Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #361
mattadv93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Yeah not wrong about coober pedy. I found it a really weird town when I drove through. Not really sure why it gets so recommended as a holiday destination.

-Husaberg FE570
mattadv93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #362
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Oddometer: 369
Form Coober Pedy I went on to Oodnadatta with a little detour trough the Painted Desert.

In Oodnadatta I had to stop at the iconic Pink Roadhouse. Their Oodnaburger was not anything special but it was not expensive as well.*

After I had answered lots of questions about the bike and me from a local group of kids I went on with new power.*

First for a little while on the Oodnadatta Track but I left it after only a few kilometres to get north. My destination foe the day was Dalhousie Springs.*

I arrived at this oasis just at the edge of the Simpsons Desert right before sunset. But there was still enough daylight left for a bath in the 39°C hot pool. Just the perfect place to relax after a day of dirt. When I came back to my tent I was invited to dinner and beer by my campground neighbor Mal and his kids – can a day end any better?

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #363
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Hey anybody my rear shock is history and I will need a replacement. Is there any of my Australian readers out there who has a F 800 GS 08-12 shock lying around and would like to sell it?

Where am I ?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #364
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 139
Hi Dominik,

Ah, too many corrugated outback roads for the shocky, eh?

I have one off my R1200 GS lying in the shed, give me an hour or so to suss out whether it's a chance or not.

Cheers
Brian L
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #365
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 139
Nope, the shock I have won't fit. DIfferent bolt sizes and the whole catastrophe. Not to mention the spring rate even if the shock did go on.

Good luck, I hope you don't have to sit around too long chasing up the parts.
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #366
AussieRocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hi Dom -

I have a rear shock assemly can you believe it. Its the original BMW one for the F800GS I took off when I had the hyperpro shock assembly fitted. (You will have to go from purple back to black!) Its never seen dirt - took it off when the bike was new a few weeks after I got it. PM me if you want to discuss the nitty gritty. Its a pity the shock didn't die while you were still at Mt Barker!!

Cheers
Rod
AussieRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #367
Mr.JAJA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by der-Seppel View Post
Coober Pedy it self looked really run down and wasn't the most welcoming place for me.
What came to my attention for the first time on this trip were all the Aborigines hanging around in town and waiting for the liquor stores to open.

One of the coolest things for me in Coober Pedy was a space ship form the movie Pitch Black. They made this movie in the area and somebody got the space ship afterwards and it is now in his frond yard.

So, Warum heissen die "Aborigines" Hier die Loesung, "Aber Originals"
Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #368
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

The next morning I left just after sunrise because it looked like rain.*

My first destination for the day was the Mt Dare Hotel to get fuel for my bike and some info's about the track condition. They told me there should not be any rain and the start of the Binns Track would be in good condition.

So I went on using the Old Andado Track (part of the Binns Track). This track goes for over 200 km trough the edge of the Simpsons Desert – I still hat riding in soft sand!*

My stop for the night was just somewhere next to the track because I was so exhausted I could not go on anymore. But it was still a good spot right below the Rodinga or Arookara Ranges – not sure which because the map was not that clear.*

Where am I ?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #369
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRocket View Post
Hi Dom -

I have a rear shock assemly can you believe it. Its the original BMW one for the F800GS I took off when I had the hyperpro shock assembly fitted. (You will have to go from purple back to black!) Its never seen dirt - took it off when the bike was new a few weeks after I got it. PM me if you want to discuss the nitty gritty. Its a pity the shock didn't die while you were still at Mt Barker!!

Cheers
Rod
Thanks to Rod I will be back on the road in a couple of days!

Where am I ?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #370
foggyred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
good onya aussierocket
foggyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #371
desert dog
scrub basher

Oddometer: 1,107
well done Dom, great photo's and it's good to see your keeping warm at night with a fire...............

cheers matty
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #372
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
I really like those first three photos! Very cool how the light changes from shot to shot.
Regards....justjeff
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #373
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

The next day with new strength I finished the remaining 150 km of the now easy track to Alice Springs.

After a bit of sightseeing in the city I went to my hosts Paul and Tammy in the afternoon.

For the sunset Paul took me to an unofficial lookout with the best view over the city.

Where am I ?
Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 AM   #374
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

After just one night I already leaved Alice Springs to go on. But first I made use of Pauls offer to use his pressure washer to clean my bike. It was absolutely necessary to wash the bike because it was covered in dirt.

With at least two kilogram less dirt on the bike I continued my trip to the tropical north. But I left Alice Springs in southern direction the same one I came in the day before. This time I used the Ross Highway to get to the Trephina Gorge. According to my map it is possible to swim in some waterholes in the gorge. I liked the idea of swimming so I call it a day after just 100 km. Unfortunately the complete gorge was dry with no sign of any water. But there were still some good hiking trails and it was a nice spot to camp for a night.

Where am I ?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #375
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,548
still jealous