Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 AM   #676
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
There's a great podcast on PulpMX with Dave Arnold, team Honda manager back in the day. He says that Bayle mentally destroyed Stanton. One reason Stanton retired was he was worn out from the Bayle head games. It's an awesome podcast, several hours long. Dave Arnold has an incredible memory.

I think it up in the PulpMX archives somewhere.
I think there was a little more to it than just Bayle head games, It was like two separate teams under the Honda banner that refused to work together.

Bayle was benched from at least one race for refusing to help Stanton.

Those two hated each other.

2014 FE 501
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #677
Research Rat
thrasher

Oddometer: 690
When a racer says something to the effect of "yeah my fitness waned a bit at the end there, I've been sick for the last week and I'm still getting over it...." sounds like an excuse to me.

Again, something I noticed this season and not during any of last seasons, even during the same representative cold and flu season part of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack View Post
I suspect these guys aren't making excuses.
It is the cold and flu season.
News reports say it's one of the worst in quite a while.
I never get sick and I caught this bitch on New Year's day.
Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Research Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #678
Research Rat
thrasher

Oddometer: 690
Does Kawi have a say in the training program?

I assumed it was up to the riders to develop off season programs and pay out of pocket. Taking on a training partner may be more about whos willing to commit to the intensity of the progsm and to split the costs. At the time Roczen probably didnt seem as much a viable threat as the other riders that would of been available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
I was thinking the same thing about RV and Roczen training together. Does anybody have some insight as to how that relationship developed?

I would think Kawi wants RV to train with fellow Kawi riders, not to help better his competition? (I assume both Roczen and RV mutually benefit from each other as practice/training partners it just seems strange to me that they are on competing teams/brands).
Research Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #679
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,018
It seemed odd to me the way Vilapoto stuffed Stewart and went down himself,he had 6 or 7 laps to go,he could have paced it and passed when it wasnt such a do or die maneuver,maybe just an off night for Ryan.

Also a surprise to see Ryan D clumsily driving into Ryan V on the very last corner,didnt look too smooth or well planned and didnt work out well.
Dungey never does that sort of thing,but knocking guys down is getting more and more accepted for SX so gotta go with the flow.
Like wrestling,its the take-down move.

Yeah for Reed though! Hes had some rough seasons and Im sure many thought he was about done,he was flying and seemed to have a great feel for the slick track.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #680
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,745
In his heat race Dungey blocked and stuffed both of the RCH Suzuki guys, and he managed to squeak the last transfer spot for it.
He does seem a little 'stiff' when making these moves.

After watching the RV JS crash I really think JS's foot got put between RV' forks and he was just trying to not get hurt.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #681
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,267
1. This is not the MX of old where RC or MC would just dominate the entire field.

2. On any given day, any of the 10 top guys could win it all.The field is way deeper than it ever has been.

3. I have the flu now and came to work. I am dragging azz, but did not want to kill a sick day. I would not even wanna think about getting on a bike and trying to give 100%.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 08:40 AM
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #682
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
I think there was a little more to it than just Bayle head games, It was like two separate teams under the Honda banner that refused to work together.

Bayle was benched from at least one race for refusing to help Stanton.

Those two hated each other.
I think it was Kiedrowski, on 125s. Dave Arnold talks about that as well. I think they still paid Bayle a win bonus. If I recall Bayle said fine, I won't ride, but you're gonna pay me anyway. I will have to check out that podcast again.

The 80s/90s were some good times in SX/MX.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda

bigborefan screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 09:54 AM
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #683
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Villopoto bobbled in the last turn and Dungey was goin for it,"one of them racin deals"R.V. had to put his leg out to maintain balance.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #684
rwahl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Can you imagine the racing we'd have if Tomac, Millsaps & Canard were added to the current mix? Wow! Hopefully all will return soon.
rwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #685
wesley650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
1. This is not the MX of old where RC or MC would just dominate the entire field.

And I am so thankful for that. I used to get so bored watching RC run away from the pack and then the camera would focus on the fight for 6th or whatever. Beer helped . . . . . .

This season is so great I get an adrenaline rush and can't get to sleep afterward!
wesley650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #686
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 15,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwahl View Post
Can you imagine the racing we'd have if Tomac, Millsaps & Canard were added to the current mix? Wow! Hopefully all will return soon.
They're lined up at Aldon's house right now.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #687
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 44,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
They're lined up at Aldon's house right now.
the question is for what.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #688
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 15,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
the question is for what.

Not sure, but Canard has ordered a statue of him for above his fireplace.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #689
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Did anybody else think that when Reed passed JS, it caused James to hesitate as if he expected RV and seeing Reed fly by didn't register for a second or two?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #690
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Research Rat View Post
Does Kawi have a say in the training program?

I assumed it was up to the riders to develop off season programs and pay out of pocket. Taking on a training partner may be more about whos willing to commit to the intensity of the progsm and to split the costs. At the time Roczen probably didnt seem as much a viable threat as the other riders that would of been available.
I'm with you on the training partner, commitment and intensity. Training with another fast rider will only make both riders faster.

Kawi pays the bills (well, Kawi along with RV's sponsors) so I'd imagine they'd have something to say but I could be totally wrong - that's why I posed the original question. It made sense to me that he would train with Weimer and help out Cianciarulo. With Weimer out I figured another Kawi rider would fill in - Dean Wilson in the 250cc class or another Kawi 450 rider. I guess Roczen fit the bill and his results are surprising most people.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote