the guy doing it gave up because he was loosing money on it. I then found a Carbon look vinyl finish which is nice but same story because it was too hard with the air scoop and they ended up waisting too much time to get it right so now I've decided to just paint them matt black more or less like the tank and ship like that. That way everybody can finish them at their own taste and I can drop the price below 200. Tomorrow I should have a final price....
Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #67
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Final finish...at last

I've been struggling with the finish of the shields (in Spain nothing is easy!) but now I've gone with a spray painted satin black finish. The guys doing the Carbon look finish couldn't get it right and the a Carbon look vinyl finish wasn't 100% what I was looking for.
This saved a lot off costs and me a head ace so now I can sell the shields for 180 now+ shipping. (box 2 on the DHL pic, hope you understand a bit off spanish)
I'll mount a pair on my bike tomorrow when the paint dries!

Email me to adventure1190heatshield@gmail.com if interested and I'll send a Paypall request...happy Christmas shopping...

Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #68
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed shields...

Old 12-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #69
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
I got in touch with a company that has a Thermal imaging camera but that would cost me 250/hr!!...euuu... no thanks! :o
I do not know if this would be of any help and a long shot. But if anyone should know some in the army. Then almost every modern fighting system is using some kind of thermal imagery. A few beers and some pizzas could be the trick.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #70
OBD
Other Brother

Oddometer: 98
Just finding this now and not suggesting you abandon the current design... But since you lengthened the tabs where the zip ties secure the shield to the frame, would it be possible to 'mold' or bend that tab area around the frame tubes so the shield would actually 'snap' into place around the frame tubes? It would practically eliminate the need for the zip ties.
Nice work though.
OBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #71
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBD View Post
Just finding this now and not suggesting you abandon the current design... But since you lengthened the tabs where the zip ties secure the shield to the frame, would it be possible to 'mold' or bend that tab area around the frame tubes so the shield would actually 'snap' into place around the frame tubes? It would practically eliminate the need for the zip ties.
Nice work though.
Could be an good idea, only the rear tube on the right side has fixations for the hydraulic lines which cold hinder. Will look into it. Cheers
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #72
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBD View Post
Nice work though.
Could be an good idea, only the rear tube on the right side has fixations for the hydraulic lines which cold hinder. Will look into it. Cheers
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #73
Fezztone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Or put tabs on inside for zip ties so they are hidden? Having the zip ties exposed make the well thought out product look "cheap". Where does the heat go when these are on? Just trapping hot air around an already hot engine is counter intuitive.
Fezztone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 AM   #74
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 242
After the long-term usage, how does the engine cope with the reduced heat evacuation ? Any significant increases in oil temp ?
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #75
Corsica101 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezztone View Post
Or put tabs on inside for zip ties so they are hidden? Having the zip ties exposed make the well thought out product look "cheap". Where does the heat go when these are on? Just trapping hot air around an already hot engine is counter intuitive.
Problem is that any taps separate the shields too much from the frame...
The heat doesn't really get trapped that's why I put in the air scoops and there's plenty of room at the back, bottom and front for hot air to escape.
Been riding around Argentina and chile for 4 months riding 2 up. No probs what so ever. Only time the oil got to 110c is when I got stuck in traffic in a tunnel for 45'! Even then Still had 2 bars on the water temp...all cool