Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by qvasic View Post
I have a question: isn't it a problem to change side of the road on which you drive? I want to go to Australia and NZ someday, but I am scared by this a little bit.
No problem at all riding the bike

Quote:
I have been to India couple of years ago, and I was bumping into people on sidewalks because I instinctively walked on the right side.
but i am walking on the right side all the time

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
Maggno
Ride hard...

Oddometer: 273
I'm in.
20 Parties and 132 days around the world
Maggno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #18
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Back and forth

Back and forth

The next day, it should once again go back to John and Gael, as John had asked me if I wanted to see the movie "Dream Racer", about an Australian Guy taking part in the Dakar Rally. As the movie should only start in the evening I had time to explore the surroundings of my tent spot in Dellingup the whole first half of the day. According to a sign there should be a waterfall and a POW camp.

[IMG][/IMG]

First a walk to the waterfalls. It took me longer than I expected but I was back at the campsite after approximately 3 hours.

After this I preferred to drive to the POW camp by my motorcycle.
I packed up all my stuff and off I went. After 4 minutes, I was already in the camp. Hmm - Somehow I could have done it the other way around.

Out of the forest I choose the longest possible detour along more or less well-developed gravel roads, good they are all located on my GPS maps.
In the evening the movie was really well done and entertaining. After the movie John and I went to have something to eat with a few of his friends.
If you ever have the chance to use a washing machine while you are travelling, you should do it. So when we came back this was what I did :)
The next morning I set off to go camping in the Yalgorup National Park.

I stayed there for three nights, although mosquitoes almost ate me.
On the first afternoon I got a text message from Gael telling me I had forgotten some of my washings - oh no! So my further planning for the next days was a third visit at John and Gaels house :)
I although visited the nearby Preston Beach and it was time for me to test the sea if it suitable for swimming.

Moreover, there was also a circular bird watch trail and since I was awake at 6 o’clock the second morning I wanted to give it a try before breakfast.
Reported way should be 6 km long and you should need 2 hours. Sounded unrealistic to me.
After 2 hours I had no finished the trail, so it dawned on me that I probably had a wrong turn somewhere. Of course I neither had a map nor my GPS with my and my cell phone battery was empty. So there was nothing left to go all the way back again. By 10 clock I was back at the campsite.

The next morning I decamped to go back and collect my laundry. I did a small detour to the "main attraction" of the national park - the living stones.

Arrived at Gael and John, I collected my laundry and asked them for advise on the best mosquito repellent. And then I went shopping. I bought the two most powerful versions of what they had recommended to me.

On my next campground the chemistry was sorely needed since there where Ross River Virus warnings signs everywhere - a disease that is transmitted by mosquitoes.
John told me about this virus just the same day. There is no cure and the progress of disease can last over 3 years in extreme cases even over 10 years.
Due to the new repellent, I did not get a single stitch.
After I crawled into my tent I heard steps around the tent all the time but it was the wallabies I had previously seen.

The next day led me to Bunbury the largest city in Western Australia outside the metropolitan region of Perth.

For the next day I had an invitation from the HUBB by Helgo to go to Busselton about 50km away from Bunbury.

He lives there with his wife Helga and they enjoy their retirement. On a little motorcycle ride Helgo showed me some nice routes and places that I would otherwise have certainly not seen.

The next morning I tried to clean the coarsest dirt off the motorcycle.

After that it I still had enough time for exploring the area of Busselton. Among other things, I was at Cape Naturalist, at Bunker Bay Beach and again at Meelup Beach wich Helgo had shown me the day before.

On Meelup Beach I was wondering why so many people were sitting there with binoculars until I noticed that you could see whales with the naked eye from the beach - great experience, I've never seen them before.
I the evening we had, like the day before, a great BBQ and I could listen to some exciting stories from Helga & Helgos travel past - among other things, they drove a VW bus in 70s from Germany to Australia.
I said goodbye to Helga the next morning and went off with Helgo to another motorcycle tour. We went to Augusta the most southwestern city of Australia. For our way back north we chose the Caves Road, one of the most beautifully roads of Australia I have seen so far. When we got to the Jewel Cave it was time for me to say goodbye to Helgo as well, because he had to go back home and I wanted visit the cave.

Along the Caves Road there are so many limestone caves, but I was told the Jewel Cave should be the most beautiful one. What’s for sure it is the biggest Cave in Western Australia.

For my night rest I found a really nice arrange campground in the Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park.

The next day took me back further north one the Caves Road to the town of Dunsborough, I went there because next days attraction would be wrack diving.

[IMG][http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Q6QqrhQQcU...I0108.JPG/IMG]

The target was the HMAS Swan a 110-meter former ship of the Australian navy. After its exemption from military services the ship was sunken near Dunsborough as a diving spot. The dive was sensational. We went through the wrack on its full length.
There were so many fishes and corals it was amazing.
As a little add-on there even was whales that came as close as 5 meters to our diving boat. Even when we were in the water the whales came closely to us.

The next day brought the next attraction: Australians giant trees the Karris

Some of these trees have been modified to be used as lookouts to spot forest fires in the past. Now they can be climbed and I had to get up the highest one :)
You have to climb up on steal bars that are pushed into the wood around the tree. The gape between two bars is round about 30 cm and there is no safety so even I could fall through :)

I planed to spend some time at the nice beach of really quietly village of Peaceful Bay, but the weather had different plans it got rainy and cold.

Greetings
Dominik

Where am I ?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
more, please?.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #20
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 545
Subscribed.
Safe travels Dominik.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #21
AndytheElder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
My son-in-law is from Perth.Daughter married him there and worked in Australia for 3 years. My son and I vacationed with them in the same areas your RR has covered so far. Australia has the natural beauty they much of the rest of the world has sacrificed to development. Safe travels and keep the pictures coming please.
AndytheElder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #22
Hendo66
Hendo66

Oddometer: 150
Enjoying so far and loving your English, looks like you are heading east first? Wise choice avoiding the heat up north, are you planning on a full circle of Australia Dominik?

2008 BMW F800GS 2011 BMW R1200GS
Hendo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo66 View Post
Enjoying so far and loving your English, looks like you are heading east first? Wise choice avoiding the heat up north, are you planning on a full circle of Australia Dominik?

Sorry for the late answer have been out of cellphone range the whole time. Yes I am planing a full circle and the inner country aswell.

Where am I ?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Grant and Susan sure get around. I met them here in Ontario Canada at the HU meet in September. Hope you enjoyed the meet in AUS. Looking forward to more RR.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Adventure

What an adventure you are starting, and thanks for sharing. Only way it could be better was if I was there seeing all the sites, too. Maybe one day soon I can get down there to see them for myself, till then I will be enjoying your report.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
I'm in, have a safe trip. Lots of pictures please.

Ed
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
Burgo650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
loving the RR, safe travels
Burgo650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
Mr.JAJA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Super Report

I watch this from the California Side and plane to do this in 2 -3 years when I retire (Rente ich komme). Fahr vorsichtig und schreib weiter.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #29
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
You gotta watch that 'Bushmans' repellant, it'll melt bitumen at 400 paces....serious stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #30
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
You gotta watch that 'Bushmans' repellant, it'll melt bitumen at 400 paces....serious stuff
I've seen it blister paint on a table, and people put it on their skin

Ed
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote