enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,620
JGR is still running Pirelli
Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #1337
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
I know very little about fractures of the spine, but I imagine that a small crack in one of the "spurs" is different than the main part being fractured. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #1338
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
The answer is always dope. Lots and lots of dope. Look at those eyes.

I was in charge of the sweep crew for the 1994 ISDE here in Oklahoma. On the 1st or 2nd day one of the Italian riders separated his shoulder. He would come into a checkpoint and get off his bike slumped sideways with tears in his eyes. Their team Dr. took him into a box van and shut the door. 10 minutes later he would come out of there like superman, jump on the bike and hauls ass to the next check or two when he needed to see the doc again. this went on for the last several days.

The Italians took the race mere seriously than anyone else. At every checkpoint there was some young girls spoon feeding fresh cut fruit to their riders. A guy looked the bikes over for signs of trouble. The rider never took his hands off the bars. They had people at every check keeping track of how every one was doing. Vern Street, Our scoring chairman said the Italians knew the days scores before he did. AND they had their own Dr.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #1339
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Jorge Lorenzo ( MotoGP ) had his collarbone plated on a Friday, and finished 5th or 6th on Sunday.
I think SX would be a far worse thing to be participating in broken.
I agree and Jorge highsided again the next weekend and bent the plate! I hope Chad plays it safe, but it would be awesome to see him out there!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #1340
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
I really don't want to see Chad racing. And I have already paid for my tickets to Dallas.

If, and that's a big if, he can be patched up with a strong plate or some such hardware, then maybe it would be as safe as any other race.

But then we are all just speculating about something we really know almost nothing about and if we did probably none of us here even begin to be qualified to offer advice as to race or not race.
Not much difference than when we pontificate on fitness trainers, tire choices, medical crews, etc, etc, etc.

But it sure is fun to do it anyway.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #1341
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
CR racing a week after three major broken bones is a little too gladiatorial to me, but I guess he's a big boy. But you do have to have some kind of reasonable medical guidelines and rules in place for this sort of thing. Otherwise, athletes will sacrifice the rest of their lives for this moment in the sun, and the sensible ones can't compete.

I really like CR, but my main thought if he races this weekend is that his bravery is only exceeded by his stupidity. Maybe I could see it if we were one or two races from the end and he was in the hunt, but I honestly don't think he has much chance to win the championship at his age - he's competitive, but you sense he's riding much closer to the edge to be competitive. The whoops are always the place where you can up the risk and reap the rewards, at least for a while. For the second time in three years, CR paid the piper.

Off subject a bit, but if you want to understand how badly things can get out of whack with respect to athletes playing injured, watch this Frontline piece on the NFL concussion problem.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...gue-of-denial/

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #1342
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Jorge Lorenzo ( MotoGP ) had his collarbone plated on a Friday, and finished 5th or 6th on Sunday.
I think SX would be a far worse thing to be participating in broken.
Then not much later he Bent the new titanium plate in another horrendous getoff,and came back from that to go like hell as quick as possible. How he could hang onto a Moto-Gp bike under the full on braking/throttle they do is beyond many people.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #1343
RockBreaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Think about it . If chad says he's going to race everybody is talking about him, he says on top of the news and gets a lot of attention
"THATS WHAT HE LIVES FOR" and cashes in on.

He probably has no plans to race, he'll just show up for practice and ride a little say he can't hold on or some better scripted BS and park it.

Meanwhile everybody is saying what a bad ass he is.

That's assuming that he's even really hurt

I used to be a big fan of his until this year (I think he's dirty now).
RockBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #1344
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBreaker View Post
Think about it . If chad says he's going to race everybody is talking about him, he says on top of the news and gets a lot of attention
"THATS WHAT HE LIVES FOR" and cashes in on.

He probably has no plans to race, he'll just show up for practice and ride a little say he can't hold on or some better scripted BS and park it.

Meanwhile everybody is saying what a bad ass he is.

Dirty for winning races by going faster then others with out knocking other riders down? Or just doesnt wash his hands enough?
Dirty?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #1345
RockBreaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Dirty for winning races by going faster then others with out knocking other riders down? Or just doesnt wash his hands enough?
Dirty?
Lance Armstrong dirty
RockBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #1346
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,772
Not getting what you're saying RockBreaker? CR22 was riding way dirtier in 2011 (as was Bubba) than now.

Did Chad really say he was racing this week or that "he would be there?" My impression is that he'd be there for the fans but not racing.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #1347
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBreaker View Post
......gets a lot of attention...... "THATS WHAT HE LIVES FOR"

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #1348
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
First of all please don't tempt me to comment on Charmichaels intelligence, I'm sure he's a great guy and his record speaks for itself, in more ways than one.

2nd of all. And this might hurt for some people with very small brains to read....if Roger DeCoster went to Aldon Baker with a blank check and said "Aldon you fill in the figures you are leaving RV and coming with RD", and he did, please tell me what the outcome would be?

So I asked you a direct question and your only response is to question RC's intelligence?

I'll repeat the question here and give you another chance to dodge it...

Flug, you are the big Baker-hater, how do you explain that he gets hired and paid BIG MONEY by the very best in this sport? Are guys like Villopoto, Stewart and Carmichael just that stupid?

And if your only response is to again speak to RC's stupidity please enlighten us as to your first hand knowledge of such. And am I then to assume Stewart and RV are that stupid as well?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #1349
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,620
Don't forget Roczen
Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #1350
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
Did Chad really say he was racing this week or that "he would be there?" My impression is that he'd be there for the fans but not racing.
This is now 24-hrs old, but...

http://www.fullnoise.com.au/news/ind...e+Broken+Bones

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote