Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #121
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Oddometer: 362
We all spend the 26th hang around, among others we had cocktails, beer and wine in the pool :)

On the 27th Gisela and me drove the 400km back to Adelaide. I said goodbye to Gies because my plan was to go on to Mount Barker to visit Rod and his wife Jenny.

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #122
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

At Mount Barker I helped Jenny with some of her German exercises in the morning.
In the afternoon Rod and I went on a small ride (over 200km) with our two F800GS.
On mainly minor roads we went from Mount Baker all the way down to Cape Jarvis.

From there we used some nice winding roads to get to Goolwa via Victor Harbor.

In Goolwa we decided to get on to the beach and ride all the way to the Murray Mouth.
Ron had never been on this beach with his motorbike before and I had not found the beach access the last time I have been there :)
So now was the perfect moment to do it. And it was quite helpful to be not to alone because we had to free both bikes from the sand, of course mine was the worst.

Where am I ?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #123
MisterMike24
Legal Alien

Oddometer: 24

MisterMike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:24 AM   #124
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

And here an invitation from Jenny: All friendly German travellers are warmly welcome to stay at their place for some German lessons in exchange.

On the 29th I rode to Mount Gambier. I started the 400kms from Mount Barker and crossed the Murray with a Ferry in Wellington. I followed the coastline most of the way down to Mount Gambier.

Somewhere on this road I saw a guy walking next to the street in a Stormtropper costume. I had to turn around and stop to ask the guy: why???

He is walking around Australia to fundraise money for a children's hospital. The Stormtrooper costume wouldn't make it any easier but the kids would love it :)
So I gave him some dollars and took another picture.

Tony (a mate of Trev) had invited me to stay overnight at his place in Mt Gambier and when I arrived Tony welcomed me with a campfire in the garden.

Perfect chance to warm up a little bit from the outside, because it was a quite cold that day and to cool down from the inside with a cold beer. In the evening when Tony's wife Virginia came back from work we had a lovely BBQ with really good wines out of the region.

Where am I ?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #125
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,163
Looks like The Cougar has been twisting the arms of local premium wine makers to have some of the region's best reds out for visitors..... (note for self - call into Mt Gambier on the way to the High Country later in the year)

Made by a half reasonable bike rider himself.........

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #126
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

The next day my destination was Portland in Victoria only a 100 km away. So I had to take some detours. First I visited the Blue Lake an old volcanic crater in Mount Gambier,

then to Mount Schank another volcano

and from there to Port MacDonnell the most southern point in South Australia.

From Port MacDonnell I first followed the coastline but then went inland into a national park and used some forestay roads to Portland.

Kym (Inmate XRman) had invited me to Portland, but he had no more space left in his house because all his daughters with their families were visiting so he asked his mate David if he had a spare bad he had.

In the evening he had a big BBQ with everybody like every time yummy! Have I mentioned I love Australian BBQs :)
Late over at David's place I got some route suggestions for the next days and for Tasmania.

Where am I ?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #127
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Looks like The Cougar has been twisting the arms of local premium wine makers to have some of the region's best reds out for visitors..... (note for self - call into Mt Gambier on the way to the High Country later in the year)

Made by a half reasonable bike rider himself.........

You are absolutely right Trev!

Where am I ?

der-Seppel screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 03:06 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #128
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

On New Years Eve my destination wasn't far away again. I booked a bed in a hostel in Port Ferry. So I had to find some detours, but Australia is big country so it was no problem :)
Because Mount Eccles National Park was close there were some rough tracks available.

I didn't use an official exit to get out off the park so I ended up in a forestay area. On one of the tracks it was really muddy and my bike slipped. I landed in the mud with my complete right side :)

Port Ferry was an absolutely different New Years Eve for me.
First thing it was warm.

Second there was a big parade in the town.

But drinking beer in the evening with all kinds of guests from the hostel was the same as everywhere else. AND I managed to miss the fireworks.

Where am I ?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #129
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

The New Year started with really bad weather and that's why the first half of the Great Ocean Road was really miserable. I only stop at some of the sights and decided quickly not to camp as planed.

So I stayed in a hostel for the second time on this journey. But shortly after I arrived at the backpacker hostel in Apollo Bay it stoped raining. But anyway I had an entertaining evening with the other guests.

Where am I ?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #130
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by der-Seppel View Post
The New Year started with really bad weather and that's why the first half of the Great Ocean Road was really miserable. I only stop at some of the sights and decided quickly not to camp as planed.
Hey Dom
We spent NY on the yacht and in the early hours it blew up like crazy.. I woke up to 40 kn howling winds.. freaky. The GOR is so beautiful in nice weather but when it gets nasty it is awful! Most of my time along there was crap.
I am so glad you are having so much fun and finding plenty of friendly Aussies to hang out with. Love reading of your adventures and seeing the pics (cept its giving me itchy feet)
Can't wait to see you at Ango in a few months!!! Promise we will make it this time.

Oooo and you should go to Fortesque National Park.. near Port Arthur. Great place to stay. That's where I met the Czech backpacker, Tomas. Look under the rocks for mussels ;)

nazza screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 01:27 AM
nazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 AM   #131
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

The next morning the weather had bettered so I could go on riding the Great Oceans Road. First I went a little bit back to where a came from the day before to do some of the forest roads David had recommended.

Unfortunately the GOR was packed with other tourists because of the holiday high season.
But I still made it to Geelong in time where I stayed with Pete and Helen, friends of Rod and Jenny. Guess what we had dinner - lamb chops BBQ lovely!
Later Pete and Helen showed me around Geelong on a walk with the dog.

Where am I ?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #132
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post
Oooo and you should go to Fortesque National Park.. near Port Arthur. Great place to stay. That's where I met the Czech backpacker, Tomas. Look under the rocks for mussels ;)
I have been there last night and after I came back form the hike to the cape (I started at 5:30 pm) I was so exhausted I forgot about the mussels :(
Today I left because I was surrounded by bogans running generators in the middle of the night or starting there boat engine at 4 am.
But still a lovely place.

Where am I ?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #133
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,293
Oh bugger! Such a nice place usually. Where are you sinking about ( going) ;) between tassie and april?

Sent from my ZTE T81 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #134
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

My plan for the afternoon was to use the ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula. So I spend the whole forenoon with Pete and Helen. And Helen cared really well for me additional to a rich breakfast and lunch she even gave me a box of cookies for my travels :)

The short ferry trip wasn't spectacular at all because there was no possibility to secure the bike I had to stay under deck. But there was another bike ride so I had a nice chat.

On the Mornington Peninsula David from Frankston had offered to be my guide.
When I arrived at around 4 pm I was quickly introduced to his family and then we went on a tour around the peninsula. Although the peninsula isn't that big it took use until after 8 pm.

Where am I ?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #135
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post
Where are you sinking about ( going) ;) between tassie and april?
First zigzagging round in Victoria. high country -> Melbourne -> high country
then zigzagging round in NSW up to south Queensland and from there inland back to SA

Where am I ?