Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Rule #5 (10 things I've Learned from 10 Crashes)

5. It’s Always Your Fault, No Matter What
Here’s the thing about riding a bike: you’re taking your life into your own hands. There’s no steel safety cage, no airbags, no crumple zone, its just you and your wits against the world. If you ask me, that’s what makes riding so great, but it also means you need to make a fundamental shift in your thinking. It doesn’t matter what it says on the police report or the insurance papers or that the teenage chick was texting her boyfriend when she hit you; all that matters is she hit you. And you could have prevented it, you needed to, it’s your life, not hers.

So go out there and actively take your own life into your own hands. No excuses. Someone hit you from behind at a stop light? Why weren’t you flashing your brake lights? Why didn’t you slow down early to bring them to a controlled stop? Why were you stopped in the lane and not on the margin?

Car turn left in front of you? Why didn’t you see it coming? Why couldn’t you brake harder? Why weren’t you more visible?

You have the tools to ride safely, it’s up to you to use them. No one else is going to do it for you.

From: http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-thin...cycle-crashes/
Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,458
I agree with you almost 100%. But I do think there are the occasional accidents where it really can't reasonably be avoided (Deer out of the woods, for example). But those instances are far fewer than people acknowledge. I've always felt that 99% of all accidents happened because two parties weren't paying enough attention. Sure, one party may be totally legally responsible, but that's not to say the other party couldn't have avoided it with reasonable diligence.

And on a motorcycle, that can be a matter of life and death. I think a lot of people don't take accidents where the other party was "at fault" as learning experiences.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
beendog
Banned

Oddometer: 17
And even still with deer. We can slow by 10mph, we can avoid riding in high deer traffic areas etc...
beendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Here’s the thing about riding a bike: you’re taking your life into your own hands........
Yes, but it is so much easier to blame others rather than take responsibility for my actions

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I agree with you almost 100%. But I do think there are the occasional accidents where it really can't reasonably be avoided (Deer out of the woods, for example). But those instances are far fewer than people acknowledge. I've always felt that 99% of all accidents happened because two parties weren't paying enough attention. Sure, one party may be totally legally responsible, but that's not to say the other party couldn't have avoided it with reasonable diligence.

And on a motorcycle, that can be a matter of life and death. I think a lot of people don't take accidents where the other party was "at fault" as learning experiences.

Agreed... But I put the number at 98%. (could have been/should have been avoided)

I wouldn't want to be confused with those 1%'rs

I wonder if they would take offense if we wore 2% patches?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Stop using that word when discussing these kinds of events. Use 'collision' or 'crash'.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
We are supposed to listen to someone who had 10 crashes?
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 10-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
They need to move the deer crossing signs so the deer will cross the road in slower traffic areas where it makes more sense. Maybe put them at school crossings?
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
We are supposed to listen to someone who had 10 crashes?
ALL: Yes. I would think so.
I would bet that Hillary, before he got to the top, asked a lot of people who didn't make the top of Everest and fell off, "What seemed to be the problem?" I believe that the Wrights kept track of others' progress for similar reasons.

Not counting 'dirt fun' crashes, I probably have 20-30 crashes to my credit, lifetime, so far. And I am reading this thread hoping to pick up something useful.

OTOH: I have followed a few riders who have never crashed or fallen off. If I had to ride like that all the time, I would sell the bike and be done with riding ever again.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Here’s the thing about riding a bike: you’re taking your life into your own hands. There’s no steel safety cage, no airbags, no crumple zone, its just you and your wits against the world. If you ask me, that’s what makes riding so great, but it also means you need to make a fundamental shift in your thinking. It doesn’t matter what it says on the police report or the insurance papers or that the teenage chick was texting her boyfriend when she hit you; all that matters is she hit you. And you could have prevented it, you needed to, it’s your life, not hers.

So go out there and actively take your own life into your own hands. No excuses. Someone hit you from behind at a stop light? Why weren’t you flashing your brake lights? Why didn’t you slow down early to bring them to a controlled stop? Why were you stopped in the lane and not on the margin?

Car turn left in front of you? Why didn’t you see it coming? Why couldn’t you brake harder? Why weren’t you more visible?

You have the tools to ride safely, it’s up to you to use them. No one else is going to do it for you.

From: http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-thin...cycle-crashes/
This. Nicely put, Dakez. Especially paragraph 2 which points right at the fact that there is much more to 'traffic management/risk management' than many riders ever dream of.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by beendog View Post
And even still with deer. We can slow by 10mph, we can avoid riding in high deer traffic areas etc...
Or you could speed up.....then, you would already be past that point on the road when the deer decides to cross...
CSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Sums up my views on self defense.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #14
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
I would not say absolute 100%, theres's that .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000001% chance and airplane will fall out of the sky on your head
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #15
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Agreed... But I put the number at 98%. (could have been/should have been avoided)

I wouldn't want to be confused with those 1%'rs

I wonder if they would take offense if we wore 2% patches?
Yeh not all
Most of mine could have been prevented
Except for the one that took
Off from a park position
Across 3 lanes of traffic
Sideways in front of me.
I just took off from a set
Of lights, so was going slowly.
Smashed front end.
Coppers would not book him
He said someone sideswiped him
He took off to chase.
But the sideswipe fucked his steering
Still see red and that was 35 years ago.
But the rest yep, most my fault.
The rest could have been avoided.
Cheers

Oh I went over his car got up
Punched out his window.
He stayed in the car
Lucky for me.
He was built like a brick shit house.
I would have been double smashed.
Lol
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote