Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #31
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post
These posts from Southerners have me cracking up!

When I lived in Dixie, at night I ran into drunks, drunks with no lights on driving in the wrong lane on purpose, drunk armadillos, indian burial mounds, giant snakes and even a couple of drunk ranchers with one seriously spooked (drunk) horse.

I think this is why Southern Gothic novels are so superior to anything a Yankee can write......there is just far more bizarre, mythical and drunk shenanigans to write about.
So, are you insinuating that those of us of the south shouldn't allow our horses to get drunk when we are out having our evening libations?

We get pretty good at dodging drunks here in the south. Give them a wide berth, get way in front of them or pull over and take a break. If you pull over the drunks will usually clear the path for you going forward (trees, bushes, mailboxes). Also, assume that any vehicle with the lights off after dark is being driven by someone way over the legal limit (a cop taught me that one).

I have always loved riding after dark. Risk goes way up, but sometimes it is just worth it.

Doug in Kentucky
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
I do not ride after dark and before dawn, I wait 1-2hrs after daylight.

I like riding and don't want to take unnecessary risks.

ok, so you are "concerned" to ride in the dark or perhaps have eyesight issues... (for that matter I know individuals that otherwise are fine but do not drive vehicles on freeways... and this is in socal)

but what's up with the waiting 1-2 hours after daylight? is there an issue with the dawn tricking you in some way?
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
I have ridden early mornings and found out that, there were deers, rabbits, elks on the roads, normally they come out early mornings for breakfast????

So I avoid early morning rides and just wait a couple hours after daybreak, and if you pay attention, the traffic in the mornings are much more insane because there are people who are late and they tend to drive faster and run lights, also by experience, so I ride or drive with way more caution in the mornings, mostly the hours of 7:30am thru 9:30am.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #34
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Loud pipes
Scare wild animals and save lives.
Bought a loud hd today.
I will baffle it before riding though.
Peripheral vision I've always found to be all important.
take extra care at closing time for bars,pubs etc.
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #35
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,519
The SOLAS tip is great, need to get some of that.

Any comments about putting some on the fork lowers (or uppers for the USD crowd)? Back end placement is pretty clear, but it seems that we could gain fom some on the front, too.

I do find myself adjusting to the reduced sight distance at night. Nothing truly gets you like night riding in the rain. That is nothing to screw with. TBH, the other night, I (for some incredibly stupid reason that remains unknown to me) decided that traffic was too annoying to sit in, so I reflexively started splitting in the dark and in the rain. I am really happy that at some point I returned to my senses and did not end up in pain.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,617
I used to do a lot of night riding.
I used to work 2nd shift and got off work at 11pm, and would go for long rides. I did not own a car at the time, and really enjoyed the lack of traffic. Circles (round abouts) were great fun, these were high speed ones on major roads.

Deer did not seem to be much of a problem back then, I see a LOT more now then I did then.
Now I am older and the night vision has been reduced and things like jug handles/ramps freak me out a bit.

There were few police, and most did not work at night, so I do not remember ever getting a ticket late at night.

The only close deer call I ever had was on the BRP when 3 ran right in front of the bike within a few feet, but I was going slow having seen them on the side of the road. They ran real quick right when I got to them, maybe they get their kicks that way...

I was also on the BRP one night at 3am when the fog was so thick, all I could see was the center line. I did about 20 mph and hoped for the best.
That was quite intense, solo, 1000 miles from home, 3am on the road in fog so thick you could not see 5 feet.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #37
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Similar guidelines to daytime...see and be seen. Do NOT outride your sightlines.

Light up the bike with amber and red LEDs, front, back and sides. Red to the rear, and amber to the front. Go to www.superbrightleds.com and get their reflector tail/brake "bulb" that flashes 3x before going solid. I also put DOT red/white reflective tape on my topcase. Make sure you have a good headlight. HIDs are popular.

Wear hi-viz green with reflective patches on arms, legs, back, chest, and shoulders. Wear a white helmet with reflective tape on front, back, top, and sides. If you get tossed off the bike and are laying in the road, you don't want to get hit. Keep your faceshield clean.

Watch out for drunks. Watch out for vehicles with no frikken lights on. Use some LED fog lights to illuminate the road shoulders, show critters, and make your bike more visible.
I agree with everything except for using HID's in reflectors not designed for them, they create a widely dispersed glare that will have a negative impact on others, especially in fog or rain.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #38
shu

Oddometer: 902
For me it's a question of weighing how many difficulties I'm willing to risk, remembering that it's my life/well being that is being risked.

Just like decison making when riding out on 4 wheel jeep roads: If it's steep: ok; if it's rocky: ok; if it's steep and rocky: maybe not; if it's steep, rocky and wet: I'm out.

For night riding:
- Can I be seen by others or do I disappear in all the traffic and lights?
- How well can I see ahead; to the side?
-Can I see the differences in road color and texture that give me clues as to how the traction is changing?
- Is there a lot of traffic? Is that an advantage or disadvantage?
- Is the road well marked?
-Is the road in good repair?
-Is this open range with wandering livestock, deer or elk?
-Are there weather factors that interfere with safe riding?
-Am I hungry, thirsty, tired, nervous, cold, in a hurry?

Usually, once I start to analyze the differences between day and night conditions, I opt not to ride at night.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I like riding at night, I like riding in the rain, I will ride at night in the rain if I want to ride. I am lucky that I do not live in or around large cities, so spend most of my riding time on country roads or roads with out lots of traffic or light pollution. My GS has some of the worst lights I have ever seen on a modern 12v motorcycle so I have added a set of 6in Hellas and have them wired to come on with my high beams. One stayes directed into the right ditch about 50yards ahead of me.
Lots of dear and livestock on the roads around her, and yes have had close calls. The wild hogs have gotten bad around here the last few years and they do worry me. Most times even with enough light to burn the hair off them they are hard to see until it would be to late.
Every one has to ride there own ride, but at night with less traffic and the cool temps I find it very enjoyable.
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #40
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairsmith View Post
but at night with less traffic and the cool temps I find it very enjoyable.
Living in the hot and humid south can be a drain on the body, the coolness at night is a great relief when riding.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #41
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
I love riding at night.

I'd better, the 2nd half of my commute home from work is usually at midnight - I've been on 2nd shift for the bulk of 35 years !

Less traffic on the road, and cooler during the 9 month long Florida summers.

Additional lighting helps, especially driving through the Florida swamps at night. Deer, hogs, alligators, armadillos, oppossums, raccoons, coyotes, etc. The deer can act like giant squirrels if you catch them off-guard, but they generally are pretty aware. Hogs, on the other hand, just don't care - they will walk out like they haven't a care in the world.
Especially big black ones, when it is raining, trying to blend into the asphalt.
Red reflectors in the grass ? Could be a big gator getting ready to cross.

I still wouldn't trade the risks, for having to deal with more traffic on 1st shift.

(No turkey vultures at night, either. I heard of people getting knocked off the bike by them. You see a bunch of them by the side of the road during the daytime - slow down. One of them will usually fly up low in your direction !)
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going,
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #42
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
I have ridden early mornings and found out that, there were deers, rabbits, elks on the roads, normally they come out early mornings for breakfast????

So I avoid early morning rides and just wait a couple hours after daybreak, and if you pay attention, the traffic in the mornings are much more insane because there are people who are late and they tend to drive faster and run lights, also by experience, so I ride or drive with way more caution in the mornings, mostly the hours of 7:30am thru 9:30am.

gotcha. well it seems reasonable to relax on the deck enjoying the morning with a cup of coffee and watch the animals before heading out on your ride then.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #43
jrou111
Stair Climber

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post
These posts from Southerners have me cracking up!

When I lived in Dixie, at night I ran into drunks, drunks with no lights on driving in the wrong lane on purpose, drunk armadillos, indian burial mounds, giant snakes and even a couple of drunk ranchers with one seriously spooked (drunk) horse.

I think this is why Southern Gothic novels are so superior to anything a Yankee can write......there is just far more bizarre, mythical and drunk shenanigans to write about.
I can identify with this post really well. I ride a lot at night in rural AL, and have had some CRAZY things happen. Maybe I need to write some of them down sometime.
jrou111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #44
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
I enjoy riding on warm summer nights, but I don't anymore. The truth is I can't see very well at night so I don't even drive much after dark. When I'm traveling, though, I'm usually riding at dawn and knock off about 5pm. I try and watch for critters, but have had a couple close calls. And there are those rare times when I am caught out late and have to ride well into the darkness just to make my destination.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #45
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Well, thanks for all the advice everyone. Pantah, I still see fine at night but have been avoiding riding home from the gun shop where I work part time at night whenever possible just because I don't have to......However, last night my wife worked late and was riding her Versys from work to meet friends for dinner, so I told her I'd ride too and meet her at the restaurant. Friday night, possibly the worst night to ride. We had dinner at a Mexican restaurant about 12 miles from where we live. On the way, I saw one ass-hat driving without headlights even though it was way past time to have them on. Everyone seemed to be in a hurry, lot of tail gaiting going on, seemed everyone was in a hurry, either to get home or to get started on the week-end. In the restaurant, most were imbibing. We abstained entirely due to being on the bikes. Most who were drinking weren't drunk, but obviously impaired in my opinion based on their overly loud conversation, outbursts of really loud laughter and general demeanor, etc. I kept thinking that a large percentage of the cagers on our way home would be in similar condition. Luckily, we made it home without incident, but I was in hyper-alert mode all the way home. Keep in mind that we were driving in Phx. traffic on surface streets, where a lot of drivers seem to become rude, distracted and "me centered," when they get behind the wheel.