Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #46
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,050
I was thinking of this thread last night... After dark, unfamiliar road, raining... yeah, I slowed down.

I have not really realised how awful the headlamp on my F is until last night, with riding on the left (visiting Kent, UK). Time to invest in some aux lights.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #47
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
You really want to pucker up? Ride at night during a rain storm with a cross wind.
I had this experience earlier this week and did not enjoy it at all. It was windy all afternoon (~30mph sustained with gusts up to 50). But on my way home from a friends house after dark it threw rain into the mix. I didn't enjoy it one bit (Only about a week of riding experience so far). But I slowed down and took my time and made it back wet but safe.

I think everyone else has already said it, but at night just slow down and take your time. If you need to just allow a little extra time to get to your destination.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #48
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,061
Yeah, I know what you are saying about a loud crowd at dinner houses and bars. Since I bought my winter place near the Boulders, I find myself on Cave Creek Rd, Scottsdale Rd or Pima all the time. I have learned to keep my speed up around 55 so not to get run over. .

I am using my Yamaha as my only transportation right now, but expect to get a car when I come back in January. Anyway, I have come to learn why you are so sensitive to random traffic habits around there on the surface streets. I never noticed much until I had to ride everywhere. Whole new perspective. Particularly left turning cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Well, thanks for all the advice everyone. Pantah, I still see fine at night but have been avoiding riding home from the gun shop where I work part time at night whenever possible just because I don't have to......However, last night my wife worked late and was riding her Versys from work to meet friends for dinner, so I told her I'd ride too and meet her at the restaurant. Friday night, possibly the worst night to ride. We had dinner at a Mexican restaurant about 12 miles from where we live. On the way, I saw one ass-hat driving without headlights even though it was way past time to have them on. Everyone seemed to be in a hurry, lot of tail gaiting going on, seemed everyone was in a hurry, either to get home or to get started on the week-end. In the restaurant, most were imbibing. We abstained entirely due to being on the bikes. Most who were drinking weren't drunk, but obviously impaired in my opinion based on their overly loud conversation, outbursts of really loud laughter and general demeanor, etc. I kept thinking that a large percentage of the cagers on our way home would be in similar condition. Luckily, we made it home without incident, but I was in hyper-alert mode all the way home. Keep in mind that we were driving in Phx. traffic on surface streets, where a lot of drivers seem to become rude, distracted and "me centered," when they get behind the wheel.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote