User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
samslow OP
always learning

Oddometer: 168
Getting my licence in Ottawa

Its about time i got this sorted. We're now settling in nicely from the UK but ive not had time yet to sort my bike licence. Car licence is all sorted. Ive spoken to the drive test centre when i swapped my driving licence and they say the will honour my UK experience.
So im led to believe i just do the written test and then i go straight to the Level 2 road test.
Has anyone else done this swapover?

Regarding a bike im unsure the best way to proceed. Ive held off buying one as im going to look for a winter bargain.
Can i hire a bike purely for doing the test on?
If i wanted to do the test on a bike of my own surely that makes it complicated as it has to be insured, plated, stickered etc by me, but can i do that even though i havent passed my test yet?

Also ive heard of the term 'blue plated' what does that mean?
Im hoping to go straight back to a big ktm 950 again but i may get a smaller 525 or something too i can offroad as well as onroad ride. Is there any bikes out there that cant be ridden legally on the road?

And i know snows coming so i might be tight for time getting this done too

thanks in advance
Sam
samslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,958
Hi Sam, yes you can plate and insure a bike without a license.

A blue plate means street legal. A green plate means trail legal.

I know of a sweet 640adv for sale....

Any bike already blue plated in Ontario or blunt plated by manufacture is good to go. Don't buy, example, a Ktm 525 as UT wasn't blue plated in Ontario...Unless the chap you buy it from has it grand daddied in the system.

Ktm 450,,530 and 500 are blue plated. 400 and 525 are not.

Bmw 450 is.
Some Husaberg are.
Some Husquarvarnas are.

That's about it for proper dirt bikes. Like i said...buy one th at is already blue plated and you won't have an issue

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,021
I doubt you can hire a bike without a license for the test. Might get away with it by only showing your UK permit.

Don't know who you'd hire one from, though. A Harley, maybe?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by samslow View Post
Its about time i got this sorted. We're now settling in nicely from the UK but ive not had time yet to sort my bike licence. Car licence is all sorted. Ive spoken to the drive test centre when i swapped my driving licence and they say the will honour my UK experience.
So im led to believe i just do the written test and then i go straight to the Level 2 road test.
Has anyone else done this swapover?

Regarding a bike im unsure the best way to proceed. Ive held off buying one as im going to look for a winter bargain.
Can i hire a bike purely for doing the test on?
If i wanted to do the test on a bike of my own surely that makes it complicated as it has to be insured, plated, stickered etc by me, but can i do that even though i havent passed my test yet?

Also ive heard of the term 'blue plated' what does that mean?
Im hoping to go straight back to a big ktm 950 again but i may get a smaller 525 or something too i can offroad as well as onroad ride. Is there any bikes out there that cant be ridden legally on the road?

And i know snows coming so i might be tight for time getting this done too

thanks in advance
Sam
Once you do a written test you can ride the bike.

As said, you don't need a license to buy a bike. So if you came a cross a bike now or during the winter you could buy it, Wait till spring and write your test and you can then ride it.

Not sure who has bikes for hire around here, but they may require a full license to rent it.

I'v done several road tests over the years for different class licenses, I have always had a much easier time if you do your test at a smaller centre out of town. usually easier to get an appointment too.
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
samslow OP
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Hi Sam, yes you can plate and insure a bike without a license.

A blue plate means street legal. A green plate means trail legal.

I know of a sweet 640adv for sale....

Any bike already blue plated in Ontario or blunt plated by manufacture is good to go. Don't buy, example, a Ktm 525 as UT wasn't blue plated in Ontario...Unless the chap you buy it from has it grand daddied in the system.

Ktm 450,,530 and 500 are blue plated. 400 and 525 are not.

Bmw 450 is.
Some Husaberg are.
Some Husquarvarnas are.

That's about it for proper dirt bikes. Like i said...buy one th at is already blue plated and you won't have an issue
Hi Ted
funny you say that about 525 s because i was looking at one saftied and legal on kijiji earlier on which looked tempting!
I must admit i do have a soft spot for the lc4 having owned 2 already. I do think they started off my lower back/numb ass symptoms though because they're so vibey

As far as hiring goes i meant like a training school that people use for getting their licences.

It looks like im gonna just have to buy something then.

So if i for instance bought a big old 950 im allowed to ride that for my test? Only trouble is when i ring up to insure it do i say i have a lower spec licence or full?
So i can get it stickered , insured and plated without passing my test first! that helps

right got my revision books on i go!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
tat2
where's ya too?

Oddometer: 104
It sucks you have to to the whole process, but it'll be easy for you.

As for hiring/renting a bike. A quick google search only revealed Freedom Harley Davison doing rentals. Most schools bikes are not road legal since it is a parking lot test. For the road test you use your own.

Now here is the real sucky part, as far as I know Drivetest stopped M1exit (to get M2) & M2exit road tests (to get a full M) Oct 15th. Call to be sure. My wife wanted to do her M2exit last Oct after we returned from a vacation, only to find out they stopped testing the day we got back.

You can still do the written test to get an M1 but it is only good for 60days.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
You can still do the written test to get an M1 but it is only good for 60days.
Yes, but you can renew multiple times after the 60 days have expired, so if conditions allow, you''ll be able to continue riding all winter.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
The M1 license is good for 90 days, not 60. It's not renewable. You must take your M2 exam within the 90 days of the M1 period, or you have to start all over.

Since you don't have a bike, the simplest way is to take a weekend riding course at a community college and on the second day of that course, you will take the M2 test on site and if you pass (test is very easy held in a parking lot with lines and cones.) you will get your M2 license which is valid for 5 years. You must get your full M license within the 5 years or you have to start all over again. A bike is provided when you take a course, but you must supply your own riding gear.

Once you write your M1 test, you can take the M2 weekend course / test but must wait until the 61 day after taking your M1 to go to the Ministry of Transportation to submit the paperwork for upgrading your license to M2. If you have had an M1 license that has expired, and have obtained another M1, in such a case, you need not wait until the 61 day after obtaining it to upgrade your license to M2 status.

If you have taken an accredited course, some insurance companies will give you a discount off your rate, and also this permits you to take the M2 exit exam to get your full M license after 18 months of having the M2. If you did not take a course to get your M2, you must wait 24 months before taking the M exam.

The M exam is a road test. You can also take that test through a community college.

http://www.motorcyclecourse.com/m2_ottawa.html
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
What was the process to transfer your UK auto drivers license? Wouldn't the motorcycle class be transferred with the auto?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
samslow OP
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
What was the process to transfer your UK auto drivers license? Wouldn't the motorcycle class be transferred with the auto?
the uk and canada have a mutual agreement where they will basically swap your licence for a full new one in that country.
So i went to drive test centre and the took my UK licence off me and gave me a temporary paper G licence here and then my photocard came through few weeks later. Very easy
They dont however honour the motorcycle part. What they said was i get credit for my experience. So im led to believe i do the written test at the drive test centre then i can go straight to road test.
Im thinking now with the weather starting to change i may have missed my chance
Old 10-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The M1 license is good for 90 days, not 60. It's not renewable. You must take your M2 exam within the 90 days of the M1 period, or you have to start all over.

Since you don't have a bike, the simplest way is to take a weekend riding course at a community college and on the second day of that course, you will take the M2 test on site and if you pass (test is very easy held in a parking lot with lines and cones.) you will get your M2 license which is valid for 5 years. You must get your full M license within the 5 years or you have to start all over again. A bike is provided when you take a course, but you must supply your own riding gear.

Once you write your M1 test, you can take the M2 weekend course / test but must wait until the 61 day after taking your M1 to go to the Ministry of Transportation to submit the paperwork for upgrading your license to M2. If you have had an M1 license that has expired, and have obtained another M1, in such a case, you need not wait until the 61 day after obtaining it to upgrade your license to M2 status.

If you have taken an accredited course, some insurance companies will give you a discount off your rate, and also this permits you to take the M2 exit exam to get your full M license after 18 months of having the M2. If you did not take a course to get your M2, you must wait 24 months before taking the M exam.

The M exam is a road test. You can also take that test through a community college.

http://www.motorcyclecourse.com/m2_ottawa.html
All the above is true BUT......Starting over means you pay the fee again, write the test again, then you're good for another 60/90 days. I have a friend who hasn't felt ready to take the test and has done this a number of times.

It means you will be able to ride all winter (on the rare days when conditions permit) then take the first road test in the spring.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
samslow OP
always learning

just going back to buying a bike.
Im in Ontario so how does it work if i buy a bike now im not intending to insure/register etc till spring thats say from Quebec?
How does duty/tax work when buying from a different state?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by samslow View Post
just going back to buying a bike.
Im in Ontario so how does it work if i buy a bike now im not intending to insure/register etc till spring thats say from Quebec?
How does duty/tax work when buying from a different state?

If you buy a bike from a private seller you would just pay him the money and you would pay the tax when you license the bike in Ontario.

If you bought from a dealer in Quebec he may require you to pay the provincial tax on the bike. But he would also give you a form to fill out that is sent to the Quebec government to get your tax back. As you would then need to pay Ontario tax when you license it.

If I remember correctly you need to show prof to the Quebec government that taxes were in fact paid in Ontario.
pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
If you buy a bike from a private seller you would just pay him the money and you would pay the tax when you license the bike in Ontario.
Also, if the bike from Quebec has never been registered in Ontario, then the MOT charge sales tax on the receipt price, not the book value they use for vehicles which have been registered previously in Ontario.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
samslow OP
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Also, if the bike from Quebec has never been registered in Ontario, then the MOT charge sales tax on the receipt price, not the book value they use for vehicles which have been registered previously in Ontario.
Thanks for the replys

So just to clarify if i buy a bike in Quebec I pay sales tax when i register it in ontario on the amount the seller put down on my receipt? correct?
thanks