Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #226
Crank-it
Back-Off

Oddometer: 15
Dresch Mystery - Let's get tanked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
You hav a good eye for detail. It seems Dresch built several bikes. I'm convinced the tank is from a Dresch, maybe the picture I chose to post is not the exact model.

Here is some more information on Dresch

http://www.zabytkowemotocykleirowery.pl/dresch/en

Kedgi
Jimmy (the guy who identified the tank as coming from a Dresch) noted the differences and said he was quite sure it was a Dresch, but from a different model, or different year.

Once again, if any inmates have a closer match, I am sure we would all love to see it. Let's help Bud solve this mystery! There has to be a photo of this bike out there somewhere.

Tom
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #227
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Well, lookee here.

Kedge,
Was perusin the forums and was surprised to see you are off again. Good for you, man. I'm sure when the real weather sets in back east you'll be glad to get south again after Christmas. Will be following with envy. Be safe and lucky.
Toad
Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #228
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Fuel pump.

I'm just sayin'. Warrantee it now.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #229
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Safe and Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Kedge,
Was perusin the forums and was surprised to see you are off again. Good for you, man. I'm sure when the real weather sets in back east you'll be glad to get south again after Christmas. Will be following with envy. Be safe and lucky.
Toad

Be Safe and Lucky...........now there is some good advice!

Glad you are along for the ride, Toad

It is -2C this morning with a windchill of -8 in beautiful downtown Shediac. Winter starts in another month. Shortly after that it will be time to head south again. Looks like Miss Angele will come to Texas with me to see Bud, meet Virginia and check out Port Aransas. That will be fun!

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 01:49 AM
Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #230
Kedgi OP
Banned

Warrantee it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheLocal View Post
I'm just sayin'. Warrantee it now.

Can you elaborate?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #231
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-it View Post
Jimmy (the guy who identified the tank as coming from a Dresch) noted the differences and said he was quite sure it was a Dresch, but from a different model, or different year.

Once again, if any inmates have a closer match, I am sure we would all love to see it. Let's help Bud solve this mystery! There has to be a photo of this bike out there somewhere.

Tom

I agree. I am convinced Bud's tank is from a Dresch, it is just a question of what particular model.

Kedgi
Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #232
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Be Safe and Lucky...........now there is some good advice!

Glad you are along for the ride, Toad

It is -2C this morning with a windchill of -8 in beautiful downtown Shediac. Winter starts in another month. Shortly after that it will be time to head south again. Looks like Miss Angele will come to Texas with me to see Bud, meet Virginia and check out Port Aransas. That will be fun!

Kedgi
Hehe. I may have said lucky because you may become well aware of the tempermentality of "exotic" bikes. Someone mentioning the ethanol characteristic of sucking moisture out of the air and causing bad running had me sit up straight. Many times thru the States I seemed to have bad running corrected on my NTX by dumping a gas additive into the tank. As it's hard to get around the additional ethanol anywhere in the States, it may have been on of the small annoyances I wondered about. And, down south where there is much more humidity, it makes sense. Combined with new stock bikes being tuned super lean to pass EPA standards it makes even more sense. My addition of the PC5 and AT prolly not only woke up what was missing from my bike, it also allowed the Autotune to adjust for whatever is going into the tank.
But, there have been numerous documentations of fuel pump failures with the KTMs. Your would be warranty but unless there is evidence of impending failure, I don't think they'll cover it.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #233
KipperMatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I've been looking at that tank and then at all the Dresch tanks I can see. I don't see a match. The Dresch logo has always been a circle, or an arc.
The sweeping section on the side of your tank reminds me so much of my Royal Enfield, but the slot down the middle of the tank doesnt suit Enfield.

I'm going to still look deeper. Any markings anywhere? any chance of an underside picture?

Ride on Dwight... From KipperMatic in Ontario..
Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #234
Kedgi OP
Banned

Tank's in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperMatic View Post
I've been looking at that tank and then at all the Dresch tanks I can see. I don't see a match. The Dresch logo has always been a circle, or an arc.
The sweeping section on the side of your tank reminds me so much of my Royal Enfield, but the slot down the middle of the tank doesnt suit Enfield.

I'm going to still look deeper. Any markings anywhere? any chance of an underside picture?

Ride on Dwight... From KipperMatic in Ontario..

The tank is at Bud's place in TX. He may be able to post more photos.

Kedgi
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #235
Kedgi OP
Banned

Eh? Carbon

I got a call from Wild West Honda in Katy tonight. I missed the call but they were kind enough to leave a message.....They say the bike is all carboned up. They say if I put injector cleaner in it, for the next few tanks it will be fine.

They checked the valves, rear cyl was out a bit and they shimmed it and did the regular maintenance including a new chain and sprockets and rear tire and and oil change. It should be good to go when i go back in January

It may be that all the miles of highway droning I have done this Summer, combined with ethanol fuel have carboned it up. Going to have to blast it harder from time to time, I guess.

I should be able to learn more tomorrow about what they found when i call to pay my bill.

My friend Bud is going to pick the bike up and store it in his garage until i get back down there.

Thanks Bud

Kedgi
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #236
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Hehe. I may have said lucky because you may become well aware of the tempermentality of "exotic" bikes. Someone mentioning the ethanol characteristic of sucking moisture out of the air and causing bad running had me sit up straight. Many times thru the States I seemed to have bad running corrected on my NTX by dumping a gas additive into the tank. As it's hard to get around the additional ethanol anywhere in the States, it may have been on of the small annoyances I wondered about. And, down south where there is much more humidity, it makes sense. Combined with new stock bikes being tuned super lean to pass EPA standards it makes even more sense. My addition of the PC5 and AT prolly not only woke up what was missing from my bike, it also allowed the Autotune to adjust for whatever is going into the tank.
But, there have been numerous documentations of fuel pump failures with the KTMs. Your would be warranty but unless there is evidence of impending failure, I don't think they'll cover it.
They are temperamental. I hope I don't have to get into modifying power curves etc, I am encouraged by how much better it worked just on some Seafoam. Wild West Honda says Carbon,.... maybe all the highway miles this Summer?

I'm just glad they say it is ready to go.

Kedgi
Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #237
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Ya, the whole carbon thing says you were getting lots of fuel. Air or spark may have been the cause. Someone down there should keep test riding it for you.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #238
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
I think I would want some better answers from the dealer. If this problem were due to humidity and ethanol, then every bike in the Gulf Coastal area from Key West to Houston would be stuck on the side of the road.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #239
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Exactly. Ethanol doesn't hurt modern engines designed to run with modern fuels. 50,000 trouble free ethanol fueled miles on my current ride.

Oh, take a look at most of those additives to remove water from "bad gas" odds are it alcohol.
IBA #33260
Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #240
Mehaniotis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Sea foam is not a product for stabilizing fuel. It's primary use is for helping carbs stay clean and at times it might unclog a plugged jet or passage in carbs.
I wouldn't be banking on Sea Foam .JMO.
Closed Thread