ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #46
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,487
I'm just along for the ride. Riding with a n00b just means you get to turn around and hit the good stuff twice.....
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #47
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
what? no defined plan?

I thought we had a plan...to ride

I have no idea about Turkey Bay but it sounds like a chance to fall down so might as well try it.

So in the spring, we stayed mostly to the north right? Looks like there are plenty of trails to hit on the south end.

Matt do you have route accessible online anywhere? Anybody else have thoughts on routes? How is everybody riding in?

Just call me Captn Asks-A-lot-of-Questions today.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #48
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,873
Hey, Captn Asks-A-lot-of-Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
what? no defined plan?

I thought we had a plan...to ride
That's all the plan I need!

Quote:
I have no idea about Turkey Bay but it sounds like a chance to fall down so might as well try it.
I've never been, and I'd like to check it out one day. If this time, great; if not, no biggie!

Quote:
So in the spring, we stayed mostly to the north right? Looks like there are plenty of trails to hit on the south end.
Correct, all of the tracks I recorded are above 68.

Quote:
Matt do you have route accessible online anywhere? Anybody else have thoughts on routes? How is everybody riding in?
Are you asking if I have what we rode in the spring online? yes!

MidTN@LBL.ride - Spring 2013 Friday Ride
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=112718
MidTN@LBL.ride - Spring 2013 Saturday Ride
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=112720
MidTN@LBL.ride - Spring 2013 Sunday Ride
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=112721

I also have these potential routes that I put together before the last event. Use at your own risk:

5 loops
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=109415
The North
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=109418
Top to Tip
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=109156
Street Route
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=108503
Waypoints
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=108502

I have not put anything new together for this ride, but you can't go wrong. I normally just follow Troy, but recently decided to start making a better effort to "lead." I blame Ken (different Ken!) and Wallachian Spikes after the followed me throughout much of the LBL200.

I'm not sure who I'm going to ride in yet. If my buddy Matt goes with, I'll probably meet him in Cumberland City and tool around to end up at Piney. If not, maybe bomb in from the East (via Bumpus Mills) and then wind back down to Piney.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #49
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Thx Matt. You interpreted well :)
I have not explored dual sport maps and did not know you could post your tracks online. Cool!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #50
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Thx Matt. You interpreted well :)
I have not explored dual sport maps and did not know you could post your tracks online. Cool!
Hi-ya Draino.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #51
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
Hi-ya Draino.
As of right now looks like I'm working that Saturday but will try and meet up sometime.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
As of right now looks like I'm working that Saturday but will try and meet up sometime.
Can I borrow the Duc?
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #53
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
Can I borrow the Duc?
DAMN! Was going to call Dibs! Oh well, I need to test out the new clutch basket and stuff on the Strom anyway!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #54
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
Hi-ya Draino.
Getcha some camping gear and come join us
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #55
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

!

There are currently only three reservations for camp sites: my own, DRM, and TroyJ. If you are planning on camping, you will probably want to either find someone to split an existing site with, or reserve a site!

See you guys in a few days!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #56
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
There are currently only three reservations for camp sites: my own, DRM, and TroyJ. If you are planning on camping, you will probably want to either find someone to split an existing site with, or reserve a site!

See you guys in a few days!
I just got back from attempting to reserve the weekend at Pineys' front gate with cash. We are finally 110% DEBT FREE & we celebrated by cutting the credit card up into 50 pieces. They are evil things that can ruin your life & I couldn't be happier to be done with it & finished once & for all with the whole credit scam.

LBL is a National Park so that means it is ran by the Federal Government. Therefore I was not shocked to find out that they are so poorly organized that they can't take cash or make reservations at the gate. I didn't think to ask why the government was paying TWO employees to work the gate or why they even bothered to have a gate. Perhaps it is time for a "No taxation without representation" movement?

I don't live very far from Piney & I WILL be there even if I have to ride in each day. However, I'd love to camp out & will gladly re-emburse half the fee anyone has paid if I can set up my tent in their spot. I just got a 4 man tent that will have plenty of room if someone wants to toss their sleeping bag inside but, I have a rule that we both sleep in at least shorts as sleeping in "the Raw" might start an ugly rumor.

I'll be bringing chicken fruit again but, our flock is smaller now & it won't be over 100 like last time but, we should get at least a good breakfast on Saturday. I'll also bring 2 loaves of bread & a tub of country crock but, my toaster just crapped the bed, so someone please bring one.

10 day weather forecast looks good for 11/8-10 with only 10% chance of rain on Sunday only & very nice high 50s during the days & cold nights but, still above freezing. An insulated pad under the sleeping bag & perhaps an extra blanket or 2 & I will sleep like a baby. I'll be trucking in on Fri. & out on Sun. just like last time, so extra gear will not be a problem. Actually I expect to be even more comfortable with my bigger tent. The nights will be a "bit" colder this time but, I was actually kicking blankets off last time.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #57
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
However, I'd love to camp out & will gladly re-emburse half the fee anyone has paid if I can set up my tent in their spot.

10 day weather forecast looks good for 11/8-10 with only 10% chance of rain on Sunday only & very nice high 50s during the days & cold nights but, still above freezing.
No worries, we'll find a home for you.

I looked at the historical data for the May campout, it looks like it will be about 8 degrees cooler than in the spring. I was comfortable in my hammock, but my feet got a bit cool. This time out, I'll have an underquilt that should help out with the temperature drop, and I'm planning on throwing some hot hands in my sleeping bag.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #58
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,282
Not sure if something's up with the reservation site or if it's because it's after 10/31/13 but you can't click on the area where site 281 is or one of the nearby electric loops. I'll give them a call tomorrow - my plan was to bring the camper and get an electric site that backed up to the corner where 281 is.
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #59
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,487
I'll be there sometime Friday night. Trucking up, the WR don't do the interstate.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #60
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Not sure if something's up with the reservation site or if it's because it's after 10/31/13 but you can't click on the area where site 281 is or one of the nearby electric loops. I'll give them a call tomorrow - my plan was to bring the camper and get an electric site that backed up to the corner where 281 is.
Lisa, is that the "RA" spot? I think that's the permanent local resident that manages the camp ground. I apologize for not getting a loop that any available electric, I'll be sure to do that in the future.

There does appear to be an available camper spot on the Loblolly loop. 276 and 236 are both pretty close. The "RA" spot that I think you were looking at is on the left side, it's numbers 279 on the Loblolly reservations map.

Sorry again!