ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #91
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy
 
threadkiller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White House, Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,761
Y'all can have the night rides. The deer are looking for love right now and they'll be everywhere.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #92
sandalscout OP
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Y'all can have the night rides. The deer are looking for love right now and they'll be everywhere.

oh... um... yeah, duh.... my history doesn't bode well for that either.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #93
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly
 
iyaoyas98's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Smyrna, TN
Oddometer: 5,831
The sunset makes my whiskey bottle open. It's weird.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #94
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy
 
threadkiller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White House, Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,761
Hell it makes sense to me. The sun is always setting somewhere.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #95
drm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
drm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: gallatin, tn
Oddometer: 388
I hope you guys don't turn into pumkins too after midnight...
__________________
2007 KLX250S
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #96
PsychoChem
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PsychoChem's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Oddometer: 132
Bike problems....

Ok so my foray into changing my own tires is not going too well......First issue was apparently the Shinko 244 has one of the toughest beads to break....I found this out after nothing I watched on youtube making it look easy was working and found this on ADV about it (just a happy warning since I know a bunch of us use that tire and if we get a flat on the trail....lookout....): http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5295&page=5206

I eventually took a bench vice to the tire to squish it enough to get an iron under it and get the bead off.....after that it was pretty easy to get the tire off. My problem now is that I keep pinching tubes putting the tire back on, specifically during the last few iron pulls to seat the tire. I have punctured through my 2 rear tubes so now I have to wait until tomorrow to buy more....and this is just the rear tire....still have the front to do tomorrow if I ever get the rear done....any tips? I really want to do this myself since I frequently ride myself and I always thought "if I get a flat out here, I have tubes and irons but NO idea what to do" so I have to learn to do this....
__________________
2011 Suzuki DR650SE
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
2003 KDX 200
PsychoChem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #97
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy
 
threadkiller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White House, Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,761
Air the tube up just enough for it to hold it's shape. You want it to almost crease when it rests on your index finger.

FYI, next time you need to break a bead, set a 2x4 under the rim and use the sidestand of your other bike to press on the tire.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #98
PsychoChem
Gnarly Adventurer
 
PsychoChem's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Air the tube up just enough for it to hold it's shape. You want it to almost crease when it rests on your index finger.

FYI, next time you need to break a bead, set a 2x4 under the rim and use the sidestand of your other bike to press on the tire.
Tried the airing up the tire thing, it still ended up getting wedged between the iron and the tire at points and ripping.....and I'll give the sidestand thing a shot on the front tire but I have my doubts after seeing how even with the bench vise the tire didn't want to break!
__________________
2011 Suzuki DR650SE
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
2003 KDX 200
PsychoChem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #99
drm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
drm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: gallatin, tn
Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post
Tried the airing up the tire thing, it still ended up getting wedged between the iron and the tire at points and ripping.....and I'll give the sidestand thing a shot on the front tire but I have my doubts after seeing how even with the bench vise the tire didn't want to break!
TK has it right on airing up the tube just enough to crease. Also...lots of baby powder and make sure the tube is tucked way in before you put a spoon to it. I end up using at least 3 spoon and sometimes 4 since i have them.

You could always get some tube patches and get some practice patching the tubes you are pinching


Keep trying, you'll get it.
__________________
2007 KLX250S
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #100
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly
 
iyaoyas98's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Smyrna, TN
Oddometer: 5,831
Yeah.

It's like $20 a tire at the shop if you carry the whole wheel in off the bike.
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #101
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy
 
threadkiller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White House, Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post
Tried the airing up the tire thing, it still ended up getting wedged between the iron and the tire at points and ripping.....and I'll give the sidestand thing a shot on the front tire but I have my doubts after seeing how even with the bench vise the tire didn't want to break!
The front tire will fall off in comparison to the rear.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #102
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction
 
HappyCRNA's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,681
HappySon is staying home this weekend, so I won't be carting him to Turkey Bay.

MagicMike, sorry to hear about the tire... good luck getting it all figured out. Wanna use my AAA card?
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #103
ihatefalling
Let it roll
 
ihatefalling's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post
Ok so my foray into changing my own tires is not going too well......First issue was apparently the Shinko 244 has one of the toughest beads to break....I found this out after nothing I watched on youtube making it look easy was working and found this on ADV about it (just a happy warning since I know a bunch of us use that tire and if we get a flat on the trail....lookout....): http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5295&page=5206

I eventually took a bench vice to the tire to squish it enough to get an iron under it and get the bead off.....after that it was pretty easy to get the tire off. My problem now is that I keep pinching tubes putting the tire back on, specifically during the last few iron pulls to seat the tire. I have punctured through my 2 rear tubes so now I have to wait until tomorrow to buy more....and this is just the rear tire....still have the front to do tomorrow if I ever get the rear done....any tips? I really want to do this myself since I frequently ride myself and I always thought "if I get a flat out here, I have tubes and irons but NO idea what to do" so I have to learn to do this....
FWIW I've changed dozens of tires - IMO, these are the secrets that MUST be followed .....without exception.

A little air in the tube to hold it's shape.

tons of lube all over the bead - make sure you get lube on the "bottom" of the bead, this is where the tire actually slides against the rim. seems like most people only lube the "front" of the bead....make sense?

Most important of all - that part of the tire that is directly across from your irons MUST MUST be squeezed into the dish of the rim. The front and backside of the tire has to be squeezed into the rim - as far as you can get it. Sometimes if the tire is being a bitch i will c-clamp it so i can get it into the dish. If you skimp on this step - forget it

Insert irons - not too deep - just deep enough to grab the rim

take small bites with your irons - always making sure the other side of the tire is in the dish. <--- IMPORTANT

cussing out BajaDoug during the process won't make it go smoother but will make you feel better
__________________
We gunna debitchulate you boy . . . .
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #104
ihatefalling
Let it roll
 
ihatefalling's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 3,280
and if you start eating tires like BLT eats boogers, then get you one of these

__________________
We gunna debitchulate you boy . . . .
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #105
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer
 
Wallachian Spikes's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Y'all can have the night rides. The deer are looking for love right now and they'll be everywhere.
YUM, Forest Lobster! Did you know that it's legal to harvest the meat from a vehicular/venison collision? Firearms are forbidden at LBL but, with a trusty blade on each of our belts one of us should be able to run an injured lobster down & field dress it while the rest of the group tends to the injured rider.

I don't know about you guys but, if I get busted up from a lobster collision I'd hope that my friends cared enough to see to it that I at least got a leg quarter out of the deal. Besides it's not like any of us are going to deliberately strike a deer at 60 MPH (30 mph sure but, not 60) & if it does happen, how can you argue that it wasn't the lords will & he wanted you to have that meat?

I don't see any negatives in a night ride. Besides it's been proven that drunks crash well cuz they don't react fast enough to tense up on impact. It's Judo 101 you just relax & let the air "push out" of your lungs on impact. How many times have you seen a UFC fighter get horrifically SLAMMED & he jumps up like nothing happened? It's science.

Ride well, crash well......& happy hunting.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014