User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician

Oddometer: 75
Jack of all trades or two aces...?

As I sit here in a waist high bath recovering from a riders worst nightmare (ass surgery) I find myself with ample time to waist on the ol' forums. So here goes:

I currently ride a fairly well outfitted '08 KLR. I'm about 2k away from being 100% adventure worthy, I.e. New suspension and some luggage. My last bike was a brand new 09' Triumph Daytona 675 with a bit of kit. Yeah, little but of a departure.

I sold the Daytona mostly for financial reasons, but also I just didn't have the time or weather here in the Willamette Valley to do it justice. 20k or so KLR miles later I miss the hell out of going fast. So much so that my buddies Ninja 650R seemed like a race bike to me last time I hopped on it. Herein lies the question: how many of you have experienced the same single cylinder blues and what did you do about it? Replace your current dual with something like a Tiger800xc or Beemer F800GS? Or did you decide to keep the KLR-DR-XR what have you and get a second bike for the fast stuff?

Right now I'm leaning towards dedicating the KLR as my on/off road adventure rig, and investing in something like the hideous as it is fun street triple. For those that went a similar path did you find one bike ended up gathering dust? If you went the one bike route did the high tech larger adv bike disappoint on the more difficult trails? Or the twisites for that matter? For the record, I currently commute, and ride a lot of shotgun OHV type trails on the KLR. Love the gravel and exploring single tracks but definitely want the ability to do some serious multi-day adventure trips. Cheers!
KillerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
I have a Tiger 1050 to compliment my DR650. That seems like a good combo to me. Tiger gets touring duty and "fun" rides, DR gets daily commuter duty and all dirt stuff. The 800XC could be a replacement for both I suppose but it'd be too nice of a bike for serious off road...at least for my abilities. I think the Street Triple would be a perfect compliment to the KLR.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
I am in the same "dilemma".

Currently have a G650x-challenge. It is a pretty good all-around bike. Can hop on the highway for a quick commute with no problems (10 miles) strap some bags to it and go (lightweight) camping, can handle ATV trails and some single track.

But I miss my ducati

My bro bought a F800GS and sold it shortly after (for a husky 449) it was an excellent tourer that could handle maintained gravel with ease but a pig in true single track. Fun enough on asphalt but not "fast" by sport bike standards.

I stop by the triumph/ducati/ktm shop my buddy works at frequently. If I had the money and time I would have one of each.

My other problem is 2 fresh kids so my riding time is cut significantly. I was going to take a week and just go get lost in southern mo/arkansas but work and kids got in the way. I can't really justify a 2nd bike right now so I am sticking with the X challenge unless someone invents a better all around bike that can do everything better.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
I have a KLX250S and a Tiger 955I at the moment. Pretty far apart, one great on the street and fine on dirt, the other great on dirt and OK on the highway. I don't fins myself riding the KLX as much since I got the tiger.
I have had a KLR650, XT600, and F650GS single in the past and the F650GS was the best of those three as far as jack of all trades, way better on the highway and considerably better on the dirt than the KLR.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 826
I mean, this is a motorcycle forum, right? Here's how the math works out:

Having 2 bikes is better than having 1 bike. Having 3 bikes is even better. Beyond 3, I think you begin to see some diminishing returns in terms of cost to own and space to store all the bikes, plus you can easily spend more time wrenching than riding with a whole stable full of bikes.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
As I sit here in a waist high bath recovering from a riders worst nightmare (ass surgery) I find myself with ample time to waist on the ol' forums. So here goes:

I currently ride a fairly well outfitted '08 KLR. I'm about 2k away from being 100% adventure worthy, I.e. New suspension and some luggage. My last bike was a brand new 09' Triumph Daytona 675 with a bit of kit. Yeah, little but of a departure.

I sold the Daytona mostly for financial reasons, but also I just didn't have the time or weather here in the Willamette Valley to do it justice. 20k or so KLR miles later I miss the hell out of going fast. So much so that my buddies Ninja 650R seemed like a race bike to me last time I hopped on it. Herein lies the question: how many of you have experienced the same single cylinder blues and what did you do about it? Replace your current dual with something like a Tiger800xc or Beemer F800GS? Or did you decide to keep the KLR-DR-XR what have you and get a second bike for the fast stuff?

Right now I'm leaning towards dedicating the KLR as my on/off road adventure rig, and investing in something like the hideous as it is fun street triple. For those that went a similar path did you find one bike ended up gathering dust? If you went the one bike route did the high tech larger adv bike disappoint on the more difficult trails? Or the twisites for that matter? For the record, I currently commute, and ride a lot of shotgun OHV type trails on the KLR. Love the gravel and exploring single tracks but definitely want the ability to do some serious multi-day adventure trips. Cheers!
To answer your question, nope.

I'd rather dedicate a weekend to riding either dirt or street and have the best tool for the job. That's not to say my dirtbike (WR426) hasn't seen the interstate, and my streetbike (Speed Triple) hasn't seen gravel, but you get the idea.

I do alot more street in the hot months, and go wrestle in the woods when it cools off. Works for me.

iyaoyas98 screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 01:21 PM
iyaoyas98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Aah5
russ

Oddometer: 56
It's always good to have a bike that is best suited to the riding that you are planning, myself I have a Triumph GT for touring(solo & 2up), MZ Skorpion 'Sport'(best handling bike ever owned and I have had a few) for having fun through the hills and a couple of vintage trials bikes for mucking around in the bush. No enduro or dualsporter as I tend to ride too aggressively on those and usually end up on the ground too often.
Aah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Get a Speed triple for the street!!! Those bikes are awesome!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician

Ahhh, yes. Three bikes would certainly be the perfect solution. Unfortunately I think the odds of me affording any three bikes are about the same as those three bikes being a Desmosedicci, KTM1190, and a jet pack. Some day...
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerD View Post
Replace your current dual with something like a Tiger800xc or Beemer F800GS?
Yup.
It started with XR600R for hard core dirt, street and everything in between
Then XR600 for dirt and KLR for street and everything in between
Then KTM 450 for dirt
Then I realized the KTM did better on the "everything in between" than the KLR did, and was not that much worse on the street
Now it's KTM 450 for dirt and a little bit of street and everything in between, and Tiger 800XC for street.

Four is my goal: Street bike, dual sport, two stroke dirt bike and trials bike. I'm almost there with five, down from seven a couple of months ago
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,375
I would think that if you were going with 2 bikes, the KLR would be too large for the dirt bike. For that use, I would want something smaller that can be tossed around, yet retain some highway capability. A DR650 would be a good choice on the big side, and a DR350 on the lighter side. Either can be outfitted with extensive racks such as the MMoto rack.

If you go that route, I would stop upgrading the KLR before you get too much deeper into it. You can probably find a fast street bike for what you are about to pay for suspension. A friend of mine just bought a Suzuki RF900 for $1400, but I would recommend something more advanced such as a CBR600 or something.

For the single bike route (I have limited space), I went with an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, and added racks and a skid plate. It isn't as dirt worthy as the KLR, but it gets me into the woods just fine. It is also quite a bit faster than a KLR, with more than 90hp, so it satisfies my speed needs. I think the Triumph 800XC would fit the bill even better, but cost quite a bit more than I paid.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Wraith Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
I have my fast touring bike and recently bought me a Grizzly to gather dust with.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
bikes are relatively cheap these days; I say diversify. If anything else, you more evenly distribute the miles between multiple bikes and not only will they last longer will less miles, but they're being used for a specific application such as they are designed.
For instance -

I have five bikes at the moment, all of which have reasonably specific applications

KTM525 - exclusively for racing and off road riding
Speed Triple - weekend hooliganism, trackdays and commuting
BMW 1150GS - travel, groceries, commuting
CB400F x 2 - scratches the vintage itch for me and my wife loves them

I need something like a Bonneville to fill in my streetbike gap though....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
KillerD OP
BoozeMagician

After some deep craigslisting it seems that SV650's are cheap as dirt right now. I've got a soft spot for the SVS as it was my first bike, and they aren't hard to make fast. Think I may keep pimpin' the ol KLR out as my adventure rig for now and throw an SV into the stable after tax season....
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Jack of all trades or two aces...?

Same boat, I had a KLR and found it to be OK at a few things, and not good at most. I don't ride that much dirt since there isn't that much around me, but I have a 1200GS which covers gravel, commuting to work, and touring 2 up with my wife.

Then there's my 900SS for twisty roads and hooliganism, I have an SV650 which is in the same niche but I can't seem to get rid of it as it's not worth anything to sell and really is the perfect standard motorcycle.

Got a couple vintage '70s Hondas which I really cannot justify owning anymore as I ride the about once or twice a year, but, as they say, they don't eat anything so in the corner of the basement under a blanket they sit.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote