Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #61
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
No XR650L rally bike? Pfft.
Got to keep the XRL to get back and forth to work! Don't have a car right now. Just happened to have the 450 hanging around and it's also got a plate on it. Should be fun when done. Will send it to California to live.
Also will be there for a Rally or two.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #62
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Hey all,
This is sorta related....

I mounted an ICO checkmate on my ktm 200 with a modified RAM mount. Any opinions on if this will work well? All of the other mounting kits I found are incompatible with the rounded tops of the ktm bar clamps, so this is what I ended up with. I don't love how high it is, but it seems like it should work ok...

roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #63
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
but it seems like it should work ok...
That will work. Watch out for the brake lines bouncing around under it.

I like the Scotts mount best. I think I needed a little spacer between the bar clamp and the Scotts on my 200, but I don't recall for sure.

You want to take care of that CheckMate because they are not making them anymore.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #64
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRMS View Post
That will work. Watch out for the brake lines bouncing around under it.

I like the Scotts mount best. I think I needed a little spacer between the bar clamp and the Scotts on my 200, but I don't recall for sure.

You want to take care of that CheckMate because they are not making them anymore.

Dave
I just gave Paul from Highway dirt bikes my ICO checkmated to make me a protective case. you might want to check with him because I think he will have the pattern soon and will be able to sell them
Dave
Old 03-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #65
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Hey all,
This is sorta related....

I mounted an ICO checkmate on my ktm 200 with a modified RAM mount. Any opinions on if this will work well? All of the other mounting kits I found are incompatible with the rounded tops of the ktm bar clamps, so this is what I ended up with. I don't love how high it is, but it seems like it should work ok...

Dude,

That Checkmate is garbage! Send it to me and I will send you a Trail Tech Endurance in trade…

wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #66
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,161
Rally Navigation Compass

I've been looking at Compass repeater options but have decided to go completely off the reservation and build my own Arduino based GPS Compass. It will have approx. the same footprint/size as my ICO but with an external GPS antenna.

Parts have been ordered.

If nothing else it should be a fun tech project
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #67
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
I've been looking at Compass repeater options but have decided to go completely off the reservation and build my own Arduino based GPS Compass. It will have approx. the same footprint/size as my ICO but with an external GPS antenna.

Parts have been ordered.

Cool!! Will it have a waterproof case? Love the idea!!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #68
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post

Parts have been ordered.

Make it a datalogger as well and I am onboard Sounds like a good project since you can find a hell of a lot of sensors for it

Wanted to get my hands on Arduino, but no time...
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #69
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I don't like how the Scott's ICO computer case mounts to the bar clamps. Just seems unnecessary. I really wish they made a version that was clamped to the handlebar between the bar clamps. That way it can at least rotate instead of breaking or if it breaks, won't damage my handlebar mounts in the middle of a ride...
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #70
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
My "New" ICO :D

Old 03-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #71
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

That's awesome. OG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trang View Post
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #72
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

AUTOmatic CALibration... give it a shot

Some recent posts in another thread remind me of a topic/tip...

Accuracy, as in "one mile is exactly one mile" is not really important in a rally odometer. What matters is that your instrument matches exactly the inaccurate roadbook.

With Rally Navigator, roadbooks match the GPS pretty closely, because it's all based on GPS datum. But relying on the coincidental use of Rally Navigator so that a GPS-based device will work is not a robust solution for a professional racing instrument. Often, the roadbooks supplied at rallies are quite inaccurate. Most rallies don't (yet!) use Rally Navigator for mileage.

This is where the "auto-cal" feature, pioneered by ICO as I understand, and also used on other rally odometers comes in. These instruments rapidly bracket in on the roadbook's mileage, AUTOmatically CALibrating themselves to match. You don't need to fuss with setting the wheel circumference to match the roadbook author.

Many view it as voodoo because it's automatic. I was taught not to trust it, but now I use it all the time. It works! So, give it a shot. Enable this feature on your ICO or other instrument.

Dave
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #73
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

By the way, this 22 year old ICO Pro Comp even has auto-cal. These were featured in the May 1992 issue of Dirt Bike magazine.

I have this one which is still running fine, and still using the original sensor cable. An RMS customer traded it in because he wanted the new style connectors.

Not the newest bling, but hard to beat the value after amortizing the cost over 22 years of off-road use.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #74
Leeexc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRMS View Post
Some recent posts in another thread remind me of a topic/tip...

Accuracy, as in "one mile is exactly one mile" is not really important in a rally odometer. What matters is that your instrument matches exactly the inaccurate roadbook.

With Rally Navigator, roadbooks match the GPS pretty closely, because it's all based on GPS datum. But relying on the coincidental use of Rally Navigator so that a GPS-based device will work is not a robust solution for a professional racing instrument. Often, the roadbooks supplied at rallies are quite inaccurate. Most rallies don't (yet!) use Rally Navigator for mileage.

This is where the "auto-cal" feature, pioneered by ICO as I understand, and also used on other rally odometers comes in. These instruments rapidly bracket in on the roadbook's mileage, AUTOmatically CALibrating themselves to match. You don't need to fuss with setting the wheel circumference to match the roadbook author.

Many view it as voodoo because it's automatic. I was taught not to trust it, but now I use it all the time. It works! So, give it a shot. Enable this feature on your ICO or other instrument.

Dave
Thats great, but does it not mess that all up when a rider like me takes the wrong turn goes along the wrong track for a mile or so then has to turn back and find the correct track then re set the ico, the ico does not know you went the wrong way it will just include that mileage in the calculation which will throw it out, so the next tulip will not be correct and I get lost again
Leeexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 AM   #75
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeexc View Post
Thats great, but does it not mess that all up when a rider like me takes the wrong turn goes along the wrong track for a mile or so then has to turn back and find the correct track then re set the ico, the ico does not know you went the wrong way it will just include that mileage in the calculation which will throw it out, so the next tulip will not be correct and I get lost again
Hi Lee

All the tripmasters with auto calibration feature, readjust the wheel diameter only if you do small changes. If you get lost, and then go back, both ICO and Rns will not take this as a correction (EDIT: Because this is a large correction. Usually the wheel diameter results in 10? Let's say 20meters wrong value. If you get lost, for sure you will do more before you go back. Still, if you do 20 meters, indeed the trip will take it as a correction. For RNS, I think the wheel diameter changes by 1mm at a time, for ICO is more, so that, will indeed result in a small change in the next tulip. Remember that the trip changed the diameter by 1mm. But then again, when you reach the next tulip, you will correct again. So the trip will readjust the diameter again) . The algorithm is what makes this a usefull feature. I.e. The incremental change in wheel diameter.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 12:58 AM
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote