Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Got out again today for a ride without any real destination. Out the door, down the road, and generally north. I have a GPS hardwired now, so I can get as lost as I want, and still find my way home. Took 2.5+ hours on the way out, but it worked out to only be a 40 minute ride home. Must have wandered a bit.

Found this little guy on the way to the garage.

Considered it good luck, and continued on my way.

Saw this view just a few miles down the road. Hadn't been along this side of the river before.

Indian well state park, still towards the beginning of the ride.

And looking over about as much elevation as I've seen in CT, Lost somewhere northwest of Oxford, I think.

xxguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Nice pics the trees are so full of color! How do you like the bike? Lots of twisty roads up in CT. My dad lives up in Norfolk and you can hear bikes all the time screaming up the hills. Fun!

Ohenry
Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #18
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Nice pics the trees are so full of color! How do you like the bike? Lots of twisty roads up in CT. My dad lives up in Norfolk and you can hear bikes all the time screaming up the hills. Fun!

Ohenry
Thanks!
I enjoy being back out here, and fall is the best time for it.

The F800R is great. Easy to ride for medium-long days, even two up. Plenty of power, while still doesn't require full attention to the right hand. The engine has a little dip in power around 5k, which is also the switchover point in feel from torque to power.

Mine has a bit of a head shake at 40 mph, which I need to talk to the dealer about. I'm sure they can resolve it. Might just be tire balance.

Lots of good roads around here for sure, I need to just find some more of them. So far, setting out at random has worked well!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Trapped behind the "barred" windows at work.. Bike calling to me. Looking forward to the ride home, and maybe some detours.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Little change of pace- No motorcycles in this one, sorry!

Took the bicycles out to Block Island for the day on Saturday. Had initially planned to take the BMW, but it was a cold morning & I didn't have extra tie-downs to make sure it'd be safe on the ferry. Hope you'll enjoy the photos anyway.

Leaving the harbor in Pt Judith.

Ride across was a medium swell, enough to get your attention, and enough that inside the breakwater there was someone playing..

Arrived to a beautiful day

Rode up to the north lighthouse, hiked past it, and spent half the day on this secluded section with a bottle of wine

Made a few more stops on the way back to the boat

And headed back in the same direction as the swell, for a much calmer ride home. Red sky at night.. sailor's delight

Pulling into the harbor shortly after dusk.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
magicmark1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Great write up! Love to see when people pursue their dream careers!
magicmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #22
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,147
Those were great shots, love the NE scenery.
you might have said it {I dont usually read all the comments } but what camera u use?

Cool filtering in the snaps
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #23
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

I think it's important to be happy in what you do every day. For me, a creative job & a bike to ride if the weather cooperates, goes a long way towards that.

E-man,
I'm using a now-antique Nikon D70, with a similarly old and lower end Quantaray 28-90, which has recently been becoming progressively softer.

I edit in Gimp, an open source photoshop equivalent that is native in linux, but has a mac/windows version too. Lots of these photos just have a "curve" adjustment, but some I did take farther.

I have my sights set on a Nikon 18-200 VR, and a D300 to follow. Both can be found used for pretty good prices, and would give a lot more options and quality.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Traded my top box for stripes today at the dealership.

..Not really, it's a loaner/courtesy bike while they're checking on my front end shake @ 40mph. Would have been a lousy trade! My shoulder was sore from rock climbing, and it sure did not appreciate the weight of the messenger bag, especially since I apparently decided on taking the scenic route home.. So much for glancing over the googlemaps directions (no GPS on loaner bike) and thinking I had it memorized. Here's my highly efficient route!

Yeah. About that.

Amusing moment- Older guy in a BMW 5 series rolls up next to me, "my beemer is a bit larger than yours!"

Few seconds of wondering if he has a R12GS later, I realize that he's in a 4 wheeled BMW, laugh, agree, and move along.

Home now, drink poured (rye, tonight), and my girlfriend has sushi en route.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Got my bike back from the dealership on Friday, took the shorter route home this time

The front end shake was an odd source, and one that the dealership had trouble figuring out too.. The top box! Must be a speed specific buffeting off of my body to the case. Shame, but oh well.

No time to ride over the weekend, between leaves/lawn, installing the wiring for my girlfriends (car) heated seat, some ikea furniture, assembling all the plumbing for my new homebrew beer equipment (haven't brewed in 2 years, but did ~40 gal before then), and an oil change on each the miata & F800R.

Busy but rewarding weekend.

Here's the science fair project:

The ride to work today was the "reset" that I needed.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
Luckyguy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Stalking...

Guitar,
Thanks again for the great images! The Western Connecticut shots brought me back to my childhood but the BI shots are my favorite. My parents run a B&B out there, have for years and my inlaws live there too. I met my wife there, got married there, baptized my babies there and my wife and children still spend their summers there and I get up when works allows. I've ridden some out there on friend's bikes but anything bigger than a 250 is wasted out there. I had a plated crf230f I thought about leaving up there but never did. I still may! Thanks again for the images and I think it's time you road tripped to Colorado Springs so I can great images of my college years! Thank you again for the great images,

Lucky
Luckyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Great pictures. I live on Long Island but also got my bike from Max in Ct. Whenever I bring the bike up there for service I take the opportunity to ride around Connecticut a bit. Have been to many of the places you have pictures of, but you also showed me some new places to go. Thanks. It's a beautiful area.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Lucky,
I love BI, have been out there a handful of times. Usually do a lot more running around, but this time we just hid out at the beach past the north light. Sounds like you have even quite a bit better association than I!
Don't know about colorado springs, I think it might be a bit cold by now & I'd need a better long distance bike!

Avocet,
I do enjoy the area. Hopefully I'll get out a few more times before it freezes over, maybe find a few destinations for you to add. Max treated me well on the work I had done there.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
juliandres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Why is it that I don't ever see the F800R ? I feel like that bike is hugely underrated I find it beautiful! Anyway, awesome pictures , from Florida keep riding and sharing those sites!

Also, what kind of work were you doing with the electric motorcycle company? That sounds like my dream job, currently a mechanical engineering major at Florida State!
juliandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
xxguitarist OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliandres View Post
Why is it that I don't ever see the F800R ? I feel like that bike is hugely underrated I find it beautiful! Anyway, awesome pictures , from Florida keep riding and sharing those sites!

Also, what kind of work were you doing with the electric motorcycle company? That sounds like my dream job, currently a mechanical engineering major at Florida State!
Don't know why they're as rare as they are, but it's lots of fun!

Will keep posting photos as I get them.

I was doing some race team stuff, some systems testing, lots of reliability testing, some motor tuning. Also worked with the battery team for a bit. Company is Brammo. Great job, fun people, and over 10k miles in my two years there without gas. It's annoying now having to go to the gas station!