Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
NHKTM990 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
front tire hop issue

OC-ers,
Have a 2012 990 Adventure R and love it. Since purchase I have noticed an up and down hop or pulse in the front end between 30-42mph. Dealer re-tourqued the head, no change, just got the new front stocker replaced under warrant yesterday, no change.
Mechanic (who seems disinterested at best, or actually annoyed) and now says the rim has a dent in it. You can see it but it is subtle and no sign iof high impact on rim edges.
Im thinking that the rim has been tacoed since the beginning and he either didnt say, or didnt notice. Anyone have similar probs. There is no head shake even when it is pulsing. and it is stable at high speed.
I am hoping that KTM keeps doing the right thing, I think Im do a new rim. Thoughts?
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Ick,, thats going to be a he-said she-said issue unless the dealer is really behind you..

Good luck!

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
I mean, I've bent mine and hammered it back into round as best I could... as long as the wheel is balanced reasonably well, it doesn't really seem to make much difference. Without the weights, I had hopping at similar speeds, and the steering would get wobbly much above highway speeds.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
You're not alone. Mine does it too. If I recall it's been discussed before and some blame the tires so switch and say it's better or fixed. I put a new OEM on the front and same thing. I may just deal with it for a while or maybe put a TKC80 on and have from a trip a while back. I don't recall any noticeable bounce with it like the stock.

Advise of a solution if something works for you.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
"The front end had an annoying hop around 35 mph - reported as somewhat common on the Internet. The balance is good and so is the run-out. Have read the Pirelli Scorpion can sometimes be like that. Replaced with a TKC-80 resolving the hopping issue and giving good gravel road traction."

Found this in my search so one support for the change...

Googled - https://www.google.com/#q=ktm+990+front+tire+hop+

Look down about 4 posts and there's a couple threads on here from a couple years ago.

SCflyer screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 11:34 AM
SCflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
At between 30 & 42? Ride faster or slower!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Scorpion
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,754
Don't do anything until you try a different brand of tire. The front Scorp 90/90-21 tire has had issues for the last 4 years or more. There's a good chance you've got two bad tires in a row.

My 2010 had a bad tire from the factory, it was round in the center, but the tread was not on straight and would cause a wobble when leaned over. It was worse when the pressure was lowered to 25 psi, not bad at max pressure (35 psi?).

It's winter now, good time to try a TKC-80 front.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
NHKTM990 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
I mean, I've bent mine and hammered it back into round as best I could... as long as the wheel is balanced reasonably well, it doesn't really seem to make much difference. Without the weights, I had hopping at similar speeds, and the steering would get wobbly much above highway speeds.
What Type Of Tools Did You Use To Pound The Wheel? Any Special Body Work Hammers Or Anything?
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
it will make it weaker just ride it.
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKTM990 View Post
What Type Of Tools Did You Use To Pound The Wheel? Any Special Body Work Hammers Or Anything?
I've straightened some light dents out. When you buy new rims, they are rarely perfectly true. Often, the welded part is twisted and the whole rim is taco'd. This is difficult to true using the spokes alone. You MUST pull the wheel down to work on it.

I have a band saw and a lot of maple wood. I've made supports to focus the hammering to exactly the right spot. Then use a 5 lb dead blow. It's easy to make it worse. Haven't had much luck using a press.

I'll lay the rim on my weld table (5x5 ft and 3/4" thick steel) to check it. I clamp it down and use a long pry bar to move it around. You can't fix every dent, many are too bent and will crack when straightened.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
oddshapedballs
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKTM990 View Post
OC-ers,
Have a 2012 990 Adventure R and love it. Since purchase I have noticed an up and down hop or pulse in the front end between 30-42mph. Dealer re-tourqued the head, no change, just got the new front stocker replaced under warrant yesterday, no change.
Mechanic (who seems disinterested at best, or actually annoyed) and now says the rim has a dent in it. You can see it but it is subtle and no sign iof high impact on rim edges.
Im thinking that the rim has been tacoed since the beginning and he either didnt say, or didnt notice. Anyone have similar probs. There is no head shake even when it is pulsing. and it is stable at high speed.
I am hoping that KTM keeps doing the right thing, I think Im do a new rim. Thoughts?
I've exactly the same issue on the same year (2012) mine is worse at 35 - 42 mph. So far I've had 2 new Scorps on the front and now on a full set of Conti Attack Trail 2's.
The dealer's had the bike back 5 times over the last few weeks, they've checked everything suspension wise and swear after 2 mechanics and the dealer himself rode the bike that there is no problem???

I'm starting to wonder of it's a fueling issue and the bike hunts where it's running lean in the mid-range, and as such, maybe a Power Commander or something would maybe sort it out.
My old GS used to hunt a bit which made it jolt forward a bit at certain revs in certain gears and with the soft suspension on the KTM I wondering if the jolts I felt on the GS are hops on the KTM.

Going to get an independent second opinion and if it can't be sorted it'll go!
oddshapedballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,231
In my experience with the bike (950A since late '04) the vibration you guys are experiencing is happening at what is called the fundamental first frequency of vibration of the front end assembly (the forks/sliders w/wheel assembly).

The excitation comes from out-of-round tires (typically Skorps), tires not seated fully on the rim, dented front rim, out of balance front wheel assembly, or a combo of all of these. Start by looking at this stuff.

If you feel pulsation back into the front brake lever check the brake mount tabs on the hub for axial runout, should be less than .002".

On long straights, I have stood up and watched the front wheel go back/forth in the forks at the right (or wrong!) speed in sync with the vibration I could feel through the bars. Can sometimes even see the out-of-round on a bad Skorp (be careful doing this for obvious reasons!)

The worst I had was a out of round Brazilian Skorp on a dented stock rim with a bent hub (almost forgot that part). Had to toss the tire and have Woodys flycut the brake mounts on the hub, they had axial runout of .005".
Where this runout came from was a mystery as I had not crashed the bike, only a slow mud-clogged front tipover north of LaPaz in construction zone.

The best was a Conti Trail Attack on a Woodys-assembled 1.85 Excel front with the HD spokes. The Conti is well made tire and stiffer carcass/compound than the Skorp, this pushes the tire vibration frequency up, maybe out of the realm of the front end, hard to say.

Hope that helps more than confuses!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
ride-for-life
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Yes when scorpions wear they wobble the bars at speed been throw that. But what sounds like is wrong is your wheel is out of true out of round up and down not left too right find a good wheel smith and problem should be solved. I had the same problem a few years back about the same speed your talking about and the wheel was out of round.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
My OEM Scorps were fine. Mounted Heidenaus and had issues as you describe. Rode Ohio to Colorado and back - no issues at speed. Figure it'll likely go away with a new tire.
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote